Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2002, 08:28 AM   #11
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by dragonwolf:
i have no intintion of spending my days ,as long or short as they may be, worring about some stupid thing that may or may not come

the truth of the matter is simply this if we do spend all our time worring about an attack that may or may not come then the terrorest have won and taken away our most valuable gift the freedom and securety of of our lives
well spoken dude, that's the spirit.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:01 AM   #12
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Sadly in situations with nuclear weapons there is no good outcome, and all it takes is a few careless people, and then a place is bombed... they don't step back and look at the big picture, what happens next, the wrong contry is bomned in return, they have allies, and before long bombs are flying back and forth from different parts of the world.
They don't seem to realise that having an enemy is better than destroying the entire planet.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:21 AM   #13
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

i ts not the atomic bomb im troubled with its the people who've been put in charge of how it was used, Truman was the WORST president in the history of ... history because he chose to use the nukes on Japan instead of China, now if we'da nuked the hell out of china that would've 1: Ruined Comunism for the country 2: Probably scared our enemies our of their wits to the point of surrender... if not make the japanese our allies [img]tongue.gif[/img] the Mcarthur constitution was automatically innevitable, but the fact that we bombed civilians with out most powerfull weapon of destruction doesn't make me very happy... its more like a scar on the US : / one of many scars... the russians never used their bombs and would rather not but we've been afraid (some paranoid freaks still are) ever since they got them, Cuba was only a pawn just as Turkey was a pawn for us, but we ignored that fact... Now that terrorism is what we have to worry about, well... I say we launch all of our weapons into Jupiter, or the sun, that way we wont have to deal with em, heck, why dont we try to blow up a planet or two, just for fun eh? we could ya know, I think that'd be a terrific fireworks show

its not hard to get a nuke to go off tough, all you need is the highly unstable U235 and add a single electron and then
Old 05-06-2002, 09:39 AM   #14
Elif Godson
Dracolich

I say we gather up the leader's of all the countries and rebel group's give them some boxing gloves and have them duke it out that way. most of these "leader's" will probably never even see the combat that they are sending there loyal troop's to do
Old 05-06-2002, 11:19 AM   #15
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

Quote:
i ts not the atomic bomb im troubled with its the people who've been put in charge of how it was used, Truman was the WORST president in the history of ... history because he chose to use the nukes on Japan instead of China, now if we'da nuked the hell out of china that would've 1: Ruined Comunism for the country 2: Probably scared our enemies our of their wits to the point of surrender... if not make the japanese our allies the Mcarthur constitution was automatically innevitable, but the fact that we bombed civilians with out most powerfull weapon of destruction doesn't make me very happy... its more like a scar on the US : / one of many scars... the russians never used their bombs and would rather not but we've been afraid (some paranoid freaks still are) ever since they got them, Cuba was only a pawn just as Turkey was a pawn for us, but we ignored that fact... Now that terrorism is what we have to worry about, well... I say we launch all of our weapons into Jupiter, or the sun, that way we wont have to deal with em, heck, why dont we try to blow up a planet or two, just for fun eh? we could ya know, I think that'd be a terrific fireworks show
deathkiller,when we bombed japan china was not only our ally,thay were still a country divided between the commies,nationalists,and the warlords.it was in the korean war in the early 50's that we faced communist china.and how could truman be the worst president ever?what,because he didn't nuke china?that would have brought the soviets into the war with their nukes.a
the fact that we used those weapons was the best thing for all concerned.it saved hundereds of thousands of allied soldiers and millions of japanese.because contrary to what the revisionists say,the japanese army was not going to surrender.
deathkiller,soviet military doctrine in case of a war with nato was to use nukes and chemical weapons first,then follow with a massive ground attack.they never used their nukes because they never had the chance to.and castro invited the soviets to base missiles in cuba.they were not pawns of the soviets.why do you think the soviets didn't try to hide a few missiles in cuba anyway?because castro tried to get them to launch missiles on the us.
and last of all,if you took every nuke that exists,add them to the ones that have been destroied,and then take the ones that have already been detonated,and gathered them all in one place and set them off the planet would NOT be destroied.the radioactive material thrown into the atmosphere would kill millions if not billions,but the planet would not break up.sounds like you've been reading too much bad science fiction.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:31 AM   #16
Horatio

Another scary situation:
The tension between India and Pakistan mounts. Civil unrest in India/Pakistan. Current ruler steps down. Al-Quada (s/p) steps in quickly. President Bin-Laden comes to power. And India and Pakistan HAVE got nukes. Scary.
Scary, but highly unlikely.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:37 AM   #17
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

Quote:
The tension between India and Pakistan mounts. Civil unrest in India/Pakistan. Current ruler steps down. Al-Quada (s/p) steps in quickly. President Bin-Laden comes to power. And India and Pakistan HAVE got nukes.
fortunately the pakistani military would never allow this to happen.
Old 05-06-2002, 02:00 PM   #18
Azred
Drow Priestess

I was predicting a nuclear incident inside a major city 10 years ago; I figured it would happen by 2000--glad to see that I was wrong!

However, yes, it is only a matter of time before something like that happens. I have altered my scenario of this event some, because the logistics of bringing all the appropriate materials into the US is mind-boggling (not impossible, just really difficult); unfortunately, this means that a major European city will be hit--this means Paris, London, Rome, or Berlin as the most likely targets. Since England has the closest ties to America, London is the most likely target(no offense to any Londoners; just a projection of a scenario).

I don't doubt that at least a handful of Russian devices have gone missing, but they are most likely dismantled. Just as with most cars, they are more valuable when disassembled and sold piece-wise; the radioactive material could be used in "dirty" radiative conventional bombs (another highly likely scenario) and the other components could lead to a non-nuclear power becoming a nuclear power (what government wouldn't pay tons of money for that technological leap?).

India and Pakistan are worrisome from time to time, but they can both be relied upon to be reasonable enough to walk away from a nuclear exchange (even if the Kashmir province runs red with blood). They have more sense than that.
Israel, however, I feel would respond with a nuclear blast to protect themselves. I have nothing against Israel, but they really wouldn't care about any negative reaction from the world community for launching a missile at Riyadh, Damascus, Cairo, Tehran, or Baghdad.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 05-06-2002, 04:49 PM   #19
Lavindathar
Harper

I think DragonWolf hit it bang on the head.

Why do you want to talk about such? Yes, it is worrying, that maybe in 10 years, everyone on the planet may be dead. But do you know what that signals to me? Live your life. Don't worry about what may or may not happen.

I might fall down the stairs tomorrow...but I'm not going to worry.

Not tryin to offend, just offerin my thoughts.
Old 05-06-2002, 04:52 PM   #20
Talthyr Malkaviel

Well, I normally look at things the same way Lavi, in fact I get really worked up by those doom-speakers who are always on about the world ending, like the ones in 2000, and that guy who believed it would end in 1998.
But with this I get aggravated because there are people actually willing to do something like that, and possibly ruin the planet, inconsiderate is a polite word for them, but I have others that I won't say here.