Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2002, 11:02 AM   #1
Moni

I don't know what its like in the rest of the U.S. beyond Arizona maybe when it comes to women and their make-up and the way society percieves those who do or don't wear it, but here in Texas, a woman won't leave her house if its on fire until she has her make-up on.
People here see make-up as necessary a part of getting dressed as a clean pair of underwear. You just don't go anywhere without it. (or shoes for those of you who don't wear underwear )

Not being a big make-up wearer, I was a bit disturbed to find out that other's perceptions of me include things like "Well, she must not care very much about herself." or "She just must be too poor to buy any." when I dare go to the grocery store or the Post Office without any make-up on! Neither of those conclusions coud be farther from the actual truth, they are just based on the observation that I went out of my house without any make-up on!

I do wear a little when I bother to wear any...eye-liner, eye-shadow, mascara, blush & lipstick but that is still "not enough".
According to local standards, I need to use the foundations & powders as well, not to mention an actual hairstyle (I wear long straight locks with bangs) in order to be socially acceptable to those I should consider pleasing before thinking about pleasing myself.

Personally, I see the use of great gobs of make-up as a way to hide one's actual face, or a way to enchance great beauty. Since I am neither greatly ugly nor greatly beautiful (in my own eyes) I see the little I wear as enough to just highlight the features of my face if I feel like bothering with any at all.

I am well aware I can be a fairly anal person when it comes to the work I do and the process I use to do it but I find this anal approach to wearing make-up a bit over the edge.

What's it like with you, the women in your life/at your jobs, and in your own communities?

Old 09-08-2002, 11:16 AM   #2
skywalker
Banned User

My wife wears very little makeup, just like you, except I don't think she even owns any lipstick (she does use chapstick! ). I think she feels that too much makes you a phony and she's always been into the "natural look". Her hair is cut short and has little style to it, but it looks just fine.

And same as you, she is not ugly nor beautiful, but in the words of Goldilocks..Just Right!

The old line "You can't judge a book by it's cover" applies quite nicely, The ones who look down on others are the shallow ones, of course. I believe women should be proud of who they are and how they look, sans heavy makeup.

And hopefully to not sound too chauvinistic...I think you are cutie just as you are!

Mark
Old 09-08-2002, 11:30 AM   #3
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Moni, like you, welive in Texas, and Galadria won't leave the house without concealer, lipstick, mascara, and other items too numerous to mention, especially since I don't know the names of them. She says that she has to "look professional."
Old 09-08-2002, 11:30 AM   #4
Lioness
Jack Burton

Make up? What's make up?
Old 09-08-2002, 11:32 AM   #5
Moni

You can always tell me what a cutie you think I am Mark! I don't see compliments between gender as being chauvinistic from either side and I think you are quite handsome myself, if I may say so!

I think you are right about the shallow comment. The people in this community are mostly avid church-goers too, and you can better believe they put their make-up on when they go to church too! Which brings me to ponder the Jezebel sermons and why they don't make these devout "Christians" see themselves in a different light. I guess that's a subject for another thread though lol. What I am looking for here is feedback from other U.S. communities and other countries on the subject of make-up itself.

I don't see anything wrong with the way I present myself...I shower and wash/comb/brush my hair and I wear clean/nice (as in not ripped up, worn out or full of holes) clothes, anti-perspirant and perfume...you think that would be enough lol.

Old 09-08-2002, 11:37 AM   #6
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Moni, like you, welive in Texas, and Galadria won't leave the house without concealer, lipstick, mascara, and other items too numerous to mention, especially since I don't know the names of them. She says that she has to "look professional."
I find "looking professional" quite acceptable for a job or social outing but would she go to the grocery store or post office without it and if not, could she provide us with an answer as to why not? Would it be because she doesn't want people to see the more casual side of her (i.e. she always has to appear professional in public?)
Also, could you ask her what her perceptions of women who don't wear make-up or wear little make-up are?
If she says its all her own damn business, that's quite alright

Do you think if your house were on fire, she'd have to have her make-up on before she left it? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-08-2002, 11:39 AM   #7
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

OMG i must take on some maskara before i go to work! Mwhahaha
Old 09-08-2002, 11:48 AM   #8
Moni

LMAO Megabot! Don't forget the eyeliner or you'll just ruin the whole look!

Old 09-08-2002, 11:49 AM   #9
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Okay, Moni, this is what she says, roughly: (no quotes allowed) [img]smile.gif[/img] She feels as though she has to have makeup on, whenever she leaves the house, except in an emergency. She says that she feels better about herself when she is looking her best. She says that she doesn't care if other women are wearing makeup, as long as they are clean, suitably dressed, and "put together," which she further explains is looking like you care about yourself and your appearance. Oh, and that your costume is suitable for your age and physical condition, by which I take it, no skin showing if it does not deserve to be shown off.
Okay, she looked this over and approved it with a few small changes. She adds that she does not take as much trouble to go to the post office or grocery store as out to dinner, but will not go to either place without being dressed suitably to go to the office.
EDIT:to get out of trouble

[ 09-08-2002, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Attalus ]
Old 09-08-2002, 12:13 PM   #10
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Okay, Moni, this is what she says, roughly: (no quotes allowed) [img]smile.gif[/img] She feels as though she has to have makeup on, whenever she leaves the house, except in an emergency. She says that she feels better about herself when she is looking her best. She says that she doesn't care if other women are wearing makeup, as long as they are clean, suitably dressed, and "put together," which she further explains is looking like you care about yourself and your appearance. Oh, and that your costume is suitable for your age and physical condition, by which I take it, no skin showing if it does not deserve to be shown off.
Okay, she looked this over and approved it with a few small changes. She adds that she does not take as much trouble to go to the post office or grocery store as out to dinner, but will not go to either place without being dressed suitably to go to the office.
EDIT:to get out of trouble
Thank you both for the input!
I can't really relate to the feeling better about myself when I am looking my "best". I feel just as good about myself in casual clothing and without make-up as I do in dressier styles with some.

I do understand about the style of dress thing...I quit wearing short shorts and bikinis after I turned forty (even though I still have the body I had when I wore them), simply because it feels inappropiate for a woman "my age" to be wearing them (I guess that is kind of caving in to social pressures put on older women) and I have a sister I wouldn't accept payment to be seen in public with...pushing 45, wears all the make-up and looks OK til you get below her neck lol...skimpy, "loud" clothes and lots of skin, just atrocious. (I call her Hooker Barbie )