Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2002, 03:21 PM   #51
MagiK

Errr you named 4 corporations...fortunately for us there are hundreds and hundreds more [img]smile.gif[/img] Yeah the accounting practices of these 4 will cause some major shakeups but there are many many many corps that are doing quite well and not being stupid about thier accounting. I think it is a great thing that these 4 particular companies were exposed. Lets hope others learn the lesson [img]smile.gif[/img] (I think Arthur Anderson is finished as an accounting firm)

Nice to see you back SC Dear Kitty

Old 07-01-2002, 03:30 PM   #52
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
So, taking your rather simplistic set of arguments, if indeed they can be called that, a step futher.....
Cheetah, that's a rather insulting statement there. Hardly condusive to constructive discussion don't you think?. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm enjoying reading this, so pleeeeeese keep the claws in, so I can keep reading this [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Funny, when I read her comment, I took it that she was averring the 'simplistic' tag, rather than the 'argument' tag. That's the trouble with written communication, though, isn't it? Without the benefit of inflection, so often meaning can be misconstrued or simply lost entirely. So much so that sarcasm can be seen as vituperation and baiting can be passed off as honest inquiry.
My own tuppence. And given the current economy, I will be expecting change back...

Old 07-01-2002, 04:10 PM   #53
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

While I remember, I'm going to the soapbox once more-
Hunter, you have been frequently saying how your country should not have to do certain things, and how it's another copuntries fault.
Well, I'd ask you all to remember, yes, all countries have their own unique culture and heritage, but every country is still a aprt of this planet, why all these feelings of indifference to people of our own kind merely because they don't live on the same land mass as you, and even that isn't an excuse, seeing as at one time there was just the Pangeae, a single land mass.
Just a reminder for those who may forget that we don't just live on separate countries, we also share the planet.
Old 07-01-2002, 04:46 PM   #54
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Errr you named 4 corporations...fortunately for us there are hundreds and hundreds more [img]smile.gif[/img] Yeah the accounting practices of these 4 will cause some major shakeups but there are many many many corps that are doing quite well and not being stupid about thier accounting. I think it is a great thing that these 4 particular companies were exposed. Lets hope others learn the lesson [img]smile.gif[/img] (I think Arthur Anderson is finished as an accounting firm)

Nice to see you back SC Dear Kitty
Hiya MagiK babe - true enough that so far the big names exposed have been relatively few when you look at how many floated companies there are on the stock markets, however.......

The activities of those few have seriously panicked foreign investors in the US. There is currently a flight from the dollar, from which European business is benefiting. The problem is not that only a few companies have so far been caught. The problem is the huge question mark that now rests over all listed US companies, due to the fact that the markets have become aware of the problems in accounting practice. The truth is, that big company affairs are so complex, it's hard for most shareholders, individuals at least, to have a clue what's going on. And now that shareholders have become aware of their ignorance, and how dangerous that ignorance is, they've got a wee bit leery.

Of course, it only needs a few UK companies to go bump, and we'll be seeing the same thing here. Already, the accounting firms are under major scrutiny. Today's Guardian has picked KPMG up by the scruff of the neck and shaken it. Looks like it's their turn to go under the microscope. (They audited Xerox, I believe, but there's much more to it than that.)

By the way, oh Monsieur tres Omniscient [img]smile.gif[/img] How do you know the 'hundreds' of companies are not being 'stupid' about their accounting? You can't know, can you, and neither can I. However, I think we are about to find out. Watch this space! (Well, not this space actually. The business pages are likely to be rather more informative - for the really serious investor anyway. [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Old 07-01-2002, 05:00 PM   #55
Dramnek_Ulk

Quote:
Originally posted by John D Harris:
Suppy and demand DOES work, no one is forced to buy ANYTHING. QB]
No it does not, Microsoft (for example) has monopoly power, therefore the free market has failed, since it has not delivered consumer choice.
Microsoft,
Sure you don’t have to buy their products,
But if you get something else, due to their monopoly power you’re sure gonna have a lot of trouble with compatibility etc,
Therefore most people have no choice, windows or big troubles.

Old 07-01-2002, 05:33 PM   #56
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
Funny, when I read her comment, I took it that she was averring the 'simplistic' tag, rather than the 'argument' tag. That's the trouble with written communication, though, isn't it? Without the benefit of inflection, so often meaning can be misconstrued or simply lost entirely. So much so that sarcasm can be seen as vituperation and baiting can be passed off as honest inquiry.
My own tuppence. And given the current economy, I will be expecting change back...
Hey Abling, good to see you, tis just like old times! (You can have my tuppence any time! )
Old 07-01-2002, 06:45 PM   #57
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
quote:
quote:
So, taking your rather simplistic set of arguments, if indeed they can be called that, a step futher.....
Cheetah, that's a rather insulting statement there. Hardly condusive to constructive discussion don't you think?. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm enjoying reading this, so pleeeeeese keep the claws in, so I can keep reading this [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Funny, when I read her comment, I took it that she was averring the 'simplistic' tag, rather than the 'argument' tag. That's the trouble with written communication, though, isn't it? Without the benefit of inflection, so often meaning can be misconstrued or simply lost entirely. So much so that sarcasm can be seen as vituperation and baiting can be passed off as honest inquiry.
[/QUOTE]The key word being "indeed" meaning "not even". They were "not even" simplistic arguments in her book.

But whatever... tomaeto, tomaato.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 07-01-2002, 06:47 PM   #58
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:

Or a Mac.

It's not a monopoly Dramnek.

[ 07-01-2002, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 07-01-2002, 07:02 PM   #59
Lord Shield

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:

Or a Mac.

It's not a monopoly Dramnek.
[/QUOTE]are you kidding? Microsoft IS A monopoly. There was huge hoohah in states about it. support and new relases for Macs and so forth are going down and down

Old 07-01-2002, 07:16 PM   #60
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[/QUOTE]The key word being "indeed" meaning "not even". They were "not even" simplistic arguments in her book.

But whatever... tomaeto, tomaato.
[/QUOTE]Hmm. Now, what was in my head when I wrote that? Lessee....

Ah yes, now I remember.... Basically, I thought the series of statements he made were rather simplistic, and not really deserving of the status of argument.

Peace and love. Amen.