Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2002, 11:43 AM   #1
B.E. Meathead
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey all, new to the boards, relatively new to D&D as well. Anyhow. I'm stuck fighting the Yuan-Ti Mage inside the second floor of the D'Arnise Keep. What are the best strategies to defeat this thing? The main problem seems to be that it casts domination or chaos spells on my whole party, with maybe one or two unaffected by it. Dispel magic and remove magic don't seem to do anything ... My primary mage, at this point, is Aerie, btw. I've also got Nalia (duh), Jaheira, Minsc, and Yoshimo. My character is a straight-up fighter, so he basically just whacks the trolls. lol Sorry for the noob q's. Thanks for the help, all.

Meathead
Old 07-10-2002, 11:47 AM   #2
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Use the fifth level cleric/druid spell chaotic commands to negate the effects of spells like chaos. Also hit him with a breach spell to remove his stoneskin. Then hack away. It shouldn't be to much of a problem if your fighter(s) are protected by chaotic commands.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:49 AM   #3
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Oh and I forgot to say welcome to Ironworks forum!
Old 07-10-2002, 12:28 PM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the Ironworks Forums.

In response to your question, a quick query. What are the levels of your party member?

In any case, here is a tip. Use summons to enter the room first and take the initial brunt of the attack. The Yuan-Ti Mage will waste its spells on the summons, enabling you to charge in later without fear.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 07:08 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Here's another tip: Enter from the rear and surprise-attack him. You can do this from the roof of De'Arnise. It'll place your party directly behind him; enough for your mages to get off a magic missile and your fighter to give him a whack before he fires off his contingency.

Also: have your mages memorize "Breach", "Spell Thrust", "Remove Magic", and/or "Secret Word" to bring down his defenses while your fighters whale on him.

Using this strategy, I'm generally able to pull him down without a hitch. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 01:27 PM   #6
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

My solution: Summoned monsters. Enter using the left door. Use a summoned monster to draw the fission troll out so you don't have to face both at once. Use summoned monster to tank him so they draw his nasty confusion spells.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:42 PM   #7
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Jaheira has a nice little spell called "Insect Plague"... if you have level 5 spells with her yet, memorise at least one Insect Plague, and fire it at the Yuan-ti as soon as he comes into sight- this tactic works wonders against every enemy you fight who uses spells (which is ALOT) [img]smile.gif[/img]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 12:26 AM   #8
B.E. Meathead
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for all the advice (and the welcome's). Haven't had a chance to get back to the game yet, but I doubt I'll have problems. Thanks all.

Meathead
Old 07-12-2002, 01:48 AM   #9
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

well, you can try domintaing your dominated party member [img]smile.gif[/img] .. thats what i did before heh.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 01:47 PM   #10
syrneia
Dungeon Master

i've always found with any spellcasting fight -
disrupt the mage!!!!
throw everything you can at him/her/it to disrupt their spellcasting
missiles from fast launchers {crossbow of speed, tuigan's bow etc} will take down his stoneskin {a magic missile or two are excellent for this too}, or simply throw your character most proficient in weapon melee right at him {defended by chaotic commands if you so wish} - though this spell does not last very long - you can also charm or reverse dominate afflicted characters
everyone's responses are good advice...though some perhaps a little more involved than need be
there are also a few items/weapons that prevent charm, fear, confusion etc when equipped...maybe go through your inventory and see if you have any of these...

[ 07-12-2002, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: syrneia ]
syrneia is offline   Reply With Quote