Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2003, 01:22 PM   #1
Irie word of Jah
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I was looking at the defenders of the dale site and noticed in the Adventure pary section he has characters set as Archers, spellswords, swashbucklers, medics etc. How can I make those type of players in IWD2. I loved being the swashbucklers, Assassins and skalds in BG2
Old 11-01-2003, 02:17 PM   #2
Magness
Quintesson

Irie, Defenders of the Dale is my site, so I think that I can safely tell you why I use those titles (i.e. swashbuckler, spellsword, etc.).

It's all about the multiclass combos and attitude.

I see a swashbuckler as a fighter/rogue who lives, fights, and plays with a lot of "swagger" in his or her style. For example, check out Ranya in the Goblin's Bane party for an example of a swashbuckler.

A spellsword is technically most any class or class combo that combines tanking abilities with spellcasting. For example, in some people's opinions, a paladin or a ranger is techically a "spellsword". However, I think that most people tend to think of a fighter/mage as a more true "spellsword". The exact number of fighter-to-mage levels is a matter for debate. For an example of a spellsword build, look at Zatar in The Ravens party.

As far as a skald is concerned, I'm not really sure that there's a good way to make a BG2-ish Skald character in IWD2. A Blade would just seem to be a fighter/bard combo. But a skald seems impossible, since the bard songs available do not change. They are what they are. IMHO, it kinda stunk that BIS didn't add a couple more bard songs for higher level bards. Or perhaps some optional bard songs that could be "bought" as Feats, in the same way that there are some druidic shape changes that could be cought as feats.

It's possible to actually simulate a number of BG2 kits in IWD2 with some imaginative multiclass combo-ing.

For example...

A Stalker kit could be seen as a ranger/rogue combo.

An Archer might be a high DEX ranger that wears only leather and takes at least 4 levels of fighter to get "mastery" in Bow, and takes the Rapid shot feat.

A Beast Master ranger might simply be a ranger that chooses to only memorize the summon animal ranger spells.

An assassin kit could be a rogue that has enough alchemy skill to get the envenom weapon Feat. (Not really worth the trouble IMHO.) Other than that, an assassin rogue might just be a rogue that really focuses on using his Sneak Attack ability a LOT!!!

A cavalier would be a paladin that took the Fiendslayer Feat.

An Inquisitor might be a pally that took the Heretic's Bane feat.

An Undead Hunter might be a pally that took the Improved Turning and Extra Turning feats.

The Berzerker kit might just be a fighter that took 1 level of Barbarian for the barbarian rage.

All it takes is a little imagination.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 02:26 PM   #3
Magness
Quintesson

Here's a document that I wrote up a few months ago on the topic. Plase note that these are only ideas on how to use the already existing IWD2 classes, skills and feats to simulate the BG2 kits.

BG2 Kits for IWD2

Below are a few ideas for people that might want to play a BG2-like kit character in IWD2. I did NOT include any and all feats (or skills) that a character of that "kit" might want to take, only the ones that seemed to be "necessary".

Paladin:

Cavalier:
Consider starting as a Paladin of Ilmater and multiclass in a level of cleric of Ilmater, so that you can memorize Remove Fear.
Take the Fiendslayer feat (requires 2 points in Large Sword or Greatsword).

Inquisitor:
Arguably, an Inquisitor should be a Paladin of Mystra, simply because it fits the class description (i.e. "They seek out evil spellcasters").

Getting the Dispel Magic "ability" requires taking 5 levels of Wizard (take Paladin of Mystra). Arguably, you could wait until you're a level 12 paladin to get access to the pally version of Dispel Magic. I suppose that you could just ignore the Inquisitor's Dispel Magic ability.

The easiest way to simulate the immunity to Hold and Charm is to simply have a high WIS and/or CHA to have a high Will Saving roll. Perhaps take the Iron Will to simulate improved resistance to these types of spells.

