Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2001, 10:52 AM   #1
GarethDragonsbane
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I recentely encountered my first Beholder "The Director" in Domain of the Dragon. Upon laying eyes on the creature, I expected an epic fight ala PnP D&D. Sadly, I found it much too easy to kill. It seemed only to dish out a few magic missiles before my two primary fighters killed it with a few sword strikes. In PnP each of the eye-stalks had a unique power and the central eye projected a powerful anti-magic ray. Among its powers were flesh to stone, disintigrate, etc... Are none of these powers mirrored in the BGII Beholders?
Old 05-02-2001, 10:58 AM   #2
Jim
Quintesson

They do have flesh to stone and can dish out plenty of damage with the magic rays, but they are a breeze to kill if you have the cloak of mirroring or the shield of balduran to reflect all magical damage back to the beholder.

You just wait until your in a beholder city, and try to survive without these items!

[This message has been edited by Jim (edited 05-02-2001).]
Old 05-02-2001, 10:59 AM   #3
Charlie
Lord Ao

I think they still have those powers....maybe you got lucky. The beholder section (Underdark? or unseeing eye.....again I forget) can be outrageously difficult (at least I found it so first run through) without using the shield of Balduran and cloak of reflection or mirroring. I'd advise against using these items.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 05-02-2001, 11:00 AM   #4
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Heh... try to fight couple of Elder Orbs at the same time without the Cloak of Mirroring or other reflecting item.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 05-02-2001, 11:02 AM   #5
Lord Shield

In PnP, beholders can target their eyes around them at multiple directions, but not in front where a CONTINUOUS anti-magic ray operates

Old 05-02-2001, 12:25 PM   #6
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Actually, I didn't get either of those reflective items. I HATED those dungeons because of it. Played with someone online, and it was Waaaay too easy with it. Kinda made it not challenging for us, and took away some of the fun. I think they are harder in PnP but without those items, they are still plenty hard to beat. Good Luck

BK

------------------

The Black Storm Cloud of the Night
Consort to a Queen
Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way
Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Offical Wizard and Warrior Questioner
Old 05-02-2001, 12:38 PM   #7
Charlie
Lord Ao

I think I was there BK. I took no real part in that whole section, bar standing near the entrance and waiting for the protected one to stroll from one end of the dungeon to the other (no offence to the protected one .) Imho those items are just waaaay too powerful.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 05-02-2001, 01:18 PM   #8
ShadowUK

The shield of Balduron and the cloak of reflection suck because they make turn the Beholders into floating footballs.
And it's just to easy

------------------
Old 05-02-2001, 10:31 PM   #9
Tancred
White Dragon

THAT's the spirit! Who needs an easy life, eh? We're ADVENTURERS, not plumbers! We don't look at the problem and think 'Hmm... nasty case of Beholders down there... I'll need my wrench, a washer and my Cloak of Mirroring'. Drizzt doesn't have an arsenal, hell no! He makes do with his twin scimitars (alright, bad example)! You don't wait around swopping swords, shields, suits of armour etc! You cast a few defensive spells and charge in, hoping your companions will be there for you as you would be for them! Hell-for-leather, to hell with the damage you suffer! It's an honour thing!

Tancred

Having said that, try reading 'Charge of the Light Brigade'.
Old 05-03-2001, 05:54 AM   #10
Halbred
The Magister

I read that the Director was not a beholder at all, but a creature that looks like a beholder...

COuld explain why it is so much of a weakling