Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2003, 03:39 PM   #21
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
some language nitpicks:

it's "Einmal or Ein Mal" because German differs between genders for every single words (e.g. beer is neutral, wine is masculine, lemonade is feminine)
and "einmal" means "one time" where time is neutral (while actual "time" as in what's the time is feminine). "Ein" is neutral, "Eine" is feminine
Have I confused you enough yet
German "ei" is somewhat like English "i" in "rice" or "mine"
German "ie" is merely a long German "i" which is like English "i" in "kill" - so "ie" would equal English "e" or "ee" in "here" or "beer"
and German "r" is somewhat different from English (it's harder) but same pronouciation for "beer" as in English will suit you fine.
Correct German spelling is "Wiesen" and "Bier" (both being neutral)
The correct sentence would therfore be:
"Einmal Cordon Bleu mit Pommes und ein Bier bitte"

Yip that's me. Teacher all the way (Now please proceed to stone me if you like).
No need for violence. That's just the EUreopean coming out in ya!
Now then, If one were to speak with the proper dialect, and correct verbaige, then one would be answered back and expected to understand "ferstain" what is being said. By speaking in what we call "Germainian" then one is understood to be an "Ami" 'American' and then will either be spoken to slowly, or in American. I use American for when in the military areas, the locals do speak American, however, once out and about, then one can encounter English, be it International or Proper.

Now, as I said, for a US service member the correct sentence would be.
Eine mal cordon bleu, mit pommes und eine beir, bitte.

Felix

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:04 PM   #22
Faceman
Hathor

Trust me, how hard you may try to pronounce correctly they'll always recognize you as an American. You can get the grammar right (like I explained) but it needs a lot of practice to pronounce letters/sounds that are not present in your mother-tongue like the German "r". It's like that in every language. Indians for example have trouble pronouncing "f" correctly as there's only an aspirated "p" in Hindi/Sanskrit. So if somebody asks you to pay phiphty dollars for something you'll easily recognize him as a foreigner. Same will happen to you in Germany once we catch you using the English rolling "r".
So rest assured nobody will immediately expect you "zu verstehen wovon er spricht" only because you use right grammar
Old 09-12-2003, 01:31 AM   #23
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Question Mark

True enough Faceman. However, by being an American in Germany when you attempt the language, then they assist you. For a Joe on a short tour, he will not have time to learn more than a little. Of the 24 months on a short tour he will normally be gone 9 of those months. On a deployment tour who knows. We did 7 months in Kosovo last year, we will do 1 year starting next Spring in Iraq.

But on a brighter side, my daughter really gets a kick out the the local national gate guards. Remember that 'th' is used in words like Thank you, so when they say "sank you" it really cracks her up.

Felix

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.