Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2002, 07:36 PM   #31
MEisCOREY
Elite Waterdeep Guard

can i use the gamespot.com patch instead>?
Old 09-20-2002, 07:43 PM   #32
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

It won't fix the problem your having. The gamespot patch address other bugs with the game. It deals with some of the bugs that were found, when the game was released.
I can dig up the post that spells out what fixes and what it takes away. But it has nothing to do with Win Xp
Old 09-20-2002, 07:49 PM   #33
MEisCOREY
Elite Waterdeep Guard

it doesnt matter, i fergot that the @#$^$^#% who took over gamespot decided nothing should be for free... they want me to pay for a membership hrmmf! and i dont even have broadband! (wich is sorda required) but they still wont let even simple guides** be let out for free! grrrrr, why cant they be cool and let stuff be free, it isnt like they dont make enough money from their damned advertisements!
EDITED ermmm this day --- but only one eotf

[ 09-21-2002, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: MEisCOREY ]
Old 09-20-2002, 07:56 PM   #34
MEisCOREY
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i figured out why this is so hard! the gate im supposed to go through wont open, or i would actually be doing good! but i just dont understand how these downloads work.
Old 09-20-2002, 07:57 PM   #35
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

Check this page...Best Tips...and scroll down to post #13 by Wyvern...'WINDOWS 2000 TOWN BUG.'
Also read the next one by Sazaerac...'On whether or not to install the patch....consider this first!'
Old 09-20-2002, 10:12 PM   #36
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm.... sounds like part of the new tech thread needs updating already.

All right, in the meantime, let me try to cast illuminate.

On Win2k and XP, there's a problem with the video files for the towns. They're compressed, and those versions of Windows don't play happily with compressed files.

Virtualdub is a tool that you can download which will take a compressed video file and uncompress it. Once uncompressed, the video files will work fine in the towns for you.

To uncompress, select one of the AVI files and follow the instructions in the tech thread. Caveat: You've got to save the file as something else, since Virtualdub won't let you overwrite the original file. You'll need to do that manually after you uncompress it.

Uncompressed file size, BTW, is something like 32MB; much, much bigger than the original version, which is less than 100k. That's how you know if you did it right.

Okay, try that on for size and see how it works. If it still doesn't, post back here again.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 12:53 AM   #37
MEisCOREY
Elite Waterdeep Guard

but that is not my problem! the guilds are working! one of my gates are working. everything but one gate is working... well ok im not working... but still! oh ya my highschool team won 28 to 24, but the marching band im in still sucks =/. fight song anyone?
Old 09-21-2002, 04:58 AM   #38
WillowIX
Apophis

Did you get it to work? BTW packrat that list of mirrors is excellent!! Iīm going to replace the ordinary vdub link with that one I think. Gets less confusing [img]smile.gif[/img] MEisCOREY use packrats list to download virtualdub. Then unzip it, and open it. You then choose file-->open video file. Browse to your W&W directory and choose the 'townavi' folder. Inside that one you should find 6 video files. Open townmsk1.avi. When itīs opened in virtualdub, click file then 'save as old format avi' and rename the file as 'ww1.avi' or something. Then repeat these steps with 'townmsk2.avi' and 'townmsk3.avi' renaming them as ww2.avi and ww3.avi. OK you now have three 30Mb avi files so open your explorer. Rename 'ww1.avi' to 'townmsk1.avi' in your explorer. Then do the same for ww2 and ww3.avi, renaming them to townmsk2 and 3.avi. Then select all three 30Mb files and move them to c:\...\wizardsWarriors\townavi. The computer will prompt you about replacing files, select 'Yes to all'. There you go, you have succesfully extracted some avi files [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 02:44 PM   #39
MEisCOREY
Elite Waterdeep Guard

ermmm that fixed a different problem... my one gate still isnt opening.
Old 09-21-2002, 03:42 PM   #40
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by MEisCOREY:[/b]
if warriors can do it all and end up with more hps... (or is it life? ermm health?) then why have priests and wizards?
Because it works the other way around as well. Wizards have magic ability early in the game (right at the start bu thatīs early isnīt it ). And wizards and priest can become any warrior class and thereby boost their hps.

On to the gate problem then. Could you list your specs? We need them all: OS, dx version, graphic card.
Some general fixes are[list=1][*]Update your drivers (sound and graphic)[*]Turn on software mode[*]Do a re install of the game (backup your saves first)
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote