Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2002, 11:50 AM   #1
witsend
Welcomed New User

Hi Everyone
this is my first post so please bear with me,my problem is glaicus inthe de arnise keep i just carnt seem to beat him,this is my first go at a roleplaying game so any advice would be great
thanks
witsend
witsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 11:53 AM   #2
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Hey, Witsend, welcome to IW [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img] !

Concerning Glaicus, try casting Dire Charm on him. If you succeed, he'll be friendly when the spell wears off, and give you some info and an item.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 12:10 PM   #3
fable
Quintesson

Welcome to IW, @Witsend. [img]smile.gif[/img] If you'd rather attack than charm, space out your characters, and send in a few summoned creatures, first. Glacius will try to hit you with area effects, so take the battle to him, first, and don't him concentrate on your party. He has a tendency to run, if I recall correctly; block all exits.
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 12:14 PM   #4
Jim
Quintesson

Hi witsend, welcome,

You can either get the 9000XP for slaying him or the 22000 (IIRC??) for dispelling his charm. Using the charm earth elemental from the ring of earth control (look in the lion statue on the ground floor) dispels the charm with no save I belive.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 12:50 PM   #5
J'aran
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by fable:
Welcome to IW, @Witsend. [img]smile.gif[/img] If you'd rather attack than charm, space out your characters, and send in a few summoned creatures, first. Glacius will try to hit you with area effects, so take the battle to him, first, and don't him concentrate on your party. He has a tendency to run, if I recall correctly; block all exits.

I think you're a bit confused here; Glaicus is a fighter, not a spellcaster, hence he doesn't have anything else to attack you with other than his two-hand sword. No area-effects.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 01:00 PM   #6
fable
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by J'aran:

I think you're a bit confused here; Glaicus is a fighter, not a spellcaster, hence he doesn't have anything else to attack you with other than his two-hand sword. No area-effects.

A fighter type? True, the potions may have made me think he was a spellcaster, but I distinctly recall that he's "frightened" members of my party on two run-throughs. I even made notes about him, and I can visualize the room he was in.

I'll have to take your word for it--a pair of guides I've just checked refer to him as a "guardsman" and "fighter," respectively. But that was a tough battle which definitely involved magic. I'll have to check it on my next go-around.
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 01:36 PM   #7
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

Yes he is a fighter, and he is pretty tough. My solo assassin had to run around that room with the boots of speed for what seemed forever for his 2-3 potions of haste to finally wear off.

I set up traps in the room just before his and lured him back there to do some serious damage after his haste wore off.

Can't remember if I wasn't allowed to backstab him, or if it didn't do enough damage, but once you initialize dialogue his first move is potion of haste, so kill him quick or start running.
Old 01-11-2002, 01:45 PM   #8
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

Forgot you probably have a party, so here is a strat.

Again, set traps in the room before if you have a thief. This will be the fight zone.

The magic types can cast the beneficial spells now or later if you have the boots of speed or several potions.

With boots/potions one fighter type goes in and whacks him and starts the ball rolling. Start running around the room like a scared girl(or solo assassin ) when his haste runs out, let the MU's start casting the beneficial spells and then lure him into that room.

The traps should do some damage, but not kill him. Let your magic users and ranged attackers line up around the room hitting him with arrows and Melf's Minute Meterors of magic arrows if you have them.

Get all your tanks around him and just keep beating him, and let the ranged guys do their work. Don't be afraid to use every spell you have as you can rest afterwards.
Old 01-11-2002, 05:13 PM   #9
SecretMaster
Apophis

Yeah, I think Glacius goes on steroids or somthin, cuz he's a pain in the @$$. Well anyway, if you have thiefs, set some traps, cast slow and magic missle, haste and chant your guys, and go pycho on him.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 09:07 AM   #10
Ike YarakZ
Dungeon Master

i dont know but i just finished him in like 7 seconds...

my party was:
A Beserker
Jahiera
Valygar
Edwin
Yoshi

^
|___ YES I KNOW I HAVE 4 NPC, I LIKE IT THIS WAY...

Maybe i bet him so quickly because of the fact that i have like really good tanks... [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]