Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 08:26 AM   #71
Midget Gems

Lots of spoilers again.

Well I went ahead and created a Level 1 Bard to fill my empty 6th slot and I used Dalekeeper to change her into a Gnome so that I could keep the all Gnome theme intact. If you like she could be considered as an illusion created by my Mages to help in their time of need. I issued instructions that on no account should she do anything other than play her battlesong throughout the fight.

We started the fight and followed much the same tactics as before – distract the big guy, then trick the Golems into standing still while we bashed them, then turn our attention to the main event. I always summon a Fire Elemental who is extremely durable and lasts the whole battle. Also I heal him if he gets damaged because he really has a vital role to play I taking the heat out of the situation. My team then get fully buffed and, while my two strongest characters play hit & run around the room, my archer shoots off his stock of arrows (~130) at Belhifet. At difficulty setting of ‘Very Easy’ I suppose a Tanari has about 250HP so I do enough damage to remove just over half of his HP with my archer, who by now has a Thaco of 2. All I need now is for my Fighters to score about 4 critical hits (~30HP each time) and that ought to do it. So we piled on the pressure (more hitting; less running) and eventually those long awaited words appear on the screen “Critical Hit ……Belhifet Death”. I pause the game, take the screenshot and the job is done.

When I set out many weeks ago (in February), I envisaged a short mini-adventure through the first Chapter or two, so to reach the finale was something of an over-achievement. If nothing else it goes to show that equipment and magical resources are more important than HP and Thaco, but most important was to keep a very low AC at all times. In any fight if I could stay alive long enough, then I could find a way to do the damage necessary to win. Also healing was never a problem, with so few HP it was easy to regain full health after a blow and the unexpected benefit from the ‘Beginners Luck’ feature gave me the chance to do this every time. I suppose above all this feature made the impossible into a reality.

So this really is the end for the Suicidal Gnomes
Thanks for staying with me throughout, we created one of the longest threads on the Forum. Also the sreenshots may be coming to a web-page near you, in the very near future.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:11 PM   #72
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Amazing, you just reached out and grabbed one of the loftiest achievements available to players of Icewind Dale.
[img]graemlins/jawdrop.gif[/img]

Congratulations, a round of applause to MG!

[img]graemlins/superdude.gif[/img]
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:12 PM   #73
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

wow that is quite an accompishment. congrats
Old 05-24-2005, 07:55 PM   #74
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Seriously, great job. You must be very patient
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 03:36 AM   #75
Aerich
Lord Ao

Wow, I can't believe you actually got through the whole thing, Belhifet and all... way to go! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

You must have worn out the spacebar on your keyboard.

You should import them into a new game and level them up, just for fun - then run through the game again, on a high difficulty level, for personal satisfaction, as you watch them walk through areas that took you 100+ reloads.

[ 05-25-2005, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 05-25-2005, 08:11 AM   #76
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Congrats now.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:02 PM   #77
NobleNick
Quintesson

Suicidal Gnomes: The anti-powergamer. Wow...

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:34 PM   #78
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by NobleNick:
Suicidal Gnomes: The anti-powergamer. Wow..
Yeah... that about sums it all up...

[ 05-25-2005, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Kyrvias ]
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 03:51 AM   #79
Aerich
Lord Ao

Quote:
Suicidal Gnomes: The anti-powergamer. Wow...
Ohhh Maaarrrty... I have a challenge for yoooouuu...

[ 05-27-2005, 03:52 AM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 05-27-2005, 05:43 AM   #80
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Aerich, I seriously doubt that the gnomes, whatever awwesome scrolls, weapons, armor, leadership, tactics ect. that they have found, can take on a level 30 paladin, if thats what you mean .

Kindly expand on this challenge
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote