Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Default Any english term for this?

You can normally see this in a samurai movie. Two swordmen facing each other with their swords drawn. Then they charge and slash (one time) at each other.

Anybody know the english term for this?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Default Re: Any english term for this?

a couple come to mind, but I'm not sure it's what you're looking for.
primarily it sounds like a duel.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
Thoran
Galvatron

Sounds like tilting at the rail... but instead of puny swords, we Westerners used 10 foot long iron tipped lances.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoran View Post
Sounds like tilting at the rail... but instead of puny swords, we Westerners used 10 foot long iron tipped lances.
"Tilting at the rail"? Seems too long for a term no?

I usually use the japanese term "Battojutsu" to describe that fighting style ( Two swordmen with their swords drawn charge and then slash one time at each other ). Not really correct but I don't know any english term for that.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

A duel maybe?
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

So the term is "Duel"? Sounds too common.

Picture this...if I use "duel"

After fighting several hours in the tower with victory seemingly still far away. Henry decided to end their fight by suggesting a "duel".

Henry - Come James, let us end this fight once and for all. Let us see who will finally be victorious. Let us do a "duel".

James *scratch head * - We ARE dueling you idiot!!

The japanese term however seems nicer.

After fighting several hours in the tower with victory seemingly still far away. Henry decided to end their fight by suggesting a "Battojutsu".

Henry - Come James, let us end this fight once and for all. Let us see who will finally be victorious. Let us do a "Battojutsu".

James *snicker* - Very well then, this fight is going nowhere. I accept.

Now the problem is that, using a japanese term in an english sentense seems out of place.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I have actually wondered this too. There seems to be no english translation for it precisely. I guess they just use the native term inside an english sentence, the way they do with spanish and french sometimes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battojutsu
Old 03-13-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Ahh, I thought the fight started and ended with just the one blow. If they were going at it for awhile before that, I'm not sure what you would call it. Unless perhaps you avoided the what to call it and had one of your swordsmen declare that it's time to end it, or say "let's finish this!". something like that.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

It sounds like it is actually iaidō that you are talking about, and not battōjutsu, since the first is a kata purely based on a single smooth movement combining draw/strike/sheathe, whereas the kata in battōjutsu involve multiple cuts after the drawing of the sword.

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Hmm, there are different ways i suppose. Duel is the correct word for the context. Though the grammar is shot, I think. It would flow better using the verb over the noun.

E.g. 'Let us duel' instead of 'Let us do a duel'. Grammatically it would be 'let us HAVE a duel' anyway.

I agree with firestorm in a way. Just saying something related but non-specific would work just as well, although 'let's finish this' is one of those clichéd terms bastardised by most authors nowadays. Hehe. (What's wrong with a nice old archaic 'To arms!')

Japanese does seem slightly out of place, but not in principle, just because it doesn't happen to often. Theres plenty of French that could be used. He could shout the good old 'en garde' or it could be referred to as a 'affaire d'honneur'. Both are acceptable in most English. Japanese hasn't made it as far into english though I'm afraid. Unless you wanted him to shout 'Now, James! Commit Hari Kari upon my sword!'...

No... no that just doesn't work.