Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2004, 01:36 AM   #1
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

Oh my,

that expert difficulty drives my crazy. My first party of 6 was swallowed at Lvl 10 by Brekek some weeks ago and my current party (Lvl 10 too )was bashed to death by a Battering Hogar yesterday. Incredible. He knocked out my Lord and Ninja in the first round, killed them in the second and knocked out the Bard. I ran away but he followed me (damn, are those guys quick)and killed my Bishop from behind. Then I ran into the tree because I thought : There are Trynnies Hunters and Guards and Chief Gari and I'm out of sight. Oh Lord ,I was VERY wrong. He killed the guards, ignored Chief Gari ( who only casted protection and heal spells ) followed me into the tree to the first ladder . There the rest of my party died heroically but without any chance.

I'm curious how Nessie or later Souleater fight on expert ( if I ever reach them )

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]

[ 06-25-2004, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: Loudhy ]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 06:41 AM   #2
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Against Hogars, you should cast guardian angels before he is in range. Or better try to avoid them (they aren't hostile).

I'm quite paranoid since i usually play expert/ironman. In such battles, i change my party formation so that the front row is empty (casters in the rear, rest center and sides). When a character is knocked out, immediately move a few of the others into the front row (you can issue the command during the round). Then your ho member is protected.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 09:30 AM   #3
booklord
Dungeon Master

I've never had that much problem killing hogars and I've been playing on expert difficulty. I however would never play this on ironman mode.

My biggest problems were insanity and turncoat casters. If one of my warrior types get hit by a spell effect like that then they can wipe out half the group before I can do anything.

I also had considerable problems with the friendly Trynnies in the tree. A group of Oak Saplings once were completely blocked off by a group of trynnies. After losing 2 members to Crush spells I ended up running into a nearby building. In another instance the Trynnies simply pushed me off of the tree.

Aside from that the game has crashed at least 10 times. ( I've read there is a memory leak. Also during training you can overload the message buffer. )
booklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 01:23 PM   #4
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Well, i don't train, so that's not a problem.

Oak Saplings that run free in Trynton are one of the worst enemies (along with some sprites). When i see them, i run. It's possible to fight them in the anti-magic area, or in a close area where only one can see you (Toxic cloud can be very deadly, especally for smaller perties).

X-ray is a very valuable spell in ironman. One for which you should waste a spell pick with a bishop, if you don't have a mage.

When i'm in danger of being puhed by trynnies, i just rest for a second. Then they are gone.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:38 PM   #5
booklord
Dungeon Master

It isn't just the training thing. That only happened a few times and I learned how to avoid it. ( It's a timing thing )

The other crashes seemed to happen for no good reason whatsoever.
booklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 05:04 AM   #6
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by booklord:
I've never had that much problem killing hogars and I've been playing on expert difficulty. I however would never play this on ironman mode.
. )
Hogars are simple. I talked about Battering Hogars. They have 4 attacks and with bad luck you have no chance to move unconscious members into the back.
IMO a Lvl 10 party of 6 has no chance against them on expert.

@Wereboar
You're right. I once ran with my above party into a Toxic Cloud Lvl 2. In the second round ALL were suddenly uncounsious. Luckily I could ran 2 rounds later with two dead members because after a hit my Lord woke up.

Old 06-28-2004, 06:26 AM   #7
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
I talked about Battering Hogars. They have 4 attacks and with bad luck you have no chance to move unconscious members into the back.
Just yesterday i killed two of the with a level 10 party of 4 without accident (expert ironman).
But it was a very powerful party - fighter, rogue, monk, bishop.
First round engage it with missile while still yellow - bishop casts first guardian angel. Second round, hogar moves near, but don't reach party (or reaches and has only 1 attack left) - second guardian angel. Third round, third guardian angel.

You can't move unconscious party members to the back. But in these fights, i move the caster(s) into the back in the first round, and the fighter types into the center. When one gets knocked out, the others step into the front, and thus protect the helpless character.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:35 AM   #8
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Wereboar:
quote:
I talked about Battering Hogars. They have 4 attacks and with bad luck you have no chance to move unconscious members into the back.
Just yesterday i killed two of the with a level 10 party of 4 without accident (expert ironman).
But it was a very powerful party - fighter, rogue, monk, bishop.
First round engage it with missile while still yellow - bishop casts first guardian angel. Second round, hogar moves near, but don't reach party (or reaches and has only 1 attack left) - second guardian angel. Third round, third guardian angel.

You can't move unconscious party members to the back. But in these fights, i move the caster(s) into the back in the first round, and the fighter types into the center. When one gets knocked out, the others step into the front, and thus protect the helpless character.
[/QUOTE]Mmmmh. IIRC I havn't deleted my savegame, so I'll try it. We'll see, but my party wasn't that powerful. Fairie Ninja, Dracon Lord, Gadgy, Bard, Alch and Bishop. Both Ninja and Lord often missed, they need a little practice, because with magic-users I like to kill my opponents BEFORE they are in reach of my swords

[ 06-28-2004, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: Loudhy ]
Old 06-28-2004, 12:05 PM   #9
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Well, try insanity with your bard, and hypnotic lure with the gadgeteer. Both work very well against normal hogars, less good against battering ones, but it sometimes works.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:40 PM   #10
Wild Rose
Dungeon Master

I agree with Wereboar - with hogars the best option is often "Run". Is the expert mode really different from normal. When I started playing there was such a difference on ex. pts. that it seemed better to go that way so that seems "normal to me. But so many people on the board seem to find expert difficult. Nessie wasn't such a problem at lvl 18 or 20 (don't remember) Souleater was terrible and I switched over to Easy for that fight.

It is really frustrating to see your whole party taken like that. Better luck in the future Loudhy.