Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2000, 09:44 AM   #1
marco
The Magister

high all,

need some input here. I am going up against 3 verbeek's and two clerics( area just before the very end of level 1). the clerics are the one's giving me the most trouble. I have in my party:

drawf fighter
human ranger
2 dwarf clerics
1 female elf theif mage ( +1 bow and fire arrows)
1 elf mage

when i send in the clerics and fighters to attach the verbeeks I use my mage ( +1 sling) and my thief to look after the clerics. The clerics seem always to do heavy damage to everyone. what is a good strategy for this area? I tried the setup of everyone back and send in a decoy to lure the verbeeks then the clerics -- they all seem to come at the same time.

need some help here thanks.
marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2000, 09:58 PM   #2
amain1967

i had my ranger and thief off to the sides with bows and crossbows and my cleric and mage standing way back casting spells, and sent my 2 fighters in to melee with the verbeeks, if i remember correctly the clerics cast entangle or web, but to no avail, both fighters wear a ring of free action. my other 4 players were out of range.
Old 11-27-2000, 12:07 AM   #3
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

Try casting silence 15' rad. when your fighters move in. Back that up with hold person and other spells while the mage magic missles them. A general tatic is to move slowly through the dungeon so you only face a few at a time. and watch your back for suprises.If you dont have hold person, then cast web and entangle simultaneously to slow down the giant-kin and move back toward the entrance picking them off the priests at with range weapons. Stealth can helpas well. Scouting ahead hidden tips you off to the enemies locations so you plan your attack instead of stumbling in blindly.
omegadawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2000, 01:37 AM   #4
Khanar Tor'vel

It's Verbeeg by the way, guys. Just thought you might want to know.
Old 11-30-2000, 03:33 PM   #5
Montag

Use missle weapons on the clerics so that they cannot cast spells. Take your lumps from the verbeegs until the clerics are dead, then take down the verbeegs.
Old 12-05-2000, 08:14 AM   #6
Silverblade
Dungeon Master

I couldn't find a way past these guys, Verbeegs I found were too damn tough for the XP gained from them, and they nearly always attacked in groups to two or three. I tried several ways to take them down, but my party ended up with one or two left barely alive. What I did in the end was to load the game, get into the Game Options and drop the difficulty level by one, (Or more if you have to). You won't get as much XP for killing them this way but you will get to proceed.
Silverblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2000, 05:08 PM   #7
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

are you having trouble getting past those giants to the place where the heartstone jem is held? consider this. The verbeegs are hella strong for only 420 exp, so skip them! you have clerics, so memorize a lot of "sanctuary" spells, or make someone invisible and just run past all of them. i never bothered to kill those guys. there are some cool items in the chests there, so be sure to reload and export the random items many times
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote