Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2002, 01:21 PM   #31
Sorcerer Alex

I'm only scared of heights - I get dizzy, my head spins, and I get physically sick from being in some high places. It's strange though, I'm fine in planes, fine in really tall buildings but when I have to get up on a high ladder or climb a big wall.... [img]graemlins/crazyeyes.gif[/img]

And Lifetime, you're not that weird, I prefer not to swim in the sea either. I'm paranoid of stepping on jellyfish or crabs [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: Arledrian ]

Old 01-15-2002, 04:11 PM   #32
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I'm not really afraid of heights, but afraid of falling. I took quite a tumble when I was 6 years old off a ladder and now I shake any time I have to climb up and change a lightbulb or anything else. As long as there's a railing or something, I have no problem, like on an observation tower. So it's definitely not dizziness or vertigo, just a fear of falling.

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 01-15-2002, 04:14 PM   #33
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by fable:

On a slightly less subversive note, I've heard that there are medications that can lessen phobiac symptoms, though these are considerable side effects. They're generally used only in cases that have reached the obsessive/compulsive level, such as rather sad instance of a young mother who was eternally fearful that she would grab a knife and kill her own baby.

That may probably be due to post-partum depression rather than to an actual phobia. Women who suffer from post-partum depression often have fantasies of killing their children (the more severe cases do), and are terrified of that notion. And, yes, there are definitely medicines that will control that.

Old 01-15-2002, 04:19 PM   #34
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by fable:

LOL! Mr. Sexist, I know "little girls" who are third dans in kendo. They could separate your esophagus from your Isle of Langerhans by a couple of room lengths in less time than it would take you to say ARGGGGGH! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

What...uh...DELIGHTFUL people you know, Fable...heh... [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2002, 04:36 PM   #35
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hiya,

Phobias - well one thing I do not like is driving in really big cities, I tend to avoid it when I can. Oddly enough, if I'm in that situation I go into a strange "super mode" and start driving fast and really aggressive and can function really well.

Its like the crowd thing - I tend to be more shy and liking smaller groups of people. But if I get into huge crowds, or say on a stage with 1000's of people watching, I go into a simillar "mode" and suddenly I'm calm and relaxed. I learned how to do this as a musician doing big shows if front of huge crowds. I imagine it must be the same for actors and Drama students.

Sometimes the best way to conquer a fear is to dive right in and try and cope...eventually you either bolt or get used to it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Fable - Hmm, a small army of killer ninja girls? 3rd Dan - pretty impressive, do you study as well?

Best

Scronan
Old 01-15-2002, 06:53 PM   #36
fable
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

What...uh...DELIGHTFUL people you know, Fable...heh... [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]

Now, I never said they would do that, Sazerac. Provided they were treated well, and seldom referred to as "little girls," very few capable, intelligent, right-thinking women will separate a man's esophagus from his Isle of Langerhans, even by a few inches. It's the sexists who usually end up in museum display cases labeled "The Organs of the Human Body."
Old 01-16-2002, 09:46 AM   #37
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Smeagol:
I come from Farnham (the top end near fleet), that's such a coinsidence, considering this isn't even an English site. I go to Guildford a lot, exactly where abouts did you grow up.

LOL! It's a small world!
I grew up in Chilworth, which is just a few miles from Guildford. Moved to London about 8 years ago after a brief spell living near Guildford Cathedral!
Old 01-16-2002, 10:32 AM   #38
Smeagol
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Weird. You don't happen to be a Flames fan do you Epona?
\"This is Preservation Month. I appreciate preservation. It\'s what you do when you run for President. You\'ve got to preserve.\"<p>President George W. Bush speaking during Perserverance month.<p>\"I see this glass not half empty, but half full... and more\"<p>President George Bush Sr.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:36 AM   #39
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Smeagol:
Weird. You don't happen to be a Flames fan do you Epona?

No, sorry!
Old 01-16-2002, 11:03 AM   #40
Black Dragon
Zhentarim Guard

I am alittle bit on the Aracnaphobia side. I can't stand to be around real ones but I'm not scared of them to the point where I can't look at picture of one. I like spider man and all.(only second coolest marvel hero, Wolverine is best) I just don't like to be around real ones.
Black owns!<br />Dragons rule!!<br /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/blackdragonpic.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /> <b>If the media decided that breathing wasn\'t \"cool\" anymore, half the teenage population would be gone.</b> --Someguy