Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2000, 01:10 AM   #1
Chris
Welcomed New User

I noticed in BG II there is a super weapon for paladins... so I made my proficiency in the type of weapon thats similar to it..

I'm not sure of the type's of weapons in IWD... so what should a Paladin or Warrior become proficient in? Great Sword? Large Sword?

Thanks,
Chris
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2000, 08:41 AM   #2
Larr2

That is all based on your personl preference. Of course, if you want a shield, you must take the long sword, not the great sword. If you are so strong that you believe that the best defence is a quick offence, the two handed swords are your thing.
There IS a Paladin Sword in Icewind Dale...In Lower Dorn's...in a house where the whole town seems deserted. It is where the Umber-hulk jumps out at you. Well, I think it is a Two-handed sword...
Old 11-10-2000, 08:57 AM   #3
marco
The Magister

in my party my two front fighters are proficient in large swords ( using the trusty bastard sword) and also minors in mace/flail. this gives a nice rounding feature ( the club family for a bone type creatures and the sword family for all others).
marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2000, 09:09 AM   #4
Chris
Welcomed New User

Thanks all.

Only problem is.. coming across a great weapon.. I have a paladin and warrior in group and it happens to be something OTHER than what they are proficient in. Thats a bummer.

I guess there isn't enough variety of weapons in the game perhaps.
Old 11-10-2000, 01:16 PM   #5
Khanar Tor'vel

Isn't there some 2 handed Great Sword called "Justice" for Paladins? I'm not sure if you can find it everytime you play the game though--I haven't so far, so I'm stuck with a +1 longsword for my Paladin. Least I've found some "fairly" good swords so far.
Old 11-10-2000, 02:00 PM   #6
Chris
Welcomed New User

I knew going into BG2 there was a paladin sword that was (cant recall.. great? large sword?) anyways.. that gave me something to aim for as what was an awesome sword I would run across eventually in the game.

In the meantime I had a +2 sword that made due til I got the +5 sword
Old 11-10-2000, 03:27 PM   #7
Khanar Tor'vel

I think the one in BG2 is called the Holy Avenger (+5) and probably is a Great Sword. I'm not sure though since I haven't bought BG2 yet.
Old 11-10-2000, 06:17 PM   #8
Wrath
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It's a Paladin-only Long Sword, found in Lower Dorn's Deep (every game). It's a +4 sword, with these other goodies:

Wielder is immune to Cloak of Fear, Horror, Dire Charm and Symbol of Hopelessness, +7 damage vs. evil creatures, +7 THACO vs. evil creatures, usable only by Paladins. Believe me, it's THE sword for any Paladin, and a must against the Greater Mummies/The Idol.
And Long Sword-class weapons seem to have the most/best swords available, though there are a lot of nice 2-H swords and mace-class weapons. Short swords, IMO, get the shaft

-Wrath
Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2000, 05:37 PM   #9
Adhrael

I think the very best sword in the game is the Fire of Bhaal, with its fine amount of fire damage (2D6) and the stun ability that sucks so much in internet games (really so much that me and my friends have forbidden it in our games).

And there are lots of fine large swords, like the sword of action+4 (which gives armor+1) and Stop Haste (or something like this, I have the spanish version) which stuns enemies. I think that the two handed swords aren´t so good in this game.
Old 12-09-2000, 06:55 PM   #10
Azred
Drow Priestess

Given the great variety of weapons available in this game, I would suggest that newly-created fighters spend their initial 4 weapon proficiencies on long sword, axe, mace or flail (lots of skeletal undead in the game), and two-handed sword. Spend your next weapon slot on broad sword and then worry about specializing later. In fact, I wouldn't spend more than two slots on any weapon anyway, because your fighter will be hurt by the Law of Diminishing Return--trying to become a "master" of a weapon is not as useful as being able to use many different weapons.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote