Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2003, 09:58 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well i'm curious. In this game one has the option to play with the mouse or with the keys, I myself use the mouse mostly and only resort to the keys when I have to i.e. talking.

I've always done it this way with most games that allow it, I just never bother spending the time to memorize what W and S do, yup it's point and click all the way for me. Sometimes when I tell people this 'in game' they're astonished that i'd actually guide my char around using the mouse pointer and click on spells and weapons to be used rather than incorporating hotkeys.
The method I use has it's drawbacks, the foremost being chatting with other people as your constantly moving from mouse to keyboard - but that said I have a handle on it and react as I need to.

Was wondering just how most people play their NWN's? Do you learn each hotkey off to a tee or what? For me it would be a right pain in the ass but I know it's definetely got it's pros and cons for example, using the keys to walk/run really takes a hit on coordination. With the mouse you simply click a point and your chars AI does the work and gets you there. As I said though, pros and cons .
Old 04-19-2003, 11:08 PM   #2
spydar

I prefer to use the mouse when guiding my character around, just seems easier that way, but I do use the hot keys for pretty much everything else. I luv it for spells and potions especially, much faster. Also I almost always have my fingers on the tab and space bar at any given moment so that my enemies and chests and stuff are always highlighted, and I'm prepared to pause whenever I need to.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:16 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thanks, so you're kinda like myself then.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:41 PM   #4
dragonslayer
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by spydar:
I prefer to use the mouse when guiding my character around, just seems easier that way, but I do use the hot keys for pretty much everything else. I luv it for spells and potions especially, much faster. Also I almost always have my fingers on the tab and space bar at any given moment so that my enemies and chests and stuff are always highlighted, and I'm prepared to pause whenever I need to.
i'm the exact opposite, i never use hotkeys, i only use keys for walking, makes me feel alot moe like i'm in the game i think, having to guide every step by hand...and go into inventory to use a potion or switch weapons...i like it that way, but i would never use it in an infinity engine game if i would have the chance, point and click all the way
Old 04-22-2003, 05:22 AM   #5
Legolas
Jack Burton

I drag items and spells to the bar at the bottom of the screen, but I access those with a mouseclick. I move my character around with the mouse, and the only 'hotkeys' I use are space and tab for pause and highlight. Oh, and the ones for bringing up the different menus. I don't click inventory, spellbook, character or options, but I do use the mouse to select the rest option.
In single player mode and with one thumb on the spacebar, there's plenty of time to wave the mouse about.
If I'm ever going to try MP, there'll be a bit more studying involved. Where to go from using the 'v' key, for example.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 05:19 PM   #6
RoryD
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I always use the mouse for walking and using items, spells, etc. I only resort to using keeys when chatting or canging qiuckbars. I can never remember the right hotkey so the heat of battle.
RoryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 03:52 AM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah the lack of pausing on MPer takes some getting used to...really if you do like I do and use the mouse to act and the keys to speak/Roleplay you need to be quick with it. I guess now that i've been playing online for some time one tends to get adept but at first it was nightmarish, a horrid mess of character sheets popping up when I should be typing and bumping into people when I pressed 'W'.