Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2003, 07:07 AM   #11
Ilythiiri
The Magister

Can i ask something here?? Does adjusting the difficulty level provide more chances of getting better equipment or its equally the same on any level setting?
Old 09-19-2003, 10:50 AM   #12
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilythiiri:
Can i ask something here?? Does adjusting the difficulty level provide more chances of getting better equipment or its equally the same on any level setting?
AFAIK it is equal.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 02:56 PM   #13
ScottG
Drow Warrior

What I do if I don't need the cash...

If you come across a difficult opponent (ex. chp. 1: gang leader, Dire Bloated Spider, lieutenant, boss, etc.) then save before opening the chests near where you encountered them. These are the GOOD variable chests (I think I counted at least 6 in the Docks district alone). Then open and save (if you get something interesting) and reload the prior game again looking for something else in that chest. You can often run up 5 saved games worth of stuff and then select which one of those 5 appeals to you the most and continue on.

Make sure you have on rings of insight and if possible those bard rapiers that give a bonus to lore which if maxed (two rings two rapiers) gives a total of 18 in lore which will let you identify anything that costs 30k or less. The very first two good chests I look through I'm specifically looking for those rapiers, the rings of insight I purchase from the merchants (in the Docks district and the one in the Core at the Trade of Blades). This meathod allows you not to have to put points in lore skill, (for anything else use lore potions).

Hold off until you hit level 9 for chp. 1 (b4 opening anything) if possible (b4 Aribeth takes you to the ceremony) - this will give you better treasure in those good chests. (I think the significant chest levels are 9,12,and 15 for increasingly better stuff.)

Typically the good chests are those large trapezoidal shaped chests (but not always).

On occasion you will miss out on a few uniqe items with this tech. - particularly those for the henchmen quests. (for those you can always cheat by doing a search here to find out where the items are located.)

Virtually everything else you can pass-up.

If you want to do more searching then use the same meathod for the good chests on ALL chests that have to be unlocked.

[ 09-19-2003, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: ScottG ]
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 08:20 PM   #14
wellard
Dracolisk

Just found a plus 3 full plate armour in a barrel outside a slum house

Just a little tip when walking through a town area, rather than keep looking in previously searched barrels and chests I just smash them up. Its quicker than unlocking too! Using power attack mode helps too [img]smile.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 01:14 AM   #15
Chewbacca
Zartan

This must be the #1 complaint about the OC, even people who thought the story was good complained about the illogical treasure EVERYWHERE! Fortunately the treasure is much more logical in SoU.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:46 AM   #16
Jorath Calar
Harper

I don't like these "save/reload" method... well it's too close to cheating... [img]smile.gif[/img]
I just finished chp 1 and the treasures are getting a little more interesting... [img]smile.gif[/img]

They should bave had fewer but bigger treasures...
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 02:13 PM   #17
ScottG
Drow Warrior

given enough time you'll think differently. (constantly geting the same garbage over and over again.)

The concept of a variable treasure for major items is flawed - they should be placed and there should be fewer items available that are non-class specific and more items that are either race or alignment restricted. Also the pricing structure in this game is screwed up. Think about it - at least 6 good chests in the docks alone! Its utterly absurd, the only reason this excessive "good chest" thing is there is to feed players who feel the need to have more stuff. Then to balance out the game's pricing structure the developers must kill the resale value of the equipment (and consequently must also make purchasing other equipment downright abusive).

So instead of thinking your cheating consider it like this: Look for one usable item out of every 15-to-20 "good" chests - the rest sell to equalize the abusive pricing structure. Don't think your getting the item your looking for to early either. With the exception of the cutting star thing, treasure is tied to character level and chapter - you can't get it to early. (For instance I'm not using the cutting stars for game play - that would be cheating, instead I'm simply doing it to run up enough cash for SOU which is as bad or worse on its pricing structure.)

(Why is SOU as bad or worse for its pricing structure? Like Chewie mentioned, SOU is FAR more reasonable with treasure chests and drops, BUT the ONLY thing the developers did for the pricing structure to "try" and balance things out is create a new skill set "apraise". Unfortunelty however it isn't enough to make up for the lack of excessive good chests. The last 25% of SOU however goes way overboard with good chests again and pricing structure becomes more balanced.)
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 05:47 AM   #18
wellard
Dracolisk

A few random *happinings* would help even the money/ goods structure too. How about random sword breaking (bg1) or damage to your suit of armour ect? A kidnapp victim that WILL die if a ransom is not paid ect. Maybe these could be incorparated into a mod someway. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 02:54 PM   #19
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

When I first played this game, before it decided my computer wasnt good enough to play it, I found there was no problem with this as I was Barbarian and decided he was crazy and liked hitting boxes...much more fun than the Paladin I tried who took several hits to break a chest...Woo hoo one hit
FelixJaeger is offline   Reply With Quote