Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2002, 04:49 PM   #1
Alexander
Drow Warrior

I'm on Chapter 5, and I have entered the giant palace with the Ice Salamanders. On the lower level with the slaves I don't take any damage, however once I reach the upper level where the Ice Salamanders are, everyone in my party starts taking Cold Damage. Is there a reason for this, and is there any way to keep it from happening?
Old 10-11-2002, 05:17 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Ice Salamanders have an Ice Shield around them - anyone within range will take cold damage every round. Only way to not take damage is to be immune to cold (difficult) or keep them at distance.

Being Ice Salamanders a fireball or 6 should keep them at bay, although arrows and bolts work nearly as well.

And yes, Fire Salamanders have a Fire Shield and cause Fire damage.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:43 PM   #3
Jim
Quintesson

This shield is also active when they're dead, so if you're standing over the corpse of one then once per round you will still take the cold damage.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 05:53 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim:
This shield is also active when they're dead, so if you're standing over the corpse of one then once per round you will still take the cold damage.
AFAIK it isnt. I certainly remember the shield going down when I killed them, and I did spend time walking around afterwards so I would have noticed if it was still active. It might be a bug, in which case my habit of patching everything saved me. Downloading the patch might help.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:57 PM   #5
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

My tactic with them was to stay away and used ranged attack, and have my mage summon creatures, and cast cold protection spells, or storm shields. I really disliked the frost salamanders even more so then the fire and yet for some strange reason this was one of my favourite areas in the game. Maybe I thought the huge aquarium with all the frozen creatures was neat or the sound of the wind whistling through the corridors.

[ 10-11-2002, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 06:04 PM   #6
Jim
Quintesson

It could have been a bug, it's been a while since I played that area but I'm fairy sure that my party was still taking cold damage after I'd taken the salamanders down. This could have been due to the shield still being active after they were slain or perhaps that particular area causes a steady rate of cold damage?

Who knows, I'm playing through again now with the latest patches so I'll know for sure soon enough [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 07:26 PM   #7
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

the druid spell cloudburst will do minor damage to the Salamanders and extinguish their ice shield, very nice if you can lead them through one to melee with one of your fighters