Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2008, 08:29 PM   #11
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Default Re: How can you tell if someone is lying to you?

I've long ago figured out any "tells" that my close friends have, so they never get anything past me

When dealing with a stranger or someone who I don't know very well, I just look at the eyes. A good liar won't do some sort of eye-darting movement or avoid eye contact to make it obvious, but still, eyes almost always carry a message. If that message is at all different than what they're saying, then they're lying. At least, that is what I've found in my experience.

When I lie, I try to avoid doing anything that, if I was looking at myself, I'd recognize as a "tell". I act casual, using my usual banter and eye contact. I also try to keep them simple, so that for the duration of the lie I can actually somewhat believe what I'm saying.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:07 PM   #12
Chewbacca
Zartan

Smiley Re: How can you tell if someone is lying to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target View Post
Are they also likely to smile, grin or sometype of smirk?
Depends. Sometimes the prospect of getting away with it produces a thrill and the urge to smile. Other times smiling is an automatic behavior which conceals the weakness of nervousness and to a lesser extent sometimes guilt.

Again it all depends! The particular circumstances behind the lie and the individual nuances of the alleged liar's personality are what makes this kind of behavioral tell and reliable or not.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:54 AM   #13
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Why do you ask anyway?
Old 01-03-2008, 08:01 AM   #14
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

How 'bout asking them?

If you really, really want to get to the truth, and don't care what the potential liar thinks about you, you could try verifying the truth content of the potential lie yourself. Search the basement for traces of blood. Watch the security tapes. interrogate witnesses. Watch a few episodes of CSI. Note, that a blatant display of mistrust like this might offend the alledged liar.

Basically it boils down to how much you trust the someone.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #15
Elif Godson
Dracolich

It all, as has been mentioned, about the person, if they are known to you, a stranger, what ever, there is no real set pattern. Eyes work for some, body language for another, and then theres just that good ole' gut feeling that you get when something is amiss. Lie detectors are no good, they can be faked, vein movement is not a constant, it can flux due to emotional stress, any stress for that matter, caffeine levels, blood sugar levels etc... and on some people its a dead give away, its all about the person you are conversing with or grilling for information.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:04 PM   #16
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have been able to lie my way out of things pretty well, even with people that have known me enough to know my mannerisms, as well as strangers.

I think its like acting out a skit impromtu, though experience perfects the performance and hardens the nerves.

As a side note, retail reps. for stores that need to convince people to buy things (like at Circuit City) learn to come up with fantastic stories to make most people believe them.

Last edited by Larry_OHF; 01-04-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #17
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightscape View Post
There is always eve movement.

http://www.blifaloo.com/info/lies_eyes.php
I absolutely love that link!

Can I get a personal one on one with these guys?

As you all know, I'm different, and my eyes, are just that, my situational awareness monitors. They are trained, as is my subconscious muscle movement to wander, and to take in what is happening. Many people on their first introduction of me begin to appear nervous, as they are in anticipation of what is going on behind them, or around them, as my eyes mechanically move through their quadrants of observation from near to far.

My eyes are of blue/grey color, and they have a tendency to go cold-grey when something is not as it was, this heightens those around me who know me, others may fail to recognize the meaning and think I'm off topic, which for the most part, is true at that moment.

In a nut shell, the eyes are not always indicative of what the person is saying but more so, what the person might be aware of that you are not.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:38 AM   #18
thecarrotdude
Zhentarim Guard

You beat the truth out of them.

"Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler..."
- Milton Waddams
thecarrotdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:50 AM   #19
DrowArchmage
Mephistopheles

you could beat the truth outta them i suppose, but i've never had that problem, i was born with a built in lie detector i guess. If someone's talking to me on the phone and they lie, i know about it from either their slight hesitation or the change in their voice. If their in front of me........most aren't dumb enough to lie to my face, but i do miss one or two every once in a while.

-al'Lan Mandragoran, Last Lord of the Seven Towers
DrowArchmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:38 AM   #20
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarrotdude View Post
You beat the truth out of them.
Perhaps, but if they turn out to have been telling the truth the whole time you look like a major jerk with anger control issues. On top of that mostly for adults not sure with minors, but you get to face assault & battery charges.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote