Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 12:31 PM   #1
Scarab
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Smiley

greetings all! I've been hiding in shadows for about a month now. The forum is do dense with information, I haven't found a reason or need to post. I just picked up the game (BG2) a couple of months ago after serious burn-out on BG1 (you can only kill so many kobolds before it starts to get boring). I'm working on my first game with an assasin->mage.. very nice.

As the topic of my post reflects.. I seem to have an addiction problem to this game. Obsessive.. compulsive.. can't stop thinking about it.. Here at work, I brouse this forum my entire lunch break just to get my BG "fix" during the day. The wife is VERY understanding, but I can tell she's wondering when i'm going to come out of the fighting pit to spend time with her! My mind is filled with all the determining factors... Mods.. mods.. mods.. Item upgrades.. Spell strategies.. equipment combos.. NPC choices.. Oh dear.. someone hit me with some vallium so I can CHILL OUT and come back to THIS world!

I am amazed at how involved this game really is. Running this thing is like flying the space shuttle: sooo complex, so many variables. I wonder if all the kids out there playing this game could channel this kind of focus into something PRODUCTIVE the sky would be the limit (I'm pushin 30, so I can talk like this [img]smile.gif[/img] ). I know *I* haven't gotten anything productive done since I STARTED this campaign. Don't get me wrong.. I'm not complaining.. just amazed at the power of transfixation.

Ok.. I'm really NOT crazy.. well, not altogether crazy at least.

Just wanted to say Hi.
Scarab..

anhk em kephera!
Scarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 12:40 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Welcome to Ironworks Scarab! This is one of the best , nicest and informative forumus throughout the internet.
Enjoy!
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 01:59 PM   #3
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Yeah, I know what you mean. For me luckily is not so bad - I don't think about BG when at work, but sometimes when driving home some thoughts start appearing... All these combos...

And yes, this game is pure geniuos!
Old 02-10-2005, 03:58 PM   #4
Hank Parsons
Zhentarim Guard

Scarab -- I am around your same age, and... have been maintaining the addiction on-and-off for 5+ years since this game came out (BG1 first then all the rest). I went "off the drug" for a year, but I came back eventually when I found out about mods. I'm still doing an epic replay through the whole series with tons of mods, which I started over a year ago (I guess I play slow compared to some people around here, I pause a lot.) I'm up in TOB now. I don't play everyday anymore, but I at least check the forums or something for my 'fix.' Luckily I have gotten-over that old problem of thinking about the variables when going-to-sleep or at-work.

Also I went on a huge kick of Multiplayer Online using Gamespy, for several months I did only that.

A few other games have addicted me but none for this many years. P.S. I do not have a wife but if I did I would pause the game occasionally to give her some lovin'.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:58 PM   #5
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

I pause the game occasionally to tell her to stop nagging.

O_o
Dace De'Briago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:29 PM   #6
Scarab
Elite Waterdeep Guard

yah.. I have a bit of lee-way with the wife since she is addicted to a cheezy action pop-cap game. So long as she gets to do her thing, she has no reason to nag at me for doing mine.

My neighbor is a fellow junky and his wife HATES the game. She claims it has erradicated their sex life and that he says up until 5-6 am all the time. "One day you're going to come to bed at 5 am and I'll have slashed my wrists and written BALDURS CAVE all over the walls in blood".. we laughed and said.. Baldurs GATE, not Cave.. "WHATEVER!! I HATE THAT THING!!" haha..

"Remember, while your character does not have to eat, YOU DO. We wouldn't want to lose any dedicated players!"

I've actually taken this advice and paused for a quick snack.. nice game wants to take care of me!
Scarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 11:36 PM   #7
Sillara of the Tamari
The Magister

I *am* the wife in the scenario. But, umm, I like to play as much as my husband does, and we both mod, so . . . .

It's amazing we ever get anything done! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Sillara

Edit: Not the wife of anyone on this board, however! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 02-13-2005, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: Sillara of the Tamari ]
Can you accept a necromancer? Can you trust a murderer? Can you love [url]\"http://chosenofmystra.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=17\" target=\"_blank\">Tsujatha</a>?<br />If you like Tsujatha, you should read his [url]\"http://www.gilalion.com/novels.htm\" target=\"_blank\">novels</a>.<br />Natha ssin\'urn lu\' dwalc ilythiiri noamuth wund l\' rivven: [url]\"http://chosenofmystra.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=18\" target=\"_blank\">Yasraena</a> zhah ghil!<br />[url]\"http://chosenofmystra.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=16\" target=\"_blank\">Saerileth\'s</a> bounty is as boundless as the sea; the more she gives to you, the more she has, for her love is infinite.
Sillara of the Tamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 06:12 PM   #8
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Hehe, we know what you mean, Scarab. We are all affilcted with BG obsession here.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:31 AM   #9
Griefmaker
The Magister

Sillara, I wish my wife would take lessons from you and become addicted to this game...or any game for that matter. Fortunately, she does not nag me about my playing though--her addiction is reading, so she lets my playing slide!

If I could get her to play games with me and then get her to play golf with me, my life would be complete [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2005, 02:14 AM   #10
MuffinGirl
Dungeon Master

I am addicted to this game to as was my boyfriend. Then he turned tratior on me and went to Warcraft. I tried playing that but nah it sucked (IMO). I like my BG games!!!!

Couples that play together stay together!! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]