Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2002, 01:32 PM   #1
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Recently I've found myself listening to quite a bit of classical music on the radio; basically to help me relax while I'm working, and now would really like to buy a couple of CDs to start my classical music collection. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this area of music (wasted youth ), so I need your help!!!
What I'm looking for is some nice relaxing, calming... music, that is fairly easy to listen to aswell. Any ideas?

*sigh* I must be growing up
We\'ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.\"<br />Robert Wilensky <br /><br />\"Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?\" <br />Screaming Lord Sutch<br /><br />If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Old 05-09-2002, 01:41 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

If you're asking for the best composers, well, in my book:

Beethoven
Brahms
Mozart
Chopin
Rachmaninov
Tchaikovsky
Any of the Strauss Waltzes (Richard and Johannes Strauss)
Debussy
Schubert
Bach
Handel (esp. if you can find it in Brass)
Haydn

Hope this gets you started, at least. If you're looking for orchestras, always go with the Philharmonic ones (they're the ones who put more life into the music), such as the London Philharmonic Orchestra or the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. Boston Pops is great as well...if you can find CD's of when dear Arthur Fiedler conducted for them. The man was a genius, God rest him. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 05-09-2002, 01:45 PM   #3
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

you can't go wrong with bach,beethoven,strauss,and mozart.
Old 05-09-2002, 01:59 PM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Sazerac named the greats--definitely start with them. Just to add some more names to the list:

Mendelssohn
Janacek
Dvorak
Rimsky-Korsakov
Wagner

Fortunatetly, most classical CDs may be found in the under $10 section of music or book stores. Check out any discount/used book stores in your area, as well.

[ 05-09-2002, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Azred ]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 05-09-2002, 02:10 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
Sazerac named the greats--definitely start with them. Just to add some more names to the list:

Mendelssohn
Janacek
Dvorak
Rimsky-Korsakov
Wagner

Fortunatetly, most classical CDs may be found in the under $10 section of music or book stores. Check out any discount/used book stores in your area, as well.
Rimsky-Korsakov I'd give a huge thumbs-up to, as well as Mendelssohn. Wagner is one of the greats, but I'll warn you, if you're not used to that style, it's pretty hard-core. It can be used by surgeons for general anesthesia.

If you are going to try Wagner, try something light to start off with, like "Tannhauser" or "Parsival"...don't jump into the Ring Cycle first thing unless you're very familiar with the Nordic myths.

Cheers,
-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 05-09-2002, 05:26 PM   #6
lroyo

This is where you need Melusine. She's the classical music expert of IW. I'm sure this thread will catch her attention!!

Old 05-09-2002, 05:45 PM   #7
Epona
Zartan

Mmmmmm, I can't advise you on anything light and relaxing I'm afraid - I like the dramatic stuff. My favorite Classical music:

Beethoven's 9th Symphony
Verdi's Requiem
Mozart's Requiem

Faure's Requiem is more relaxing.

'Modernist' stuff I like:
Prokofiev - Love of 3 oranges
Satie - pretty much anything (actually he was a Dadaist). Neither of those are easy listening though, although Satie can be relaxing if you can get your head around dischordant surrealism [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2002, 05:48 PM   #8
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Staralfur:
Recently I've found myself listening to quite a bit of classical music on the radio; basically to help me relax while I'm working, and now would really like to buy a couple of CDs to start my classical music collection. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this area of music (wasted youth ), so I need your help!!!
What I'm looking for is some nice relaxing, calming... music, that is fairly easy to listen to aswell. Any ideas?

*sigh* I must be growing up
My advice: DON"T
Old 05-09-2002, 06:15 PM   #9
Sir Exxon
Zartan

I have one CD with classic music that I really like, the soundset from "Gladiator"...LOL!
No no, but it's true, the music is great, Hans Zimmer is an excellent composer! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2002, 03:50 AM   #10
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Aviendha:
This is where you need Melusine. She's the classical music expert of IW.
Erm... no. Not at all actually.

But I'll add my list, Saz and Epona named some good ones.
If you're just getting into classical music, I could name some 'easy listening' - more accessible music.
Anyway here are some of my favourites, there may be a few in there that are a bit too weird to get into easily, but just give them a try a few times....

Gorecki's Third Symphony (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs)
Mozart's Requiem (most Requiems actually, and most of Mozart's "Geistliche Werke")
Carl Orff's Carmina Burana or Catulli Carmina
Tchaikovsky's Pathetique (his fifth - written just hours before he died of cholera)
Rachmaninov (maybe the Vespers)
Bach/Mozart/Beethoven - anything
Händel's Messiah
Gershwin (Rhapsody in Blue)
Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite or some piano concertos
Janacek (anyone know how to get the half-circle on top of the 'c'?)
Charpentier's Te Deum
the Matthaus Passion *sigh*
Fauré's Requiem or Cantique de Jean Racine
Shostakovich's Fifth or Seventh Symphony (Leningrad)
Vivaldi's Gloria or Quattro Stagioni
Purcell's Dido & Aeneas
Mussorgsky's Night on the Bare Mountain
some Mendelsohn

[ 05-10-2002, 03:52 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]