Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2004, 04:57 PM   #1
The Dude
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Does your set traps percentage affect high level abilities - e.g. spike trap?

In general, do any of your skill percentages affect any of the HLAs?
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 05:05 PM   #2
Hank Parsons
Zhentarim Guard

I assumed Set Traps % affects Trap HLA's, but I guess my thief has always had near 100% on Traps ability by the time I got HLA's.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:52 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

HLA Traps always succeed AFAIK, coz Bards sure as heck do not have Set Traps skills.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 04:25 AM   #4
Userunfriendly
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
HLA Traps always succeed AFAIK, coz Bards sure as heck do not have Set Traps skills.
bards have 100% by the time they can set spike traps...(i checked using shadowkeeper) i thought so too, but when i was experimenting with some thieves turned into pure sorcerers, i set their set traps to 0%, and they never set the spike traps i added to their innates...

yes, you will need good set traps skill to set spike traps.

[ 09-14-2004, 04:26 AM: Message edited by: Userunfriendly ]
Jansens aren\'t as harmless like everybody supposes! <br />They got them stumpy legs and puffy potato noses! <br />And what\'s with all the turnips? <br />Why do they eat so much root vegetables, anyway? <br />Jansens, Jansens,<br />It must be Jansens!!!<br />(or griffins!)
Userunfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:30 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Userunfriendly:
quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
bards have 100% by the time they can set spike traps...(i checked using shadowkeeper) i thought so too, but when i was experimenting with some thieves turned into pure sorcerers, i set their set traps to 0%, and they never set the spike traps i added to their innates...
yes, you will need good set traps skill to set spike traps.
[/QUOTE]Interesting, I will have to keep that in mind.

Thank goodness this is not in the Trivia Quiz... ...
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 01:52 PM   #6
The Dude
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Is there any reason to pump set traps past 100%.

In general - what are the max useful values for the various thieving skills?

I know this comes up fairly often, but I didn't see it in any FAQs and I haven't seen too many authoritative answers.

It used to be the case that "Hide In Shadows" and "Move Silently" were both considered when
you went into stealth mode. Hence, it was better to put all your points in "Move Silently."
However, I just installed TOB (Macintosh version) and this no longer seems to be the case.

Anyway, I'm planning for an assasin and trying to decied how to allocation the skill points
among find traps, hide, move silent, and set traps (I'll let a mage use knock for the locks).
Old 09-14-2004, 05:26 PM   #7
Userunfriendly
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by The Dude:
Is there any reason to pump set traps past 100%.

In general - what are the max useful values for the various thieving skills?

I know this comes up fairly often, but I didn't see it in any FAQs and I haven't seen too many authoritative answers.

It used to be the case that "Hide In Shadows" and "Move Silently" were both considered when
you went into stealth mode. Hence, it was better to put all your points in "Move Silently."
However, I just installed TOB (Macintosh version) and this no longer seems to be the case.

Anyway, I'm planning for an assasin and trying to decied how to allocation the skill points
among find traps, hide, move silent, and set traps (I'll let a mage use knock for the locks).
oh oh, dundee...hope six doesn't read this post...heeehhehhehehhe!!!

skills that actually help you at over 100% (150 is good, 200 is better)
detect illusion
move silently

the rest are fine at 100%
Jansens aren\'t as harmless like everybody supposes! <br />They got them stumpy legs and puffy potato noses! <br />And what\'s with all the turnips? <br />Why do they eat so much root vegetables, anyway? <br />Jansens, Jansens,<br />It must be Jansens!!!<br />(or griffins!)
Old 09-14-2004, 06:14 PM   #8
The Dude
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Userunfriendly:
skills that actually help you at over 100% (150 is good, 200 is better)
detect illusion
move silently
the rest are fine at 100%
Thanks for the info.

I would have guessed that pick pocket over 100% helped.
I would have also guessed that picking locks over 100% helped.

Is your info from some study/experiments I haven't read about (as
opposed to educated guesses).

Since I have a Macintosh (no Shadowkeeper or whatever) it's harder for me to do these sorts of experiments myself.

Quote:
oh oh, dundee...hope six doesn't read this post...heeehhehhehehhe!!!
By this I assume these are considered spoilers or bug exploits?
Old 09-14-2004, 07:31 PM   #9
Userunfriendly
Elminster

i was commenting about dundee being glad this wasn't on sixofspade's quiz..

ok, these aren't informed guesses.

detect illusion is capable of breaking past improved invisible creatures with spell immunity divination like the ones in tactics mod. the higher the score, the faster it is.

move silently will decrease the time between a backstab attack and rehiding in shadows as per another thread where someone extensively tested this, and published results.

picking locks over 100%...does not help..you can open any lock in the game at 100%
picking pockets over 100% doesn't help much either...a few characters, like ribaud has a chance of detecting a pickpocket at 100%, but that's what potions are for.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:17 PM   #10
The Dude
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks again for the info.

If you could give me a pointer to the other thread you mentioned ("where someone extensively tested...") it would be much appreciated. I'm not doubting you - I'd just like to read all the details myself.