Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2003, 07:22 PM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

A 43yr old nutritionist who alleged a lifelong McD's habit that caused her breast cancer may not join the fat-frik teens case, said the S.D.N.Y. fed court on 4/7/03. Under Fed.Rule.Civ.P. 19(a), a party seeking to join a class in a class action must show their absence from the class will prevent complete relief. This "complete relief" is interpreted to have three prongs: (1) the relief sought by the parties (in this case, the class seeks educational programs and attorney's fees and costs only); (2) whether she has an interest in the case and her absence may impair her ability to recover later; and (3) whether failure to join her may subject a party to inconsistent obligations or double liability. She failed all three prongs.

A nutritionist with a McD's habit? [img]graemlins/erm.gif[/img]

Source: BNA Toxics Reporter, Vol. 18, No. 18, 5/1/03
Old 05-06-2003, 08:22 PM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Eck. The McDonald's we have here is disgusting, but there are several other food chains nearby who offer a decent meal (Jack in the Box and Sonic for instance). I wouldn't be surprised if there were statistics out there claiming McD's was as healthy as a pack of cigarettes [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img]
Old 05-06-2003, 09:19 PM   #3
The Hierophant

I'm glad that these irresponsible court cases are getting next to nowhere. But I'm also glad that McDonalds is getting a bit of a scare.
Here in NZ McDonalds are completely changing their strategy. A completely new line of meals is being introduced labelled 'tonights dinner'. These are essentially microwave meals (including things like lamb cutlets, string green beans, thai green curry, crumbed hoki fillet etc.) that are still fast food, but arn't the usual traditional fast-food crap like greasy burgers. So far they are still in their prototype phase, and are being sold in Christchurch NZ only (it was a local franchisee's idea), but they are meeting with alot of success and will probably be spread to other cities around NZ, and then to other countries as well (essentially like the 'McCafe' idea, which also started out in NZ).
It's all official, yet unnofficial. The McDonalds USA CEO even came to Christchurch earlier on in the year to oversea the launch of the new menu (I was working in McCafe at the time). But the meals still arn't being advertised anywhere other than in Christchurch, so they're still in their trial phase.

Now, I don't like multi-national corporations much, mainly due to the faceless smarm of their advertising and the sheer greed of their profiteering (minimum wage for all workers, maximum profits for franchisees). But I am glad to see that McDonalds is making genuine changes to their menu in response to a worldwide slump in fatty crap-burger consumption, at least in New Zealand anyway.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:03 PM   #4
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanobyte:
Eck. The McDonald's we have here is disgusting, but there are several other food chains nearby who offer a decent meal (Jack in the Box and Sonic for instance). I wouldn't be surprised if there were statistics out there claiming McD's was as healthy as a pack of cigarettes [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img]
I've gotten food poisoning twice in my long and boring life, and both times Jack in the Box was the culprit. I haven't eaten at one in 15 years because of that. I know of another one close by my work, that was closed down for repeated health violations.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:15 PM   #5
Nanobyte

Quote:
Originally posted by antryg:
quote:
Originally posted by Nanobyte:
I've gotten food poisoning twice in my long and boring life, and both times Jack in the Box was the culprit. I haven't eaten at one in 15 years because of that. I know of another one close by my work, that was closed down for repeated health violations. [/QUOTE]I've never eaten at one, so I guess I'm safe. I forgot to mention Chick-fil-A; I'm not a fan of chicken, but it seems pretty busy every day of the week (except Sunday, when it's closed).

Sorry to hear that, antryg. I've heard food poisoning is one of the most unpleasant experiences a person could have, so I can fully understand why you keep your distance
Old 05-07-2003, 04:54 AM   #6
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
I'm glad that these irresponsible court cases are getting next to nowhere. But I'm also glad that McDonalds is getting a bit of a scare.
Here in NZ McDonalds are completely changing their strategy. A completely new line of meals is being introduced labelled 'tonights dinner'. These are essentially microwave meals (including things like lamb cutlets, string green beans, thai green curry, crumbed hoki fillet etc.) that are still fast food, but arn't the usual traditional fast-food crap like greasy burgers. So far they are still in their prototype phase, and are being sold in Christchurch NZ only (it was a local franchisee's idea), but they are meeting with alot of success and will probably be spread to other cities around NZ, and then to other countries as well (essentially like the 'McCafe' idea, which also started out in NZ).
It's all official, yet unnofficial. The McDonalds USA CEO even came to Christchurch earlier on in the year to oversea the launch of the new menu (I was working in McCafe at the time). But the meals still arn't being advertised anywhere other than in Christchurch, so they're still in their trial phase.

Now, I don't like multi-national corporations much, mainly due to the faceless smarm of their advertising and the sheer greed of their profiteering (minimum wage for all workers, maximum profits for franchisees). But I am glad to see that McDonalds is making genuine changes to their menu in response to a worldwide slump in fatty crap-burger consumption, at least in New Zealand anyway.
Here in Nelson the McD's are going with some sort of disgusting, overpriced salad in an effort to attract vegetarians. As far as I can tell, it is NOT working. The cost of a tiny salad is about $10. This is outrageous. There are three McDs in Nelson now, and only 50,000 people. They're taking over!
Old 05-07-2003, 05:03 AM   #7
D*Ranged

I live in Lower Hutt, NZ. (Used to live in Auckland until recently)

I'd much rather eat from KFC, BK or Wendy's rather than McD's...They burned their bacons in one of their burgers, i chewed on lipid in one 1/4 pounders and I didn't even feel good/satisfying after eating.

THeir ads present that they use FRESHEST ingredients in their stuff, but I beg to differ, personally. I'd much rather eat salad from Wendy's rather than McD's (Not that i'm even a fan of Salads in the first place).

[ 05-07-2003, 05:06 AM: Message edited by: D*Ranged ]
Old 05-07-2003, 05:05 AM   #8
D*Ranged

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:

McDonald's ARE losing money for God knows how...

You must be lucky, I live in Lower Hutt and all I get is salads, burgers and...you know.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:06 AM   #9
Melusine
Dracolisk

Ah, thanks for the update Timber, that reminds me.
I wanted to reply to the discussion about the quality of the food, esp. with regard to vegetarian food in the previous thread, but I wanted to be 100% sure of what I was saying.
Yesterday I had lunch at Mac's though so now I know that what I thought was right.
I heard several people mention in the previous thread that Burger King's and McD's fry in animal fats etc.
In the Netherlands, the fries are ALWAYS fried in 100% vegetable fat. Also, MacDonalds does have a completely vegetarian burger here, which can even be eaten by vegans (i.e. no animal fat in dressing, no cheese, etc) and which my vegetarian friends assure me tastes pretty good. Apart from that, I remember people complaining about the salads. I checked, and here you can get salads with lettuce, cucumber, tomato etc and either tuna, chicken or nothing. The dressings are all given seperately so you can choose to eat your salad with no dressing at all. They also added a fruit salad to the menu, which consists of sliced pieces of fruit only. And you can now get a yoghurt/muesli thingy at McD's, too. So there seems to be a little better choice for health freaks here, even if McDonalds is never competely healthy I think. But at least vegetarians can order fries with their Veggie Burger without having to eat animal fats.
I remember when I was abroad, the fries at McDonalds tasted disgusting and I found out it was because they were fried in animal fat - you can really taste a clear difference. Anyway, I knew that there were slight variations in the McDonalds menu based on local specialties or religions, but apparently they sometimes prepare the food differently too.

Edit after reading Pcgiant's post... whoa! Salads are normally priced here.
Oh and the only American fast food giants available in Holland are Burger King and McDonalds

[ 05-07-2003, 05:08 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 05-07-2003, 05:06 AM   #10
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

I hate both BK and McDs. I have never eaten Wendys. KFC is perhaps the best out of the bunch. The standard of fast food is falling - I can tell you thousands of terrible stories, courtesy of my friend Cory, who is currently employed at Nelson McDonalds.