Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 12:26 AM   #1
Raffin
Dungeon Master

I've been playing IWD 2 for a while, and, while I know the requirements classwise for the sneak attack/backstab bonus damage, I never can put my finger on the in game trigger.

Is it attacking a monster/hostile that is being attacked by another of your characters or allies? (ie., flanking)
Is it the first melee attack a invisible or hidden in shadows character makes?
Or is it something else?

I'm currently playing with a deep gnome rogue/ranger (equal parts) as a backup melee-er, and I'd be interested to know what will, and what will not, trigger the bonus damage.

Anyone know from in game experience? I know the strategy guides are split, which is why I'm asking here (where most of the smart players hang out [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Raffin
Raffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:32 AM   #2
Karrde
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm not sure If this helps, but I try to state it with the official D&D 3.x sneak attack rules.
But I honestly do not know if all rules are implemented by Bioware..

1) Surprise Attack:
If you encounter an enemy who is not aware that he will be attacked soon, then he is surprised and (in game terms) flat-footed.
Flat footed means that the enemy may not use his dexterity modifier for his AC. Plus, the rogue may use range attack weapons for this attack.
This isnt he only option where you can sneak attack with ranged weapons.
Furthermore, this action only takes place in the 1st round (the enemy isnt surprised anymore after Round 1).
So, you can make a ranged sneak attack vs a flat-footed opponent in round 1 if the opponent is surprised /ambushed. Normally this only works if the opponent is within a range of 30 ft.

AFAIK; Bioware did not implement this sneak attack in IWD2.

2) Not able to defend himself:

The second (and most common) way to deal sneak attacks is the attack vs. an opponent who cannot defend himself effectively.
the rogue aims a sensitive part of the body and deals additonal damage (sneak attack damage).

And enemy cannot defend himself effectively if:
a) he is flanked
b) his AC-Bonus from the dexterity modifier is denied (regardless whether the enemy has a dex-modifier actually).
c) surprise range attack in round 1, see above

So, if another fighter attacks the enemy and your rogue attacks him too (a little bit later than the fighter so that your enemy will attack the fighter and not you), he can sneak attack (flank) him.
The sneak attack deals additional 1d6 damage and another 1d6 every 2 rogue levels (2d6 at lvl3, 3d6 at lvl5 and so on).

the other case beside flanking is the denied dex-modifier. Every time an enemy cannot use his dex-modifier, the rogue may start a sneak attack.

There are different cases for losing dex-modifier.
If the enemy gets attacked and cannot react, then he will lose his dex-modifier.
Examples:
- You cannot react vs. attacks from invisible attackers
- You are caught flat-footed through a surprise attack
- You are stunned, paralyzed etc.. (unable to react caused by spells)

After all, you can deal sneak attack in 3 cases:

- surprising assault (ranged allowed) in round 1
- flanking an enemy which does not attack you
- having an enemy who cannot use his DEX-AC-Bonus

the round 1 sneak is not implemented in IWD2 AFAIK.

You can not deal sneak attack against enemies with no sensitive body parts, such as undead, constructs etc.

[ 11-08-2005, 05:36 AM: Message edited by: Karrde ]
Karrde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:36 AM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

AFAIK the way sneak attack has been implemented in IWD2 is:

If the rougue is flanking (attcking from sides or behind) the opponent he will be dealing sneak attack every round as long as he is flanking and the opponent is attacking somebody else. The rogue doesnt have to be invisible, though being invisible could get him into position more easily.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:17 PM   #4
Raffin
Dungeon Master

ZFR,

Thanks for clearing that up. With that in mind, my rogue/ranger should work well in the second or third slot, as a melee flanker.
Raffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:44 PM   #5
Magness
Quintesson

Raffin, keep in mind that if you play a multiclassed ranger/rogue, your R/R won't be maximizing his sneak attack damage potential.

I've actually played a pure rogue in IWD2 and had him sneak attack in melee as often as possible. He was rather devastating in this role, although you have to be much more careful doing this in HOF mode as having a sneak attacking rogue outside of your party's defensive perimeter can be a rather risky thing for the poor rogue.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote