Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2002, 08:07 PM   #41
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
I'm going on Sunday! I'll be cracking my directors cut out sunday morning!
That's the way to do it...lol.

I'd been ready for TTT for the last year, but after watching LotR last night, it brought back that "what's next" feeling.

I can't believe we have to wait another year for "Return of the King".

Wanna bet there will be a prequel? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

The media frenzy around LotR will prove good for something. Once these movies are done at the theaters, my money says, "there will be a 'Hobbit' movie".

[ 12-18-2002, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 12-19-2002, 01:24 AM   #42
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
...snip snip...So who is to blame for Brittney? The people that buy her records.
And her mum and dad and that human fascination for sex you mentioned...

I have to agree here for the sake of culture - Keep an open mind, whether something is popular or not should not determine it's worth to the individual.
Judge it on it's own merits and don't be a slave to either the 'populist' or the 'elitist'.

Nice Worg I'm sorry, but if you ignore things just because they are popular, you are just as guilty of following a fad. You have not made up your own mind based on your own experience, but are merely a follower of yet another trend...

On topic, I personally can't wait for Boxing day. I'm working in the evening but am going to pull out all stops to get there before. My local cinema has just been renovated with comfy seats, bigger screens and improved sound but bizzarely have retained their cheap tickets! (1/2 the price of the others in the same major chain!)
Sometimes the jaded world view does get a stir...
[/QUOTE]I wonīt be an elitist as long as everyone arenīt turning to populist. That sickens me.. yea and donīt forget to check out what great books left unnoticed because of LOTR..
Old 12-19-2002, 01:27 AM   #43
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Tancred:
quote:
Originally posted by NiceWorg:
quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
NiceWorg, this is one of those rare occasions where popular culture is actualy correct about something.

See the film or not. I would recommend it, but at the end of the day its your loss.
Yes yes, itīs my "loss", if thatīs what you want to call it. Maybe I buy weights for that ticket money instead... and live a healthier life. Ha ha..

And most probably Iīm going to see it anyway, not in a movie theatre, but in peace and quietness after some years.
[/QUOTE]I'm a believer in the cinema experience. If you reckon you'll end up seeing it, hell, take up the chance to see it on the big screen, I say. Don't count the years! Count the MOMENTS! Live! Try everything there is to see! Movies! Sports! Foriegn Travel! You - any of us - may not live to see 2004.
[/QUOTE]Exactly! But seeing that 0.001 percent of healthy 20 year people die just by that itīs quite unlikely.. besides, Im still waiting to get that DVD player..
Old 12-19-2002, 01:29 AM   #44
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sever:
It pisses me off that a band with talent and a new/original style can be overshadowed by a bunch of teens who can't play or write music (hell, 90% of the time, they can't even sing) simply because the powers-that-be have decreed that it is 'popular'.
'The powers that be' are the humans that attend the shows and buy the CDs. That is what by definition determines popularity. [/QUOTE]But if consumers were deciding popularity, how is it that all these much-hyped pop idols and whatever else get 1 or 2 number ones and then fade away forever? Surely if they were good enough to get a number one on there own merit they would have at least a few more before fading?[/QUOTE]... why Britney is fading out -- she doesnīt have enough talent that would keep her name on highlights. And the people who support her donīt care if she has talent at all. Sheīs a trend. Or at least that is how I see it.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:35 PM   #45
Tancred
White Dragon

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tancred:
[qb]
quote:
[qb]
I'm a believer in the cinema experience. If you reckon you'll end up seeing it, hell, take up the chance to see it on the big screen, I say. Don't count the years! Count the MOMENTS! Live! Try everything there is to see! Movies! Sports! Foriegn Travel! You - any of us - may not live to see 2004.[/QUOTE]Exactly! But seeing that 0.001 percent of healthy 20 year people die just by that itīs quite unlikely.. QB][/QUOTE]Nooooo! Aw, man! Now you've said THAT, you're probably about to drop dead any minute!

Tancred

Doesn't so much tempt fate as slap it in the face...
Old 12-20-2002, 02:07 AM   #46
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
I wonīt be an elitist as long as everyone arenīt turning to populist. That sickens me.. yea and donīt forget to check out what great books left unnoticed because of LOTR..
Or the books that publishers spend money publishing because Lord of the Rings made money for them.

It cuts both ways you know.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 12-20-2002, 02:16 AM   #47
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
I too have a dislike for things which are 'popular' and can empathise with NiceWorg's POV. Well, not so much a dislike, rather a weariness of hype which the pop culture (whether music, film, games, whatever) breeds.
I can say that I agree with you on this one. Art is art, fine is fine. But sometimes hype can get just a little overkill. Of course, it's our choice whether we pay attention to advertising or not, but it becomes increasingly difficult to ignore when it is thrust in your face day after day after day on billboards, poster-signs, radio and tv ads etc. Of course this doesn't make the artistic product any less legitimate or valid, just gives it less of an impact as you become somewhat 'desensitized' to it.
Old 12-21-2002, 09:08 AM   #48
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
quote:
It pisses me off that a band with talent and a new/original style can be overshadowed by a bunch of teens who can't play or write music (hell, 90% of the time, they can't even sing) simply because the powers-that-be have decreed that it is 'popular'.
'The powers that be' are the humans that attend the shows and buy the CDs. That is what by definition determines popularity. [/QUOTE]I apologise. maybe i should have explained myself better. The 'powers' that i refer to are not the masses which technically define whether or not a product is popular (you are 100% in that respect). Rather, i refer to the vampiric, bloated, scum sucking executive producers who, in their lack of creative wit, analyse the market for the most financially successful products (not based on ticket/product sales alone but also taking into consideration stupid junk toys and posters and all that after market crap) then churn out a remarkably uninspired effort containing only the base ingredients needed to inspire the fans of the previous film/album/whatever to cough up their hard earned. Occasionally, in an effort to broaden the target range, they may combine elements of several successful 'whatevers' but the end result is always the same.

There is popular (as defined by Yorick's dictionary definition) and then there is 'pop'. It is this latter type that i so despise.

[ 12-21-2002, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Sever ]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 12-21-2002, 11:56 AM   #49
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I saw the film Friday night with some friends. It was totally brilliant. Better than the Fellowship (while excellent in its own way, I felt that the first really just set the scene). An unexpected amount of comedy was welcomed with open arms, as was Gollum.

SLIGHT SPOILER
However, I really did begin to despise Frodo. During the battle of Helm's Deep, the action was totally ripe. The audience was totally captivated, and nearly everyone was sitting forward in their chairs. Aragorn slices his way through an army of orcs, Legolas uses a metal sheet to skate down some stairs, and Gimli is counting the kills. THen it switches to Frodo and Sam walking through a city, and you could hear the sighs of frustration in the room and the sound of 60 people settling back into their chairs. It then struck me that Frodo is a pansy . In the Fellowship, on Weathertop (s/p?) when the Nazgul are attacking, Sam goes forwards and gets sliced away. Then Merry and Pippin step together, and are each put to one side. the Nazgul gets to Frodo, and he doesn't even ready himself. He falls backwards and then goes invisible. Now, I know that its not every day that you get confronted by some dude with a REALLY bad throat problem and a fetish for black, but still, it left me with the impression that yes, while the putting-on of the ring HAD to be worked in there somewhere, Frodo could have done more.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:06 PM   #50
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

In Malaysia, the Malay subtitles spell "worgs" "wargs"!!!!!!!

woooops... hope i didn't spoil it for anyone there...
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!