Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2005, 12:46 PM   #1
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Hey, I was looking through IMDB the other day and saw that they are remaking this movie, with Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka I loved the book (Roald Dahl (sp) is a great author, a bit cracked, but very good childrens novels). I enjoyed the original movie and am slightly curious how this will compare.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Did a little more research, it looks like they aren't taking a new spin on it, but rather just reshooting the Gene Wilder version... With Tim Burton directing I'm scared, Planet of the Apes scared.

[ 03-19-2005, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]
Old 03-20-2005, 09:55 PM   #3
Orbost
The Magister

Dude, just relax. It's basic movie algebra:

Tim Burton + Jonny Depp = sure-fire mega-movie!!

As evidence, may I present Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, and Sleepy Hollow. The defence rests...
Orbost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:42 PM   #4
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

I usually agree that Johnny Depp can do no wrong, especially when working with Tim Burton, but I don't trust Burton doing a remake of any movie, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a little lighter than Burton usually does, to explain: Batman, Nightmare before Christmas, Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, Beetlejuice, etc. all great movies, all very dark in comparison. Burton is at his best when he can be dark, when he has to use a lighter tone, or makes a remake he falls apart, IE Planet of the Apes.
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:27 PM   #5
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Should be interesting, Pscyho springs to mind.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:42 PM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Smiley

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:
I usually agree that Johnny Depp can do no wrong, especially when working with Tim Burton, but I don't trust Burton doing a remake of any movie, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a little lighter than Burton usually does, to explain: Batman, Nightmare before Christmas, Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, Beetlejuice, etc. all great movies, all very dark in comparison. Burton is at his best when he can be dark, when he has to use a lighter tone, or makes a remake he falls apart, IE Planet of the Apes.
But... but... this has like the potential of a diamond mine for Tim Burton! C&tCF is not exactly your standard everyday fairytale. Roald Dahl is like to books what Tim Burton is to movies. Dark, morbid humour!

If anything, I expect Tim Burton to give little kiddies nightmares with his rendition of the blueberry scene.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:17 AM   #7
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

I dunno... I thought the trailer looked pretty good.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:05 AM   #8
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

I like Burton well enough, though he's made some crap. The new version might be interesting.

But I'm surprised that he'd choose to remake just the movie version. Surely he'll alter it in some way? Dahl didn't like the movie and I agree that Burton and Dahl share some similarities.

Anyway, even if he changed stuff Burton wouldn't have the chutzpah/be dumb enough to include the first-edition, black pygmy Oompa-Loompas. History isn't kind to Colonialist thinking.

http://www.roalddahlfans.com/books/charoompa.php

(edit: link)

[ 03-26-2005, 06:06 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Mopery ]