Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 05:15 AM   #1
Celelen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hi!

I spent last summer playing Baldur's Gate II campaign as multiplayer together with my sister - which was a lot of fun.
Now, we have 2 computers at home which could manage Neverwinter Nights, however, I still haven't figured out if one could play the Neverwinter Night's campaign in multiplayer modus? We sort of enjoyed the story in BGII... any advice? Or should I spend my money on another game? :-o
Old 09-28-2003, 07:02 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

yes, you can play the campaign in multiplayer. Probably just a case of selecting it when you setup the server. The only problem is (and legaly this has been true for almost every game ever released, but with NWN its actualy enforced by CD keys) is that you will need two copies of the game.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:08 AM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
yes, you can play the campaign in multiplayer. Probably just a case of selecting it when you setup the server. The only problem is (and legaly this has been true for almost every game ever released, but with NWN its actualy enforced by CD keys) is that you will need two copies of the game.
Well... I've seen cracked server that don't look for serial.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:10 PM   #4
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

Either you or your sister can be the "Server" or if you have another computer that just does not meet the video requirements you can download the standalone server from here http://nwn.bioware.com/downloads/standaloneserver.html

As andrewas was saying you and your sister would both need a copy of the game but if you go with this version of the server you do not need a CD key for it. The advantage of running another computer as the server is that if one of you wants to play they can just make sure the server is running then connect in and play.

If you are using either your or your sisters computer as the server then to keep things simple just one of you should run as the server. Since NWN is a long game and I doubt you will finish it in a single evening playing. When you finsh for the night whoever is running as the server should save the game. When that person starts again they should go into Multiplayer then Load Internet \ Lan game.

If you want to switch who is running as the server you should copy the save game file to whoever is running as the server right then. You would do this if you are running as the server but your sister has some time and wants to keep on playing then you would copy the file over to her computer and she would go into Multiplayer then Load Internet \ Lan game.

I hope this helps. Please ask any questions you have.

Granamere
Old 09-29-2003, 03:49 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Well... I've seen cracked server that don't look for serial. [/QUOTE]Me too. I have had MP games from the same household and I have never gone out and bought a second copy. Yes I know technically they say you must but the way I see it we both own the game since it comes from money we both share/earn. I think piracy is one thing (not buying the game at all and downloading it from some noob warez site) but sharing your game with family is entirely another IMHO.

It's like what alot of people (and alot on IW too) do with OS's; when they get another system that needs for example win 98 or XP. They don't go out and buy it again but use the disk they already have to install the OS.

Just my view on the whole thing.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:40 PM   #6
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

The law states that if a person owns a piece of software there is the 80 - 20 law. In theory you could not use Microsoft Word or your laptop and desktop at the same time so it is legal for you to own one copy and have it on both computers. If you and someone else are using it then it is piracy. The exception to that is if you are only putting it on one PC the family shares then it is not piracy. If you have to use a crack it is piracy. Piracy is the reason MS put activation into XP. Try to install that on three systems you will have a problem. If you need it I can post the Microsoft number about licensing and they can explain it in great detail and are pretty nice about it.

I do understand there is the letter of the law and there is how it was meant. Think of it this way. How would you feel about it if you have coded the software? Really think about that for a moment. If this sells you get paid if it does not your company folds. Look at Atari it died and it was a huge company. The only reason we have it on the NWN box is because someone wanted to have the brand name "Atari". I think Midway is gone now also how is Serria doing? So before you go they makes lots of money; no they do not. I work for one of the guys who originally made Frogger. He had to change his line of business because he wanted to make money. So this is kind of close to home for me.

This is a fun chat but it really does not belong in this forum. If we want to keep it up we should more it to the general forum or somewhere else.

Thanks,
Granamere

[ 09-29-2003, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Granamere ]
Old 09-29-2003, 05:44 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Granamere:
The law states that if a person owns a piece of software there is the 80 - 20 law. In theory you could not use Microsoft Word or your laptop and desktop at the same time so it is legal for you to own one copy and have it on both computers. If you and someone else are using it then it is piracy. The exception to that is if you are only putting it on one PC the family shares then it is not piracy. If you have to use a crack it is piracy. Piracy is the reason MS put activation into XP. Try to install that on three systems you will have a problem. If you need it I can post the Microsoft number about licensing and they can explain it in great detail and are pretty nice about it.

I do understand there is the letter of the law and there is how it was meant. Think of it this way. How would you feel about it if you have coded the software? Really think about that for a moment. If this sells you get paid if it does not your company folds. Look at Atari it died and it was a huge company. The only reason we have it on the NWN box is because someone wanted to have the brand name "Atari". I think Midway is gone now also how is Serria doing? So before you go they makes lots of money; no they do not. I work for one of the guys who originally made Frogger. He had to change his line of business because he wanted to make money. So this is kind of close to home for me.

This is a fun chat but it really does not belong in this forum. If we want to keep it up we should more it to the general forum or somewhere else.

Thanks,
Granamere
Oh I know well that in theory using the same disc is piracy but my point is simply that in practice most don't. Even alot of companies using MS word for example (a friend of mine owns a printing company) don't buy 50 or more copies to cater for 50 or more desktops - It's just easier and more economical to use the one (or two). While using it for company purposes would probably tend more toward piracy I still feel that letting my other half use and play the same game as me is okay. This is my personal moral law only and one alot of people live by. I also feel that backing up my game should be okay since It's mine.

As for the topic you're right and this has come up all too much in GC anyways My intention was just to throw my two cents in.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:33 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Everybody here knows why this thread is locked.

The Moderation of Ironworks does not want to be the advocate on deciding what is legal or not legal.

Therefore the Webmaster has asked that "NO DISCUSSION" of piracy be permitted.

Quote:
No Piracy:...Do not discuss pirating games, bragging about pirating or anything else. This will get your account suspended or banned. The only possible thing you CAN discuss is the so-called 'cracks' for no CD operation....
By talking about ways to work around the built-in protections of the CDs so that two players can play from the same CD is one of those things we do not want on this website.

What will you say to me letting you know that some of the game developers were members of Ironworks?
That is the reason that we are so strict on this policy.
Closed Thread