Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2002, 12:51 PM   #1
robohobodude
The Magister

i've played pretty much every AD&D rpg im just wondering if this is a good one.

P.S. i've also played IWD1 i didn't like it much but this one is more baced around the book with drizzt and friends, your opinions are welcomed.
Old 09-15-2002, 07:32 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Love it! The third edition rules are nifty...very sleek. Makes the game run smoother and tweaks the system that lil bit more. New spells, new character classes/races, monsters etc. Everything is improved here, this is the infinity engine at it's best. The music and the graphics are as beautiful as IWD1 and the story is twice as good. Some have had problems with the Pathfinding in this game , having their characters wander off in the wrong direction etc. Personally though, I think it's fine, yes it is not the best AI we have seen but it ain't the worst!
Overall if you liked IWD1 this is gold-dust. But even if you didnt get it quick simply for the 3E rules

P.S. There was a large thread posted a while ago called 'How is IWD2' most people wrote their opinions there so if you go back one or two pages u will see it along with everyones views on the game [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-15-2002, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 09-15-2002, 07:52 PM   #3
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

I was dissappointed with NeverWinter Nights but Ice wind Dale 2 is the thing I want it! I was complaning about 3rd Edition but in IWD I used to it [img]smile.gif[/img] now it sounds very comfortable and enjoying. the game could be more linear I'm a BG2 fan [img]smile.gif[/img] but its more linear than IWD1. interface icons etc are great. I enjoy and love this game
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 11:01 PM   #4
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

I started out liking it but as you get further along the battles are really tough,to the point that its not fun a good part of the time.It ain't my first rodeo either I've been playing rpgs for yrs!Don't get me wrong I do like the game but god it gets tougher every chapter!!All in all get it !I too love the tie in from the books(R.A.Salvatore).
Old 09-17-2002, 09:14 AM   #5
eva
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I wish I could give you word on this game but since it is so buggy it is unplayable I will have to pass. I suggest you check out the Black Isle web site as there are some really big problems with certain video cards. I would love to take on this game but sigh........Eva
eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 09:54 AM   #6
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

I am sorry that you have encountered such problem, eva. Years of experience in using PC has taught me to use which ever hardware that is most popular. Ever since I have been using nVidia video cards and Sound Blaster sound cards, I have very little problem with hardware compability.

[ 09-17-2002, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 09-17-2002, 05:20 PM   #7
scozzese
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I didn't like the original IWD either, or at least not compared to BG. This one obviously is no BG/BGII either, unfortunately, but then what is. I like it a lot better than the original, the 3rd edition rules seem better and of course there are all the classes available compared to the first one. The only negative experience I've had is in one chapter where it becomes extremely tiresome (chap 5) due to some puzzles that require a lot of walking around, and are not that intuitive either.

As for comments on bugs, I'm just finishing the 5th chapter and haven't had any problems.

On the whole go for it, especially if you played the BG series and are looking for anything remotely comparable to fulfill that addiction.
scozzese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 10:46 PM   #8
Tigerfire
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I saw an article that said IW2 is more a hack and slash game than an RPG. I guess that is true if you compare it to BG.

As for the bugs... The pathfinding is horrible. I have had characters go the exact opposite way that I told them to go.

The game seems to slow down for no reason. I just had it slow down when I only had one character on the screen.... everyone else was dead... small fireball accident.

There are also some quests that I was not able to complete do to bugs. Like the clearing of the river caves. I had to use the cheat to finish it.

It looks great and it the sound is great but there are just so many problems with it.

If you only have enough money for one game and there is somethig else you want... I would get the something else. if money is no object, then sure pick it up, I am sure sooner or later the bugs will be fixed and it's a good way to kill some time.

Tigerfire
Old 09-17-2002, 11:00 PM   #9
DraconisRex

It is an excellent game. If you have played any of the IE games, this one has the best engine. Pathfinding still isn't the greatest... But the game rocks.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 09:01 AM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Amen to that - I keep saying it but it does rock, this system is the best yet for the infinity engine.