Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2004, 09:00 AM   #1
Tarlanon
Manshoon

Question Mark

Hey gang!

I have some questions about the default art set included with DC. 1st of all, when an update comes along does the installed just add the new files to the the defaultart directory? Or does it scan the directory, remove what isn't now part of the default art set, and add the new ones? And is there a list or web page of what the current default art set is?

Also, I am curious as to what plans there are to add or enhance the default art set as it stands today. While what is there is currently functional, it really isn't inspiring (especially in the realm of small pics and character icons), especially considering what some of the wonderfully talented artists of the DC community are putting out there.

Maybe we could have an unofficial contest? Maybe a little 'art show' here?

I think I have some good ideas about enhancing the default art set in DC, but I was curious as to the plans or desires of the community at large before posting anything more.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:34 AM   #2
manikus
Jack Burton

The updater just adds to the default art directory.

What do you mean by enhancing? Changing or adding? The process so far has been if there isn't a graphic that CocoaSpud needs, the first one to get it to him has it included. (How else would some of my icons be the default monster icons? ) But, I think if you can make a good case, especially if it's original artwork, i.e. no copyright issues, then there is a good chance it will be used. I know that anything that is a direct import from FRUA is changed...
As far as expanding the amount of art- size is an issue. But, with that said, at the 640x480 resolution, small pics are, well, small. (We could probably add as many icons as we could find, and it wouldn't change the size in any appreciable way.) The deal for some of us is that we are working in 1024x768- here the graphics are a bit larger...

-manikus
Old 10-28-2004, 03:00 PM   #3
Tarlanon
Manshoon

Well, here is what I was thinking;

The original FRUA actually came with a decent amount of art, at the very least enough to complete a well-rounded design with.

DC, as functionally wonderful as it is, it seriously lacking in the default art (even though it has improved a lot since I starting monkeying with DC). Since one of the goals of DC is to mimic FRUA in what it offers, I at least think it should offer a similar level of art like FRUA did.

You are correct in that we can't just throw whatever we want in and filesize is a big concern when one is talking about delivering a complete package (I know, 'cause I'm still one of those old 56k modem users). This is where the 'art show' contests I was thinking about can come in.

The community as a whole could decide on the theme of the 'art show', then everyone who was willing or able could contribute to the show. This could be done once or more between DC updates so that each successive release would have new and/or improved art. Then by 1.0 DC would have a decent collection together, at least enough for the newest users interested in 'Crafting could get going right away building a quality design without having to buy new paint software or learn some new skills.

As far as how the 'shows' would take place, they would be something like this :

1) Community/organizers decide on the theme and format for the pics needed. (i.e. Character small pics, town small pics, wood wall sets, etc.)
2) Format limits set for the show. (i.e. must be for 640x480, use png compression, not larger than xxkb, must fit within current pic window defaults, etc.)
3) Declaration that the artwork must be original or other proof that it is not copyrighted.
4) Set a deadline for submissions to the contest and send instructions of how to make submission.
5) Let the freakishly talented artists of DC do their thang.
6) Once the deadline passes, someone collects all the submission and makes a web-page or something like that available to the community.
7) Let the community vote on which ones they like the best for x number of days.
8) Take the top 3 or whatever submissions and include them in the next release of DC.

And so on and so forth....

Just thought I would throw this out there.

Let me know whach y'all think!
Old 10-28-2004, 05:06 PM   #4
manikus
Jack Burton

I think this is a great idea. Now, you just have to figure out the particulars. Who are the organizers? Who can host the entrants? Who is in charge of voting? It it official?
I think Ziroc is the official DC artist and CocoaSpud is of course the head cheese, so it might pay to run it by them. I am pretty sure neither would object and would undoubtedly have some great suggestions.
As one of DC's non-freaskishly talented (or maybe freaskishly non-talented?) astists, I'm certainly interested. It would be cool to promote this outside of here and the yahoo group- bring in some new talent, at the very least the curious to see what's going on. The prize would be the credits in DC. I mean, who doesn't like to see their name up in lights?

-manikus
Old 10-29-2004, 06:04 AM   #5
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
This definately gets my vote (and thats the only one I'm 100 % sure of...). If there were to be a contest where free art is freely available, then you should have the site set up so you could DL any, not just the contest winners. But, I agree that this is something necessary to do, and I think the idea should be mentioned to the FRUA community as well (so as to get them interested in DC. I mean look at the work of H.Polsa...)

One consideration you could also have is like instead of a DC art contest, have a DC media contest where any aspiring musical composers out there could throw down a music track for the community, also.

I think you should post a poll asking for who is interested and what themes and what not. And while we're on the subject, would it be that hard to combine this artwork/media site with another great idea you had, the site that does our review of mod designs themselves?? (like go to the "mod" site, review some mods, check our art and/or music, and post your view on them)

Composing and Decomposing
SilentThief
Old 10-29-2004, 10:45 AM   #6
manikus
Jack Burton

Great ideas. I think the change to a media contest is a brilliant idea. I think that it should cover every aspect of DC, i.e. not just small pics, icons and sounds, but big pics, cursors, combat walls, etc.
As to the FRUA community- I think a lot of folks are interested, but have been waiting for a finished product, or at least one close enough to finished to be usable, which DC certainly is.

-manikus
Old 10-29-2004, 03:48 PM   #7
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
btw, I copied some of this post to re-post it on the yahoo groups msg board, so its being let known...

SilentThief
Old 10-30-2004, 07:33 PM   #8
manikus
Jack Burton

I nominate Tarlanon to lead this bad boy, and SilentThief as deputy. And I'll help too. I just don't want to be responsible for vote tabulating, since I plan on entering my own artwork as well.

-manikus
Old 10-31-2004, 05:39 PM   #9
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
"deputy"?? I'm being deputized???

lol
SilentThief
Old 11-01-2004, 02:25 PM   #10
Tarlanon
Manshoon

Cool! [img]graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I would love to try putting this together. I even have some web space and some ideas how to put it all together too.

Of course, I will have the clear the idea through the 'Spud, but if all goes well there it will be full steam ahead!

Deputy SilentTheif! Since I don't spend much time in the Yahoo! groups, can you be the crusader of this idea over there?

To the 'Art' Mobile everyone!