Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2003, 08:14 AM   #1
Mongoose
Elite Waterdeep Guard

When I'm in the ice castle area and I go trhough the cave entrance, (Here: "Go right to the lower right passage which leads to Lower Dorn's Deep and Chapter 6. (x 1100 y 625)") to Lower Dorn's Deep the game starts to load the area and then the screen shrinks to a window on my desktop, goes black, and HOW locks up. Has anyone experienced this? Do you know what the problem is? I have the totl expansion installed and all the updated patches.

Thanks, Chris
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 03:12 PM   #2
NobleNick
Quintesson

Chris,

First off...

. . . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . WELCOME to Ironworks and the IWD Forum!!! . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

There is a common problem that some folks have near the end of 6; but it doesn't seem to me that this is what is happening to you. I see something else that I strongly believe is your problem. TotLM **IS** the total and complete patch for IWD/HoW: No other patches are needed nor desired.

If I were you, I would make a back-up of my saved IWD games (adventuring save points) and then do a complete reinstall of IWD, HoW and TotLM, in that order, and nothing else (no patches).

Please let me know if this helps.

What's a party,
Without a song?
Bard's ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 07:11 PM   #3
Mongoose
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks, I'll give that a try tonight!!

My 13 yr old son and I are playing through IWD. We did the BG1,2, etc stuff and got bored with it. They started adding way too much dialogue for us. This looks like a great board so we'll have to stop back more often for tips and tricks.

Thank again,

Chris

[ 10-16-2003, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Mongoose ]
Old 10-16-2003, 10:30 PM   #4
Mongoose
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok, I reloaded everything without any patches. IWD, HOW, TOTL. I copied my saved game back into the mpsave directory and tried again but with the same results. Could someone send me a save game file where they know they can get into ch6 so I can see if I have to go backwards and redo my game or if it's an install problem with a video conflict or something?

Thanks again for the help,

Chris
Old 10-17-2003, 11:03 AM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

Chris,

I think I can help, if you can be patient. Post your e-mail addy (or PM me) and I'll try to get a saved game or two off to you. The problem is that I have a hectic schedule at home, and never get into Ironworks there unless I have a good reason. So , I have to remember your request, get access to the address and figure out which of my e-mail services will allow me to send you an attachment. This could take a few days, or even as long as a week.

(If someone else can help more quickly, by all means, jump in.)

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 01:26 AM   #6
Mongoose
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The last time I uninstalled everything and then started from just IWD; no HOW. When it went blank I got an assertion error on line 1763. So, at least i had something to search for at this point. Found this on the Interplay site and it fixed my problem. Looks like my version may have been from the UK. I bought the IWD original game from Australia so maybe that ties? Hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future.

"Q. I am getting a message saying "Assertion Error at line 1763" around the Lower Dorn's Deep Area. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

This is a uncommon problem experienced by UK users when they are leaving Wyrm's Tooth and trying to enter Lower Dorn's Deep. To fix this, you need to download the English patch: :"