Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2001, 08:24 AM   #1
Simon
The Magister

Can you be serious? This big ass dragon can be defeated??? I toddled in to his layer and he told me to bugger off and rescue the girl upstairs so I did that. Then I thought, after all this time in the dungeon I want a big row, besides I had my dragonsbane sling and a nice dragon slaying sword and sheild (which I gave to Valygar) so I felt quite confident. Back I went and summoned an earth, wind and fire elemental, two large white bears and a couple of dire wolves, stood eveyone back armed with their most damaging missile weapons and plonked Valygar down next to old Firks rump. I then taunted the beast and was promptly erased. I didnt even get him past Uninjured! I didn't use any offensive spells because I know dragons are supposed to be very magically resistant but I was killed far to easily so I must be doing something wrong. Perhaps someone has a tasty tactic they could share or a list of spells I should be using because that cocky dragon needs his ass kicked!!

ThanX all!!
Old 05-22-2001, 08:37 AM   #2
Lord Shield

sob! sob! sob! Another Firkraag question sob! sob! sob!
Spoiler
Ok, here goes:
Non-cheese tactic:
Summon 5 critters (pereferably fire elementals)
Resist Fear
Haste
lots of fire-resistant stuff
Surround git with critters and tanks
click attack
have cup of tea
come back
pick up treasure
if a tank PC gets hit a lot, move them out of the fight and back in after healing. Mages blast with multi-shot spells such as Magic Missile/Lowere Magic Resistance

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp

Old 05-22-2001, 08:50 AM   #3
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

MAJOR
SPOILER
First thing you do is summon all your creatures as previously said and then hit him with MAGIC RESISTANCE. That drops his magic resistance to 20% then hack him up. If you are playing with a monk lvl 13 or higher hit him with the Quivering Palm!!!!!!! Blast and Hack and Hack and Blast!!!!!!!!! He'll be minced meat in no time!!!

------------------
IS THE PIZZA HERE YET????
WANNA PASS ME A BEER??? THANKS!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2001, 08:55 AM   #4
white heron
Manshoon

I think luck plays a part here as mutch as anything.Simulacrum(helm or spell)will help alot.Some big ass critters.Send them in one by one to start a fight(wizard eye is good here),weaken firkraag with area of effect spells(cloudkill ect),and then storm him with hasted ,jacked up superheros!
Old 05-22-2001, 10:20 AM   #5
Greadius
The Magister

Yep, I just beat him yesterday with my weaker party on my first try and I only used 3 spells. Chant, haste, protection from evil. Its all about equipment, positioning, and lucky die rolls. Give that dragonbane to the best fighter, it will do the majority of your damage. I put Viconia out of combat range (WAY back) and used her as a healing station, running my injured party out very quickly. It works better if you ditch early, and have him surounded, sometimes he'll chase the party member around other party members and you'll get a few easy hits in.

Good luck!
Old 05-22-2001, 11:59 AM   #6
vesselle
Hathor

one invaluable tactic i use faithfully since i first read about it here, is to completely encircle her, whether you use all 6 members or not. i prefer leaving my magic casters out on the perimeters.
the resultant time spent by dragon turning to face each person, as they attack her gives you an edge.
also, if you happen to have any weapons that allow for additional attacks per round, by all means use them. if any of your magic casters has a minor spell sequencer, load it up for her with dispel magic or lower resistance.

i bow to the unknown, but lovingly remembered individual who first posted that tactic. i had been slaughtered by firkraag 5 or 6 times. after learning that tactic, i hurried back for another face off with the beast. my mage had hasted and blessed my fighters and barely cast lower resistance when i realized that everyone was looking at each other in disbelief. it was over. :: sighs and smiles ::

V***V

[This message has been edited by vesselle (edited 05-22-2001).]
Old 05-22-2001, 12:05 PM   #7
Lord Shield

That was what my 'Sourround git with critters and tanks' mention was about
I didn't mention Magic Resistance, because chesse tactics like that will NOT work once the expansion is in. Before the expansion, you can:
Hit him with 'friendly' spells
Blast him with area effect spells while out of sight and he won't chase you
surround him with traps and jab him up the ass
amongst other things

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp

Old 05-22-2001, 12:38 PM   #8
Simon
The Magister

expansion?
Old 05-22-2001, 01:19 PM   #9
onthepequod
Quintesson

Firkragg was a breeze. Just summon a couple of Dung Beetles and a pet Chinchilla and you’ve got it made.

Sorry, I’m in one of those moods today.

Spoiler

This was a tough battle but the key for me, to reiterate what has already been said, was the lower resistance spell. This spell is cumulative so cast it at least twice if not more while he is tied up with summoned creatures. After that he becomes a lot easier to kill.

Good luck.

Old 05-22-2001, 01:27 PM   #10
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Spells you should consider:
Breach (to take out its Stone Skin so your tanks can hack away)
Lower Resistance
Magic Missiles (preferable in sequenced form)
Lighting
Chain Lighting
Greater Malison (follow by Finger of Death)
Finger of Death (see above)
Imprisonment (if you are at high level)

Creature you should consider summoning:
Wizard Eye (1 only please)
Fire and Earth Elementals
Sword Spiders (from Spider Spawn, they are pretty fast)

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!