Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2004, 01:34 AM   #1
NeoFax
Welcomed New User

OK, I just started playing this game. I would like to know what is the best Armor and Weapons for the following group:

Elf Ranger
Human Valkyrie
Felpurr Samurai
Elf Bishop
Hobbitt Rogue
Dwarf Priest

I am currently in Arnika and have picked up the Rogue there as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Terry
Old 05-06-2004, 01:52 AM   #2
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Lots of debate about this. I'm always for dual-wielding when you can, but many others aren't. There's also the considerations of avilability. Usually, though, it's smartest to use the weapon classes that take advantage of your chars' bonus skills. For Rangers, that's in Ranged Combat, so one recommendation for them is only use ranged weapons. But they can also wield some nice close weapons as well. I often give a Ranger a spear as well as the best bow i can find. (you graduate fairly quickly to, say, Mystic Spear)
Valk bonus is in Polearm, and there are a lot of nice ones around, but many are noticably slower than, say, swords.
Samurai is easy--Sword bonus=swords. The best weapons in the game are swords, so this one is lucky. Wakizashi then Enchanted Wak for the secondary, and whatever you can get for primary. There is a sword you can get to about halfway through that's Sam only and nicely powerful.
Bishop: Staves. No bonus, but there's a very nice cursed staff, and the curse means less to a caster, who can use spells at distance and doesn't have to swap weapons.
Rogues get multipliers for backstabbing, so anything they're allowed to wield that has a point to thrust with...Daggers are nice, but the most damage can be had with a Sword and a Dagger.
Priest: Well, i'd say staff if you didn't also have a Bishop. Give one of them staves, and the other maybe mace/flail. You can use Whips from the back, and there are a couple nice whips available. There's also a couple very nice maces, so if you can work your formation in such a way as to have more than 3 engage at Short range, do. (eg not using the front arc at all, instead put your protected char(s) in the back wedge and others in the flanks/center)

And dump Myles. Please.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 07:21 AM   #3
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Bishop: My bishops are usually mainly casters and don't melee. So i prefer a shield (extra AC). And with a shield, cot-o-nine or vampire chain is good. Another very good item would be the (very rare) stave of 12 stars.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:35 AM   #4
Argonnes
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ebon staff isn't a bad staff either and you can get it fairly early on if you want to have two staff wielders which allows you to have the Staff of Doom on one characters (cause you can get the SoD relatively early too) and the Ebon staff on the other. Give you two extended attack that can be done from the back.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:57 AM   #5
economist
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My samurai does very well with Bloodlust and some other weapon in his second hand. 7 lighting strikes kills most monsters.

Exclabur for the Val is also awesome. It is not unusual for my Exclabur holding lord to do 300-400 points of damage per round with Exclabur.
economist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:31 PM   #6
Wild Rose
Dungeon Master

I've fallen in love with the Poleax (spear). Does great damage at extended range. By the end of the game had 3 using them Fig. Val. Ran. all with Death or Mystic Spear. Great hits sometimes up to 130 pt from my Dragon Fig. and even critical hits from the Ranger.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:01 PM   #7
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Neofax, if you want to compare armor and weapons you might want to check out Flamestrykes site. There is a submenu for items.

http://www.flamestryke.com/wizardry8...trykes_w8.html

[ 05-06-2004, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Ziggurat ]
Old 05-06-2004, 06:51 PM   #8
babar
Manshoon

what happened to the welcome wagon?

well anyway, hello there.

the absolute bestest armor is the infinity helm
babar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:12 PM   #9
DBear
Drow Warrior

In my game, Vi prefers the stun rod she got from the T'Rang. My fighter loves the Ripper, trading it up from Beastslayer. My bishop upgraded from the ebon staff to a staff of doom. My lord had another good sword and the light shield--first time I ever found a light shield. My bard has Fang. My ninja has a bushido blade and enchanted wakazishi, along with boomerang shuriken and assorted throwables. Vi's also packing a blunderbuss, and three of my other members are also packing excellent bows. Miles has two thieves daggers and can handle himself in a fight quite well.

Level 18-20 in the Rapax Rift.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:36 PM   #10
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

heh, that's good, Babar. I completely left out the armor part of her question...Armor, not something you need practice with to get better at like weapons, so obviously you'll just upgrade as you find more. Babar's right, though, if you can wear Infy Helms, the rest of the game is much easier. Robe of Rejuv, of course, and all chars can wear them except Ninjas (their only upgrade is Canezou). There's a slight upgrade available for ninja footwear, too, but motly they're stuck with the tabi stuff.
Samurai-special armor weighs much too much; there are better alternatives. (like Flak Jacket).
A nice one if you can find them is the Divinemail legs and hoods.
And of course, everyone should have a Cloak of Many Colors eventually. (or --of Stealth)

And Welcome aBoard!

[ 05-06-2004, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: Scatter ]
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote