Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2003, 12:46 PM   #1
Kylospylon
The Magister

For those of you who don't know the temple I'm referring to...

SPOILER SPACE
Okay, just thought I'd post this for those of you who have trouble with that creepy temple in the SE Wilderness or those of you that are interested in trying different stategies etc...

Keep in mind that this was only normal mode and I was lvl 15 at the time (was to be 14, but I ran into some heavy resistance before the temple - that levelled me up).

You know those 3 puny Siges hangin' outside, I didn't kill 'em. I manuevered myself so I was just outside the entrance to the temple. I froze the Siges, and spent 3 rounds buffing to high heaven, everything I could think of - Guardian Angel, Eye for an Eye, Haste, Elemental Shield, Soul Shield, Bless etc... After every one in my party (8) had their own guardian angel, I hit run and dashed bang smack into the middle of the temple, "The enemy is without end!". With all the buffs in place, I was free to hit the enemy with a barrage of offensive spells first round.

I consider myself lucky that the Death Lords spent most of their time 'clouding' me instead of 'deathwishing me', I suspect ths was due to being in long range of them in contrast to thrown range, and out of range. 4 Cultists died in the second round due to a reflected death cloud spell (sweet). After adding a few elementals to my army, I ran into the Queen (who my bard had frozen with the aria in the first round (lucky). Soon, Queen = dead, Death Lords = dead, Cultists = dead, Party = alive, Me = happy. I had Deathwish cast on me twice, lots of death clouds, but no problem for an alchemist with a slow initiative (ie. Purify Air at the end of every round, before the next one).

After it was all over, I was amazed to see that not one of my 8 characters had taken a single hit!? I think 1 became nauseated and 1 got poisoned when I ran for the queen and didn't purify a lingering toxic cloud. Any raw damage I sustained from spells must have been soaked up by the guardian angels I casted before hand.

Note: the Siges I left at the front of the temple didn't follow me inside once they were mobile again, they gave up. I went back outside and 'thanked' them for their help with a nice warm fireball. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now I'm not saying that this is the definitive strategy for beating the temple, but it worked so effectively for me, that I thought I'd share the experience. So take it with a grain of salt.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:55 PM   #2
Rezdude03
Manshoon

WHOA! AWESOME! GOOD JOB! NICE STRATEGY!

\"We three, though born on different days, swear an oath of brotherhood\"<br />\"And vow to die the same year, same month and the very same day\"<br />\"Come, my Brothers\' destiny awaits!\"<br />-Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, Liu Bei/ Dynasty Warriors 4
Rezdude03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 02:18 AM   #3
sultan

now that's being creative! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2004, 07:05 AM   #4
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

Great strategy. Never thought to kill those guys with their own medicine. I am currently playing parties without magic users but I'll add some "Eye to an Eye" potions to my stretegy next time I reach the sorceress .

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 07:41 AM   #5
dplax
Jack Burton

The last time I went there it was with a bit higher level party so a turncoated death lord and a death wih of my own did the job.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 07:48 AM   #6
Ben Lauritson
Dungeon Master

Wow, that is bloody impressive
Old 01-05-2004, 07:00 PM   #7
sultan

actually, it's amazing how overpowering you can be in some of those fixed "boss" fights if you leave them til later in the game. i didnt do the retro dungeon until a couple months ago, but to "be safe" i took my oldest party, a group of 4 level 28ers, to meet nebdar for the first time. i have to admit, it was a complete rout.

i've since taken much lower level groups for the challenge and not been disappointed [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2004, 07:33 AM   #8
Kylospylon
The Magister

Yeah Sultan, I know what you mean, there always seems to be one or two boss dudes I end up messing with when I'm overpowered. I usually don't bother with the big fish in bayjin until dealing to the rapax, so I usually fight her at level 20ish and cream her. I see no point going there until I'm almost ready to ascend. If it was up to me, I'd just let her be, she's probably the last of her species, and I have no quarrel with her. I've just never been able to sneak past her successfully. I may be mad, but I never feel 'good' about killing her and I'd ignore her if I could only use the bubblevaters while in combat mode.

Every game, I try to beat the temple at a lower level than the time before. My first time was lvl 20. The temple signifies the end of NPC companionship for me, as it's usually the last big thing I do before the rapax and almost nobody I've met wants to go to the rift with me (chickens). One time I got Vi in, but her constant nagging nearly drove me insane. I never understood her, she wants to destroy the Dark Savant and all his evil minions, she doesn't mind fightng the plethora of crazy-tough monsters on Ascension Peak, but she's too chicken-s#*t to take on a few measly rapax - C'MON! I've lost all respect for her.

Hmmm.. gone off topic... whatever.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:34 PM   #9
yoodaa
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Is it possible to get her KO'ed then retreating from combat after that?