Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2003, 07:27 PM   #1
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

If you consider the following a spoiler, your opinion does not count [img]smile.gif[/img] Why would you be on the boards before you played even 5 minutes of the game? It's nigh impossible to get lost in Candlekeep. I didn't, and that was on my first play through, before I knew anything about the game

Enough ranting.
-
-
-
-
-
-
Anyway, during Gorion's fight with the Armored Figure*** (happy?), it proceeded like normal, except for one thing...

Gorion-Magic Missle
Gorion-Attacks Armored Figure
Armored Figure-Damage taken(5)
Armored Figure-Damage taken(6)
Armored Figure-Damage taken(4)
Armored Figure-Damage taken(4)
Gorion-Attack roll 19-3=16: Miss
Gorion-Death

What the?! Does he die after a certain amount of time?

[ 08-20-2003, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Pyrenk ]
Old 08-20-2003, 07:54 PM   #2
Lemmy
Manshoon

Pyrenk:
If you consider the following a spoiler, your opinion does not count Why would you be on the boards before you played even 5 minutes of the game?

It wouldn't be a spoiler except for the fact that you named the Armored Figure. ("Anyway, during Gorion's fight with ******...") Normally, newbies wouldn't know his name five minutes into the game.

But back to the matter at hand. Is Gorion suicidal? Nay, I say! He's merely a victim of... RPG cliches!

Some Google results:
http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html ("The Grand List of Console RPG Cliches")
http://serpent231.tripod.com/cliche.shtml ("Dictionary of RPG Cliches")

They're console RPG oriented, but some are nonetheless true in CRPGs. Gorion in particular is afflicted by the so-called "Single Parent Rule" (as found on "The Grand List" site).

6) Single Parent Rule
RPG characters with two living parents are almost unheard of. As a general rule, male characters will only have a mother, and female characters will only have a father. The missing parent either vanished mysteriously and traumatically several years ago or is never referred to at all. Frequently the main character's surviving parent will also meet an awkward end just after the story begins, thus freeing him of inconvenient filial obligations

Eerie!

-Lem
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 08:24 PM   #3
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Wow, I really need to get more sleep. I didn't even notice that I named the A.F.

*bashes head into wall*
Old 08-20-2003, 08:55 PM   #4
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Those links were great, Lemmy...I laughed for the first time in a week [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2003, 10:37 PM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

He always die with strange timing, so I have two theory.

1- He die after a certain time
2- He got poisoned in Candlekeep, and the poison just finished him off.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:05 PM   #6
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

But it would show him taking damage from poison, would it not?
Old 08-20-2003, 11:32 PM   #7
TheVulcanAndroid
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Not if it was a no damage potion that just inflicted the status of Death on the victim and was time delayed. But I thought the assassins were too stupid to be able to poison Gorion of all things, and Gorion careful enough not to imbibe things he had not made himself....
Old 08-21-2003, 03:35 PM   #8
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

When Gorion is standing infront of the library in CK, and you try to attack him, he automatically kills you in 1 cast of a spell. At least it's been like that for me, even with an imported character that has enough HP to survive a cast of the spell he used on me (I think it was thunderbolt???). If Gorion can do that, why doesn't he just finish off the 'Armored Figure' like that [img]graemlins/question.gif[/img]

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 08:33 PM   #9
Tancred
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
When Gorion is standing infront of the library in CK, and you try to attack him, he automatically kills you in 1 cast of a spell. At least it's been like that for me, even with an imported character that has enough HP to survive a cast of the spell he used on me (I think it was thunderbolt???). If Gorion can do that, why doesn't he just finish off the 'Armored Figure' like that [img]graemlins/question.gif[/img]
I think he uses it to blat one of the Ogres accompanying The Armoured Figure (tm)... foolish, possibly.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:07 PM   #10
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

He doesn't kill my fighters in one hit...usually the second magic missle does them in [img]smile.gif[/img]