Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2002, 12:02 PM   #1
Sir Goulum
John Locke

I'm kinda interested as to what it is exactly. Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2002, 12:04 PM   #2
Lord Lothar
Quintesson

I *think* it's space on your hard drive that is used by some programs as temperary memory.
Old 11-09-2002, 12:04 PM   #3
whacky
Emerald Dragon

Its kinda like an add-on for RAM except that it works on hard-disk space, atleast this is what my understanding of virtual memory is in terms of analogies [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2002, 12:10 PM   #4
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Hmm...I found a cool site...is this what Virtual Memory is/how it works, more or less?

Most computers today have something like 32 or 64 megabytes of RAM available for the CPU to use (see How RAM Works for details on RAM). Unfortunately, that amount of RAM is not enough to run all of the programs that most users expect to run at once.

For example, if you load the operating system, an e-mail program, a Web browser and word processor into RAM simultaneously, 32 megabytes is not enough to hold it all. If there were no such thing as virtual memory, then once you filled up the available RAM your computer would have to say, "Sorry, you can not load any more applications. Please close another application to load a new one." With virtual memory, what the computer can do is look at RAM for areas that have not been used recently and copy them onto the hard disk. This frees up space in RAM to load the new application.
Old 11-09-2002, 12:11 PM   #5
Lord Lothar
Quintesson

I think that's what whacky and I were trying to say. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2002, 12:14 PM   #6
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Lothar:
AH! So you were! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2002, 12:26 PM   #7
whacky
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Lothar:
AH! So you were! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]An elder orb eh ? Your avatar sure looks funny to me [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2002, 01:19 PM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

The perfect description of Virtual memorey is: what you always run out of [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2002, 04:56 PM   #9
Animal
Gold Dragon

Space set aside on your hard drive by the operating system to cache files and programs to when you run out of physical RAM. It's not very effecient, but if you've got several programs open, the OS will send the ones your not using to virtual memory so the program your working with has full access to your physical RAM. Clear as mud?
Old 11-09-2002, 05:12 PM   #10
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Virtual memory is memory that doesn't exist, but is nevertheless mapped out for use by client applications. Intel '386 and later CPUs have 4GB of addressable address space and ALL of that is available for use, regardless of whether or not the memory chips are physically present.

The OS gets around the limitations of physical memory by "swapping" out pages of memory to harddisk temporarily that are not currently needed. When the data stored on those pages of memory is again needed, the OS recalls them from the HD and puts them back into physical memory so they can be used. This may mean that _other_ pages of memory may be in turn swapped to the disk for temporary storage.

When the calls for memory become so frequent that the HD is contually busy (called "thrashing"), you have reached the practical limit of virtual memory, usually much less than the theoretical limits.

This is why installing more physical memory can dramatically improve system performance in a multitasking system.