Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2003, 08:55 AM   #31
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
For Thoran, I agree that there is a continuing trend to skew certain statistics against men (wage gap, abuse gap, etc), which is what makes Statistics simultaneously fun and meaningless. She doesn't care too much for numbers or articles or such, just relaying what she had been personally experiencing vis-a-vis attitudes towards women. The typical woman in our town has at least 3 children (usually 2 of them are age 4 or younger) and 1 on the way [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] , stays at home most of the day--when she isn't shopping, and doesn't work; hence, the attitude of their husbands is, to put it mildly, archaic. They expect her not to work and have a litter, and this attitude comes out in their general behavior. She didn't mean to rant at any specific male (that is my job, thank you very much [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).
Statistics are fun, especially when it comes to digging up the angle that has been applied to make them look a certain way... really they're just sound bites meant for the general populace, and many people swallow a "every 12 second" hyserical comment without a belch. If that was the end of it I wouldn't care, but it's those same people who go to the polls and vote for candidates who support VAWA (the Violence against Women Act), one of the most bigoted pieces of legislation we've seen in 120 years. Now we have women yelling about a nonexistant wage gap, and they're trying to push legislation that is in effect one more ENTITLEMENT for women... to cure a problem that doesn't exist. The only coverage you see in the media is constant repetion of one side with nary a rebuttal (except maybe at fox).

There may be a lot of small towns out there who follow the traditional model, but there's already a ton of law from on high that makes acting on one's opinions illegal. Additionally there's a constant barrage of media that's working opposite to that attitude. My wife stays at home (a mutual decision that our kids were never going to see daycare) and if anything people bug her about why she isn't working (and we live in a relatively small town).

Anyway... I'll get off my soapbox (again [img]smile.gif[/img] )... but I think part of the problem western countries are having is that men don't normally push back against the more and more unreasonable demands of the radical feminists (not claiming anyone here is a radfem btw, just that they're setting the agenda... a truly scarry concept). When there's no dissenting opinion people just accept that what's being said must have merit. I've decided that I don't want my boys growing up and moving into a world where everyone has state legislated advantages over them, and IMO every parent out there with boys should be doing the same.