Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2002, 09:33 AM   #21
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Absolutely she deserves to make that decision. And, what was said earlier about a "Living Will" is absolutely true. For those of you who live in states that support the "Living Will"...if you don't have one, go NOW and fill one out. It can literally save you from a "fate worse than death"...lying as nothing more than a slab of meat with nothing but machines running your body.

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 03-09-2002, 03:06 PM   #22
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Should they comply? NO

Doctors are in the business of saving lives not taking them. Obviously if she wants to kill herself she has some deep rooted psychological issues that she needs to work out as a result of the trauma. She should try and learn to live the rest of her life as best she could. Maybe she should go to a mental hospital instead of a courtroom. If I was her doctor. I'de have a shrink check her out.
Old 03-09-2002, 03:22 PM   #23
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

quote:
Originally posted by J'aran:
What does the law say about euthanasia, because that's what we're talking about here, have to say where this is taking place?

well it is not allowed at least here. as far as i know mercy-killing or euthanasia is not allowed by law and the church. but then there are certain factors on which we can say it is not punishable or it isn't considered a crime if:

-the patient, person concerned died of natural causes (suffocation, whatever) when medical support was removed. since it is there to prolong life, as we should, it is not already practical and it causes due strain to the family.

in essence, what she is trying to say is ethically and lawfully correct, for it does not really do anything now but keep her alive. and, the main factor that she has the right mind still, strengthens the whole matter because the factor of euthanasia is thinking for the person concerned because she/he is not in the right mind anymore... BUT. if she asks for some medication as to what to quicken her death, that is a whole different story.

whatever the case though i agree. if that is what she wants to do, set her free..
Old 03-09-2002, 09:26 PM   #24
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

If the ol' ladie wants her way make her day, then give her way to her I say!
*edit I just noticed something....* God, I sound like Dr suess!

------------

Excuse me one moment whilst I do backstab damage to Julio's younger brother

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: /)eathKiller ]

Old 03-09-2002, 10:45 PM   #25
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I think she should be allowed to go .....it is her choice. Personally I wouldnt want to be kept alive either. I hope they accede to her wishes.
Old 03-11-2002, 05:38 AM   #26
Donut
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
Should they comply? NO

Doctors are in the business of saving lives not taking them. Obviously if she wants to kill herself she has some deep rooted psychological issues that she needs to work out as a result of the trauma. She should try and learn to live the rest of her life as best she could. Maybe she should go to a mental hospital instead of a courtroom. If I was her doctor. I'de have a shrink check her out.

She has been 'checked out' by two psychiatrists who have stated she is capable of making this decision. Why should she go to a mental hospital? She is a happy, intelligent woman with a lively mind.

The argument of the hospital is that doctors are in the business of saving lives and they refuse to turn off life support. Other hospitals have indicated that they will comply with her wishes if she is transferred.

Her doctors argue that she has not tried rehabilitation which would improve the quality of her life. There is a range of equipment available which could help. Experts say she could be given a spinal jacket to support her back and help her sit up, a powered wheelchair, or mechanical arms she could control with mouth or eye movements.

The only issue the court has to decide was whether the woman had the capacity to make a decision which included telling others to turn off the ventilator.

My opinion is that she has the right to refuse treatment and that they should comply with her wishes. BTW 'Living Wills' are legal in the UK.

The hearing has finished and the judgement will be given at a later date.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 03-11-2002, 06:52 AM   #27
GEEK
The Magister

Keep in mind that they put Kavorkian (spelling?) in jail for helping someone die.

I can see some lawsuits here in the states for the same thing. If it happened some third uncle on the house keepers side would file a suit for 87.2 billion $ because of the mental anguish of loosing someone he has only seen once at a christmas party in 1956.

Giving someone a drug to die and turning of the life support when they are awake and alive is a fine line in the court system. At least it is here in the good ol' United States of Lawyers.

My wife is a nurse and they are always having to deal with potential lawsuits for the dumbest things.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:18 AM   #28
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Keep in mind that they put Kavorkian (spelling?) in jail for helping someone die.

Geek, there is a large difference between helping someone die (implying that they are physically able to live and you are giving them a drug overdose or whatever) and acceding to their wishes to have a ventilator turned off. This woman is being kept alive artificially, against her wishes. That, in my book, is sick.