Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2003, 09:35 AM   #11
Turwyn Yellowbear
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, I've downloaded and installed Trials of the Luremaster, and my game still slows way down whenever there's smoke or fire on the screen. Currently, I'm in the lower Dorn's Deep region with the lava flows, and the slow down is ridiculous.

So, am I the only person who has run into this problem? Let me add that I could play Enter the Matrix without a hitch at all, so I would assume that if my Vaio can handle that, then playing a game that's several years old by now shouldn't be much of a problem.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:14 PM   #12
NewbietoRPGs
Drow Warrior

Turwyn,
Nope you're not the only one. I've noticed that same problem in Bandoth's place too. I don't have ToTL as of yet but I guess that doesn't help either. Anyone have any suggestions??
NewbietoRPGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 02:43 PM   #13
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Ok try this.
If youre using Windows XP try switching to ME or 98... or right click on iwdmain.exe click compatibility tab and select the win 98/ME compatibility
Old 12-15-2003, 04:23 PM   #14
Turwyn Yellowbear
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I don't think I'm willing to switch my operating system just to play the game. I can live with the slow down. Will switching the compatibility still work if I leave XP on? And will that cause problems with any other programs?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:11 AM   #15
ZFR
Legion Symbol

If you right click on iwdmain.exe click compatibility tab and select the win 98/ME compatibility then you can run the game normally from windows XP and it will not affect anything else other than this file...
I did this and it solved the problem of refresh rate being too low but caused the intro movies to lag a little... however the process is completely reversible.. anytime you can switch off the compatibility for the file.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:08 PM   #16
NewbietoRPGs
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
If you right click on iwdmain.exe click compatibility tab and select the win 98/ME compatibility then you can run the game normally from windows XP and it will not affect anything else other than this file...
I did this and it solved the problem of refresh rate being too low but caused the intro movies to lag a little... however the process is completely reversible.. anytime you can switch off the compatibility for the file.
I've tried to do this a couple of times and it seems like everything is running in superslowmo....Is there something else I can tweak so it runs faster?
NewbietoRPGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 10:24 AM   #17
Turwyn Yellowbear
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Just a quick note. I've restarted my game with some new characters, since installing TOTLM. The game performance seems to be better, but I'm only still in Ch. 1, so we'll see.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:58 AM   #18
Azaghal
The Magister

Switching the operating system won't help, so don't give it a try. I run my pretty new and fast PC under Win98 (just sentimental and lazy) and I face exactly the same problem. My PC way exceeds the system requirements of IWD, so this can't be the reason. Also I tend to keep my harddisk neat and clean: Fragmentation and data waste won't be the problem either.
I have IWD and HOW installed, so patches also won't help. I thought about downloading TotL, but now I read it's no solution.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want to restart my game!!!
Old 01-09-2004, 10:31 AM   #19
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Turning down the graphics (especially the static animations) and turning 3D acceleration off will almost always improve the framerate.

You can do all this in the IWD Configuration option from the Windows Start Menu.

[ 01-09-2004, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 10:34 AM   #20
Turwyn Yellowbear
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Azaghal,

No need to restart, that doesn't seem to help either -- at least not completely. I'm also playing BG2 btw, and my computer is handling it just fine.

---------------
Well, it doesn't make much sense to me -- but then again, you are very small. (Treebeard, The Two Towers)