Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2003, 09:06 PM   #11
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG:
Sure - humanoid spellcasters can be disrupted from casting with a succesfull knockdown. However in the same time it takes to achieve a knockdown you can usually kill that spellcaster simply by hiting it repeatedly (and if you have a high number of attacks you will usually disrupt their spells b4 they ever cast a single spell). (Spellcasters typically run low on hitpoints, the ones that are easy to kill quickly, and the ones that don't usually are either immune to knockdown or are practically immune to knockdown.)

If your fighting melee style the key to just about all encounters is: hit hard (high damage), hit a lot (many attacks), always make contact (high hit probability).
Alot of the time casters tend to have more concentration than discipline so even if you do score multiple hits you may well not disrupt a potentially lethal spell. Now I agree at lower levels a casters conc. is usually low enough to disrupt but at higher levels it becomes more difficult. And yes, stoneskin really has no effect since knockdown requires a dis. check.

[ 09-27-2003, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 09-28-2003, 07:19 AM   #12
cloud88
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG:
Sure - humanoid spellcasters can be disrupted from casting with a succesfull knockdown. However in the same time it takes to achieve a knockdown you can usually kill that spellcaster simply by hiting it repeatedly (and if you have a high number of attacks you will usually disrupt their spells b4 they ever cast a single spell). (Spellcasters typically run low on hitpoints, the ones that are easy to kill quickly, and the ones that don't usually are either immune to knockdown or are practically immune to knockdown.)

If your fighting melee style the key to just about all encounters is: hit hard (high damage), hit a lot (many attacks), always make contact (high hit probability).
What is it that makes "high hit probability" better...Str?
Some little angel tries to tell me that it\'s over,<br />It\'s just a bad reflection from above.<br />The load upon my shoulder makes me stronger, even bolder,<br />Oh no no, I haven\'t had enough.<br />-Heaven can wait, another fine reason to live.
cloud88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 03:24 PM   #13
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Str (if your not utilizing high dex. and the feat weapon finesse) for melee + weapon modifiers and your base (or modified) attack score (which is character level and class level dependent). (I.E. say a base attack of 6 with a str. score of 18 (providing a modifier of +4) with a +2 weapon gives = +12 to hit. The higher the number the greater your chance to hit - though this is compared against the opponent's AC modifiers and then "rolled" to determine if there is a "hit".)

Spirit Warrior and Luvian make good points - particularly with regard to Luvians mention of damage soaking spells like Stoneskin. If your character can't dispell it (or doesn't have another combatitive measure like the one discussed below) then you could be SOL.

An alternative to knockdown (and improved knockdown) could also be derived from a weapon's special attack (typically Daze or preferably Stun). This essentially provides the same sort of disabling feature as Knockdown, though a potion of clarity or its spell alternative may block this special attack (but its VERY rare).
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote