Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 10:13 AM   #261
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

TL called me names, and I missed it? ...
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:19 PM   #262
Mellagar

I suppose I have only a few closing comments before I leave this circus parade. Whether Hicks is found guilty or innocent is rather a endless arguement. If he is found innocent, some will cry that he was released to appease the 'bleeding-heart' masses. If found guilty and executed, it was a corrupt system that failed democracy. Either way this arguement has a somewhat vague ending. To Yorick, I'll gladly give up my home, despite the fact that I have native american blood in my family, and that's a fact Timber, not allegation, if you'll give up your home to the aborigine. I think that religion should not even be a question here, whether he's Muslim or not, as such things do not apply in court, which seems odd since one is made to swear on a bible (even a muslim). Less of course they have a Qur'an handy in the courtroom, but then religious affiliation has no meaning in court, or at least shouldn't. No, I think this thread has breathed its last, as there are no new points to be established, but I'm VERY certain that once a trial comes to show for Hicks, this arguement will boil up again. Till then, we'll just have to sit, and wait, just like Mr. Hicks. Except I won't do so in a concrete cell...
Mellagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #263
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Mellagar:
I suppose I have only a few closing comments before I leave this circus parade. Whether Hicks is found guilty or innocent is rather a endless arguement. If he is found innocent, some will cry that he was released to appease the 'bleeding-heart' masses. If found guilty and executed, it was a corrupt system that failed democracy. Either way this arguement has a somewhat vague ending. To Yorick, I'll gladly give up my home, despite the fact that I have native american blood in my family, and that's a fact Timber, not allegation, if you'll give up your home to the aborigine. I think that religion should not even be a question here, whether he's Muslim or not, as such things do not apply in court, which seems odd since one is made to swear on a bible (even a muslim). Less of course they have a Qur'an handy in the courtroom, but then religious affiliation has no meaning in court, or at least shouldn't. No, I think this thread has breathed its last, as there are no new points to be established, but I'm VERY certain that once a trial comes to show for Hicks, this arguement will boil up again. Till then, we'll just have to sit, and wait, just like Mr. Hicks. Except I won't do so in a concrete cell...
Mellagar, once a trial comes up for Hicks, we'll be a whole lot happier than we are now.
Until that day, this topic will not just "go away". Every day that Hicks spends in jail is hell on earth if he's an innocent man, and I cannot abide sitting by and doing nothing. It's extraordinarily frustrating to be completely powerless to change a distressing reality.

We're not just discussing theories or ideas, this is the life of a human being, potentially ruined by injustice.

IF he is guilty, then he's guilty. But until he's tried how are we to know? Until he's tried, ours laws - the laws Americans, Aussies and British have died preserving - say HE'S INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.

Which means he is at the moment, innocent.

I am not resting my case. This is not all I have to say. Until this man is given his day in court, where the accusers must prove their accusations I will be angry and upset, as should all people who value human rights, democracy and justice.

[ 12-01-2006, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:52 PM   #264
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I will not be angry, nor upset. His scheduled day in court has come and gone, but they fought, and won, to get the court declared unconstitutional. Whether a military tribunal is constitutional or not for military prisoners, I cannot say, but SCOTUS did. The trial would have gone forward the middle of last year but for that.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #265
Mellagar

Well, instead of just standing all upset and seemingly spiteful, go round your neighborhood and have a petition signed by everyone. Voice it on your local paper, or radio. Send letters to everyone arguing Hicks' case. Write a song about it and have it spread throughout the internet announcing his innocense. Don't just stop with this message board to argue over, go out there, shout the loudest. Just don't be too disappointed when your voice seems rather muffled to most. I never said it should go away, just be made to wait until something 'factual' occurs. As most have been arguing for facts, it seems only logical. You live in the States, stand before City Hall with a microphone and start informing New York City of Mr. David Hicks, and how he's spent years in a concrete hell. If you're not willing to do any of these, well, I suppose you aren't that upset about it. And if you have, is it working? I'm not upset. That's why I won't do any of these things, but to each their own. You could even send money to Mr. Hicks family, to help them over in the dark time. Hicks seemingly left them with nothing when he went off on his crusade, so someone should, right?
Mellagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #266
wellard
Dracolisk

What wellard is back? I thought he hurt his head banging it against the wall [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Just a litle update for those not to numb

"Lawyers for Guantanamo Bay detainee David Hicks have been granted an urgent hearing in the Federal Court next Friday.

The legal team has launched an action against the Commonwealth, alleging the Federal Government has failed in its duty to protect an Australian citizen abroad.

They argue the Attorney-General and the Foreign Minister could have done more to secure the South Australian's release.

Mr Hicks's Australian lawyer, David McLeod, says the court will now have a chance to review the Government's decision-making process.

"It's been made very clear that one of the major justifications is that David cannot be charged or dealt with in this country and therefore for some reason of bizarre logic, it's okay for another country to deal with him illegally - that is, not in accordance with the Australian Constitution," he said."

Wednesday, December 6, 2006. 1:07pm ABC news

Wellard *exit stage left* [img]graemlins/hippysmile.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:46 PM   #267
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

So he's broken no laws in Australia, so that means Australia wants the US to do what it can't do = illegally detain an innocent man.

Wow.

Who lives in Downer's electorate? Downer should be turfed out in revolt against this! Who's running against Downer?

Old 12-05-2006, 10:48 PM   #268
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

He's the member for Mayo in South Australia.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:00 PM   #269
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Check out this site

http://www.geocities.com/notinmyname...icks_home.html

Old 12-06-2006, 02:33 PM   #270
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Where were all those votes when the government decided to let the US handle it? It seems to me if he had had such strong support then, this topic wouldn't exist. He tried to get it from Australia, then he tried to play on his mother's citizenship, both to no avail. How does he think that filing suit against Australia now is going to "force" them into bringing him back. Seems to me that it would just make them want to leave him there.
...and I just can't leave off the plea about his family. Was he thinking about them when he joined the Jihad? Ok, let me backpedal this a bit. Unless somebody can show me some news clippings that say he was abducted from Australia by Coalition forces, I'd feel pretty safe believing that he went on his own to Afghanistan. While this may not be evidence in court, it is certainly enough for a public opinion. In my opinion, all his crying about his family now is is a way to try to play to the home crowd. He's hoping no one will notice the fact that he chose to abandon them in the first place. :shrug: No matter. What ever happens is going to happen. I just hope he doesn't decide that Jihad is better served on a whole continent of infidels, assuming he finds his way back to Australia. To the people that I do know in Australia, I hope that he doesn't live too close to you if that's how it plays out.