Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2002, 11:55 PM   #1
bigblades
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Baldurs gate 1, was cool. Baldurs gate 2 and TOB were my favorite RPG's ever. I liked them for a ton of reasons, the large cities to hang out in, the cool side quests that were all over, and all the neat items I had to go to great lengths to get. Now, I played icewind dale 1, and although it was ok, the fighting was fun, it just didn't have the intrigue, the cities, the interesting discussions, the cool items, etc. that I loved about baldurs gate games.

So I ask you people who own this game. If I buy this game, will it be another game that 99% of the content is dungeon after dungeon after dungeon, or are there any places to go that don't involve killing whatever I see. Don't get me wrong, the fighting is cool and all, I just want that to be a major part of the game, not 100% of it. So whats your opinions, how is the storyline and stuff, items, cities, people, etc.

[ 09-20-2002, 04:48 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
bigblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 07:02 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

This game is more fight-prone than BG or NWN.

However, with the right character (since this game makes you play your character realistcally)...you can talk your way through some fights,,,and there seems to be a very nice story plot that goes along with the game. The battles (so far that I have seen) are story provoked, like the on-coming war, and have their rightful place...in other words...I have not seen any sensless acts of killing...This is not a shoot-em up game.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 09:21 PM   #3
Magness
Quintesson

Let me start by saying that I've played BG1, BG2:SoA-ToB, and IWD-HOW-ToTL. And liked them all.

I've also played IWD2 all the way thru to the end. And it's worth the $$$.

It is more like IWD than the BG games insofar as its story is fairly linear.

However, unlike IWD, IWD2 does not stick you operating from a single base of operations throughout the entire game (i.e. Kuldahar in IWD). Your "base of ops" shifts as you move thru the story.

You visit a lot more areas than in IWD.

But you return to a couple of the areas in the original IWD and see how things have changed in the 30 years since IWD. BIS did not use the original artwork for these area. Things have changed. And yet there is also some familiarity.

You meet a number of NPCs from IWD.

You get to ride in Oswald Fiddlebender's airship!!!

Oh... and the rules are now 3rd ed DnD rules. This makes a MAJOR change in how things work. If you're already familiar with the 3rd ed rules, you're ahead of where I was when I started IWD2. There are many changes. Some major. Some more subtle.

Puzzle solving plays a major part in IWD2. Almost every major area has at least 1 major puzzle to solve. Most are very difficult.

There are many very tough battles with mobs of enemy grunts. For example (no spoiler details), there's one battle where you're actually defending a location against a major enemy offensive and the enemy sends in wave after wave of various races of grunts backed up by spellcasters. It's an epic battle with excellent background battle music. AND ... it's nowhere near the final battle!!!

This is a MAJOR thumbs up!!! If you liked the previous Inifinity Engine DnD games, buy IWD2! It's an EPIC!!!

[ 09-20-2002, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Magness ]
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 09:45 AM   #4
Baldassare
Dungeon Master

And is 40 bucks gonna break you????
Old 09-22-2002, 06:13 AM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Hell no! It'll MAKE you