Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2003, 12:53 PM   #21
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I have confirmed that we do not need the "unlock camera=1" command in the nwnplayer.ini file anymore. As Memnoch theorized...the game rewrote the file and added in thier own command that makes our hak useless. I performed tests both with and without the command in place and they work equally...so I removed my addition to prevent problems.
You never needed the camera unlock caper. The cam was hacked at the start and I myself posted links to Brandons cam hak. Not really knocking the game here but it seems the developers are taking credit for stuff that was already in place the best part of a year ago, I've always been able to look up in the air in my game and originally had 1st person perspective. The cam arguments about clipping planes and this, that and the other jargon ran into reams on the official NWN boards as they defended their position on the original camera angle, they have eventually (possibly) got it right after the shoddy cam unlock affair which was used as a work around to avoid accrediting the guy who properly unlocked the camera. I haven't seen their version yet but I'll bet it's no better than this. This can be used by those without HoU, is compatible with the original NWN and SoU. http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/hakpack...60389795.shtml

As for crafting....again, developed by the players not the developers per se. The ATS (Ambrosia Tradeskill System) has been in use for eons, people were crafting armour, weapons, jewellery etc in game far before even SoU was heard of.
[/QUOTE]I agree wholeheartedly. Bioware steal alot of stuff from the community they really do. It's legal as you sign their license when you install the game, basically saying they can have anything the community create. IMHO

A smart person would stop releasing his stuff publicly and if asked why by someone, tell them that you don't like not being paid for good work. Really, most of the community are just making Biowares job very easy...look at the skies in HOTU and the robes too. Last we all heard they couldn't and wouldn't be done. Until someone else did them.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:27 PM   #22
Charlie
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
"your alingment has shifted one point toward the chaotic due to Brownie's actions". LOLOL! My companion animal now adds to my alignment if he beats on a locked door! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Yes the factions in NWN are, have always been and it seems, continue to be broken. A massive flaw IMHO as it means party members a thousand miles away can destroy your alignment even though you weren't there at the time and had no way of preventing the actions of others. Paladins etc will have to be very careful who they party with, particularly as someone elses mental familiar can destroy your characters reputation and alignment and effectively your character in one fell swoop.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
PS: I got some dye and made my ranger's armor pink! LOL!
This interests me too. Is it just a "tack on" idea? I mean how involved is it, you just buy a bottle of dye and BINGO!!!!
In the AT system mentioned previously it works like this......

You become apprenticed to a tailor, you purchase a tailors knife. You go into the wilderness and cut down particular flowers etc, you can only cut down those which your skill allows (ie you have to know exactly what you're doing and looking for), you then process those flowers (or indeed other substances) into dyes of certain colours. You then attempt to dye whatever garment with a success or failure dependant upon your skill level and a (pun coming) dye roll.

Dunno how many of you have tried to hand dye a garment but I'm sure it's not easy to get right first time. In a RP perspective, to my mind, you shouldn't just be able to "Hey Presto" dye your armour (although maybe a hard/easy option may be an idea).

Again, I haven't seen it in action yet but I wonder if the developers have taken the players ideas and done a quick and shoddy rehash of the things already long ago implemented by extremely talented amateurs. I won't even go into the difficulties of weapon and armour manafacture using the very well thought out and exceptionally well implemented Ambrosia Tradeskill System.

PS. If you haven't got HoU or tried the camera hak in your NWN or SoU game, please do try it. You'll wonder why it wasn't there in the first place (far too rushed is my guess) and finally see just what you've been missing out on.

[ 12-12-2003, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Charlie ]
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 07:15 PM   #23
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I think we all agree with your point about making armor on the spot being a tad unrealistic but the reason they did implement this was mainly for the requested customizing ability of character appearance in-game. I get so tired of making armors, playing, not liking and then re-making.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:19 PM   #24
Charlie
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
I think we all agree with your point about making armor on the spot being a tad unrealistic but the reason they did implement this was mainly for the requested customizing ability of character appearance in-game. I get so tired of making armors, playing, not liking and then re-making.
Hmmm, I thought there was a toolset....

Dunno, I haven't seen it in action as I say. I'm not too keen on an "insta colour" or "insta build" idea for armour etc TBH. What you find or buy is what you get I figure. Much more rewarding and realistic to do it the hard way if we're going to keep in the RP vein. You want a big red or green glowing sword either find it or manafacture it or alternatively, if you're not too keen on RP'ing just hack it in via the toolset, same for armour etc IMHO. I thought the idea of crafting was to add another dimension to the game rather than purely aestethic character appearance customization.

Just my 2C [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-12-2003, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Charlie ]
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 12-12-2003, 08:19 PM   #25
Jedimaster
Dungeon Master

Before you criticize the Crafting System try it out. The CAMERA is unlocked by default. You still need Brandon's HAK if you don't have HotU and you want to unlock the camera though if you don't have patch 1.28 or up.
I am a Trekker I like Simcity 2000, Star Trek,<br /> Star Wars, Science Fiction books, movies and TV shows.<br />My web address is [url]\"http://home.comcast.net/~m.nelson10\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.comcast.net/~m.nelson10</a> <br />My email address is m.nelson10 at comcast.net
Jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 08:26 PM   #26
Charlie
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Jedimaster:
Before you criticize the Crafting System try it out.
Please read more carefully, it hasn't been criticized, merely questioned.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:05 PM   #27
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
Hmmm, I thought there was a toolset....
[/QUOTE]You missed my point... and there's a toolset?! jk [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

My point is over at the Bio boards people were requesting a simulation mode. A kind of half-toolset half-game module where builders and players alike could test out scripts, constructs, behaviour and appearances. Whether you are building a module or just creating some spiffy armor for your character before you take him or her online the toolset is a pain in the ass.

If you MP as much as I do you will understand what I mean. This constant creating, loading, testing, not liking and it begins again. With the craft abilities at least the apperance side is now sorted since we can run through all kinds of armor, robe and weapon designs and decide there and then what looks good in-game. Beforehand we'd have to judge from what we saw in the toolset.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:49 PM   #28
vesselle
Hathor

just to clear something up. crafting requires skill: investing points into the feat, acquiring the parts you need and the actual craft attempt. you can and do fail your crafting for any number of reasons. not enough skill, not enough gold, chance and prolly other things i know nothing about. so far with 15 points in the skill, all i can successfully accomplish is to change a few aspects of my current armor, like the neckline and arms. when i try the torso and legs, i've failed each time. and i don't have nearly enough gold or skill to design my own armor from the ground up. so far, i've made the minor part of a breastplate. but haven't acquired the skill or parts needed to make the major portion to join them into one unit.
OTOH dying is easy. which i think is just fine. i've dyed many clothes IRL and it's definitely NOT rocket science. read the instructions first for ratio of cloth to water, but basically it *boils down* to this:
boil water
add dye & dissolve
plop the item in
stir and boil for a set amount of time
rinse and dry
voila. a pretty darned good dye job.

but i'll tell ya, i'm glad they don't make you do all that ingame. far too tedious. [img]smile.gif[/img]

V***V

[ 12-12-2003, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: vesselle ]
Old 12-13-2003, 12:33 AM   #29
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well, It's unrealistic but so is not having to eat food in NWN's, or not having to make a campfire when you rest in the snow. Or for that matter, never going to the bathroom!
Old 12-13-2003, 08:12 AM   #30
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

just G R E A T