Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2001, 02:21 PM   #1
turbovee
Elminster

I don't know how they wrote this with a straight face. This apparently was a real memo sent at a computer company to its employees in all seriousness...It went to all field engineers about a computer peripheral problem. The author of this memo was quite serious The engineers rolled on the floor! (Especially note last sentence).

Replacement of Mouse Balls If a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement.
Mouse balls are now available as FRU(Field Replacement Unit). Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel.
Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse. Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls.
Ball removal procedures differ depending upon the manufacture of the mouse. Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop-off method. Domestic balls are replaced by using the twist-off method.
Mouse balls are not usually static-sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge. Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately.
It is recommended that each person have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction. Any customer missing his balls should contact the local personnel in charge of removing and replacing these necessary items.

------------------

The sexiest elf mage in the land
I feel the need, the need for SPEED!
Peace and hair grease
Old 05-14-2001, 02:28 PM   #2
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Some people should not be in exec positions . . . this is the ID ten T error or ID10T error I believe someone talked about months ago . . .

BK

------------------

The Black Storm Cloud of the Night
Consort to a Queen
Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way
Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Offical Wizard and Warrior Questioner
What is this, the Spanish Inquisition?
Ironworks Answer Man
Old 05-14-2001, 02:32 PM   #3
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by turbovee:
I don't know how they wrote this with a straight face. This apparently was a real memo sent at a computer company to its employees in all seriousness...It went to all field engineers about a computer peripheral problem. The author of this memo was quite serious The engineers rolled on the floor! (Especially note last sentence).

Replacement of Mouse Balls If a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement.
Mouse balls are now available as FRU(Field Replacement Unit). Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel.
Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse. Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls.
Ball removal procedures differ depending upon the manufacture of the mouse. Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop-off method. Domestic balls are replaced by using the twist-off method.
Mouse balls are not usually static-sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge. Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately.
It is recommended that each person have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction. Any customer missing his balls should contact the local personnel in charge of removing and replacing these necessary items.

This one always makes me laugh, saw it first about 8 years ago on an RAF station

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 05-14-2001, 02:50 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

ROFL, Turbovee!!! That is a riot!

BK, it does make you wonder, doesn't it? My brother-in-law works for CompUSA and every day my wife and I would get spammed with him forwarding e-mail jokes...some of them were funny, but a lot of them were that "Church of the Subgenius...great Bob" stuff that got tiresome after a while. Later, at a family gathering, someone was asking him what business he was in. Without batting an eyelid, I blurted out, "Forwarding joke e-mails." He blushed to the tips of his ears. My wife later thanked me privately for saying it.

Old 05-14-2001, 02:55 PM   #5
Black Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
BK, it does make you wonder, doesn't it? My brother-in-law works for CompUSA and every day my wife and I would get spammed with him forwarding e-mail jokes...some of them were funny, but a lot of them were that "Church of the Subgenius...great Bob" stuff that got tiresome after a while. Later, at a family gathering, someone was asking him what business he was in. Without batting an eyelid, I blurted out, "Forwarding joke e-mails." He blushed to the tips of his ears. My wife later thanked me privately for saying it.
Hehe, although I shouldn't laugh too hard. I've forwarded quite a few items in my day. . .

BK

------------------

Consort to a Queen
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Ironworks Answer Man
Old 05-14-2001, 02:57 PM   #6
BladeMaster

I fell out of my chair with that one there Turbovee

------------------

Old 05-14-2001, 08:10 PM   #7
Axterix
Manshoon

Unless I'm mistaken, it's an old IBM memo. And, no, the original poster was not totally serious. Computer geeks and engineers do have a sense of humor, you know
Old 05-14-2001, 08:14 PM   #8
Black Knight

Yeah, just ask Moiraine . . .(only make sure you ask about the computer part, not the geek part. She might take offense . . )

BK

------------------

Consort to a Queen
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Ironworks Answer Man
Old 05-14-2001, 09:02 PM   #9
turbovee
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by BladeMaster:
I fell out of my chair with that one there Turbovee

You weren't the only one Blademaster, when I saw this I laughed throughout the day. Someone sent it to me at work and like Sazerac I kind of get tired of the constant jokes that get passed around, but this one rocked me!

------------------

The sexiest elf mage in the land
I feel the need, the need for SPEED!
Peace and hair grease
Old 05-15-2001, 12:51 AM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I had a hard time for the rest of the day when I told students to use the mouse in MS Word...I'd start chuckling, and would have to cough really fast to cover it up.

Thanks a lot, Turbovee! (Actually, I loved it!)