Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2003, 06:36 PM   #1
breadbin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My Geforce 2 broke recently and I needed a quick fix gfx card and so bought a radeon 7000 with 64mb for cheap. Is this good enough to play Neverwinter nights on or should I give it a miss. The thing about the nvidia card is that it sometimes works perfectly but mostly doesn't, win98 says it is not configured 1/3 times and win2k just won't work and wrecks partition table when crashes! It also throws random pixels on the screen. I presume it is broken because it happens in BIOS without windows so it is not any drivers. any suggestions? thanks
Old 09-26-2003, 06:41 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

That cardis powerful enough to play NWN, but you seem to be having strange problems.

Do you have your latest drivers, and did you bought the card new or used?

Actually, your problems sound a little like RAM problems. I was gettin display bug too, when my RAM got corrupted.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:26 AM   #3
breadbin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It is definitely just the graphics card because now that I have the Radeon installed it is perfect, no more problems. There are three operating systems running it and they all work perfectly. So it is not driver related either. I thought maybe the geforce was overheating because it worked fine in the morning after being off all night. It got really bad after a couple of hours. I didn't want to buy a top range card in case it is a heating problem and then would screw up that card also. I bought if new about a year ago.

It was weird though, in text mode i.e. bios setup, it would mess up with characters not pixels and then in gfx mode it was pixels. I thought someone else might be have had a similar problem. I bought NWN before this all happened and I got so sick of the crashes that I bought the cheapest card that looked good i.e. 64MB. I am glad it will work - thanks.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:18 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I had a similiar problem with my geforce 2. It was due though to a screwy AGP port. Perhaps the overheating could be an issue...especially if you have tweaked it to overclocking stats. If it doesn't have a fan on it this can (on some systems) be a problem also. On my other system I'm running an old Geforce 2 and it does get very hot sometimes. I've been meaning to attach a fan on there...
Old 09-28-2003, 06:55 AM   #5
breadbin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I thought it could be the AGP port myself but the new radeon works fine. It does have a fan but you should have seen the crap I cleaned out of there. This dust was all hardened into it. I suppose it is no wonder that it was acting up. I did clean it and the fan appears to be working but maybe the damage was done already. Thanks anyway
Old 09-28-2003, 01:35 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well someone gave me a geforce 2 before and it never would even run in my system. The reason being that it was full of dirt on the AGP panel so yeah, it can defo. cause problems. Glad you sorted it anyways.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:26 PM   #7
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

I had a very similar problem with a GeForce 4 TI 4200. I sent it back to the factory and they sent me a new one. It was about 3 months old before the problems started. Currently it is working great!

Granamere
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 01:51 PM   #8
breadbin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am sure more people have the same problem but I doubt if there is much I can do now. I don't know how old the card is but I would say it is over a year. I can't even remember where I bought it. The Radeon will do for now anyway. Thanks