Arguably, an Inquisitor should be a Paladin of Mystra, simply because it fits the class description (i.e. "They seek out evil spellcasters").

Undead Hunter:
Take the Improved Turning and Extra Turning feats.

Ranger:

Archer:
Take a 2nd feat point in Bow immediately.
Take 4 levels of fighter to gain access to and take the 3rd feat point in Bow.
Take Rapid Shot and Precise Shot.

Beastmaster:
Simply always memorize Summon Animal 1, 2, 3, etc. as your ranger spells as they become available. Build your "beastmaster" with enough WIS to get the wanted Summon Animal spells.
Always max out your Animal Empathy skill.

Stalker:
Simply build some combination of ranger and rogue, perhaps ranger 2x/ rogue x, with plenty of focus on taking the stealthy skills.

Fighter:

Berzerker:
Multiclass in some levels of Barbarian.

Wizard Slayer:
Doesn't seem do-able with the available feats, skills, and classes in IWD2.

Kensai:
I suppose some combination of Fighter and Monk. I am no expert in Monk, so I don't know if this is really viable.

Rogue:

Bounty Hunter:
Doesn't really seem do-able. Traps just aren't a part of IWD2.

Swashbuckler:
Perhaps multiclass in 4 levels of Fighter to increase combat capability.

Assassin:
Start with a fairly standard rogue build. (High DEX, good INT)
Always max out the stealthy skills and build up alchemy ASAP.
Take the Envenom Weapon feat as soon as the pre-req's (1 level of Rogue, 8 points in Alchemy) are fulfilled.
Take a second feat point in small blades. (Don't all assassins aspire to fight with short swords and/or daggers?)
Also take the Weapon Finesse feat to match up with that high DEX and skill with the small blades.
Perhaps take the Crippling Strike feat (pre-req: 10 levels of Rogue).

Bard:

Blade:
MC in a few levels of Fighter (perhaps fighter 4).

Jester:
Once available, use "The Siren's Yearning" bard song (the confusing one available at level 9) a LOT!!!

Skald:
Use the 11th level "War Chant of Sith" (once available) or the 1st level "Ballad of Three Heroes" a LOT!!!

[ 11-01-2003, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Magness ]
Old 11-02-2003, 07:56 AM   #4
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

Magness, can we get a link to your site?

Thanks
Peytin of Rothmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 11:55 AM   #5
Magness
Quintesson

Here's the link:

Defenders of the Dale
Old 11-12-2005, 01:43 AM   #6
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Huge bump, but that looks like a really nice site there!
Old 11-12-2005, 10:04 AM   #7
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Cool, finally a blend of power with roleplaying!

Of course, the pureclass ranger nearly made me throw up .
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 10:43 PM   #8
Magness
Quintesson

Actually, Marty, I would almost always have a pure class ranger in my parties. Of course, I was playing a slightly modded ranger class, but regardless... I liked having a warrior that could stealth as good as a rogue because I would pair up my ranger with my rogue as a two-person scout/assassination team. While a high DEX ranger with the best leather armor doesn't seem to be quite as good at being a front line tank as your normal plated fighter or pally, he will do very well as a partner to a rogue in a scout and smash role. I'd have my rogue and ranger sneak around, if there were only a small number of enemies, I'd have them start the battle while the rest of my party was just out of visual range, and they'd come running to the sounds of battle. Very often, my ranger and rogue could make quick work of pairs of enemies.

Rangers may not be uber-powerful, but they can absolutely hold their own, if played to their strengths.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:47 PM   #9
Magness
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:
Huge bump, but that looks like a really nice site there!
Thanks. It's been nearly 1.5 years since I've updated it with anything new. I've been busy doing other things.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:44 AM   #10
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

The reason that I don't like rangers is probably due to my play style being anything butscout and smash.

The most I ever use ranger is adding a level on to a character for dual wielding feats. Still, maybe I'll make a "scout and smash" party some time [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Out of curiosity, what kind of modded ranger are you using?
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote