Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 10:22 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I have seen RAM advertised in two way: In single gigabyte sticks and in 2x512 sticks which equals a gigabyte's worth. Someone told me that the 2x512 will provide dual channeling. I haven't the slightest idea what the significance of this means! What is the reasoning behind the differences and what do you gain/not gain by going either way? I will be purchasing a motherboard that can take 4Gig of RAM. Thanks.

[ 11-13-2005, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Albromor ]
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:39 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I don't know the term very well, but Google is a friend of mine, and he told me to show you these links for some help.

http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Memory/Dual-Channel/

http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/11,16.html

http://www.computing.net/hardware/ww...rum/38670.html

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31849
Old 11-13-2005, 10:54 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... I don't know much about that fancy dual-channelling stuff, but I can tell you what I do know.

On the motherboard, there are a number of slots for memory. Each slot has a certain configuration (PC2700, PC3200, etc.) that indicates the type of memory it can take. One slot, one stick. That's the way it works.

The total of the memory in the slots is the total memory on the machine. 3 slots, 256MB each, you get 768MB. Make that a 512, a 256, and a 128, and you get... carry the one... 896MB. Some motherboards may not support that much matching -- you may only be allowed two types.

So... memory sticks have to go into slots. One slot, one stick. You want a gig? You can get it on one stick or two.

Having read the first of those links, I'm now more knowledgeable. Dual-channelling is a motherboard feature, and in order to support it, you need to have an even number of memory slots -- not three, like me. You also need a CPU that supports it -- unlike me. And when you get one, dual-channelling simply means the memory works with it -- there's nothing extra special about the memory.

One stick or two, it's all up to you. Of course... if you buy one single 1GB now, you can buy another one later and dual-channel it... [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:00 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Ensure the MB is capable of dual channel. Also, know exactly what speed and type of memory it and the CPU require. Memory is at very long term low at the moment, but, high end DDR2 will still cost a small fortune.

Larry's friend will give you all the answers you need.

In a nutshell, 2x512 in dual channel (4 lane highway) will allow TWO passage ways to operate. Where as single channel (a driveway) won't.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:54 PM   #5
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

To keep it simple, two sticks running in dual channel are faster, but obviously they take up more room, not wont allow you to have your MB's potential of RAM
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:05 AM   #6
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Thanks to all of you; I understand now. The DFI mobo does support dual channeling, but like you said Hive, dual channeling won't allow me to take full advantage of 4 Gigs of RAM. Larry, read all the articles. Wanted you to know your work wasn't wasted!
Old 11-14-2005, 03:07 AM   #7
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Albromor, are you actually going to put 4gbs or RAM into this thing? That's way more than what's needed for day to day tasks, unless you have a specific need for it of course.

2 x 512mbs RAM are better than a 1 gig stick, as they have lower latency times which make things happen quicker, and they are also better if you wish to overclock your computer, in the same respect. But that's a different story.

Personally, I would only buy a 1gb stick just now if I were going to buy 2 1gb sticks at the same time.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:03 AM   #8
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Ross, no I wasn't going to put a full 4 gigs in because I realize that would definitly be overkill. Let me ask you this: What if I got 2 Gigs at 2x512? In other words, 4 sticks of 512 which equals 2 gigs. Doable?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:22 AM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Albromor, I am glad that those links were of interest. I would have never considered it a waste to have posted them because when you asked the question, I realized it was a term I did not know so I investigated it for myself as much as for you.

I have a MoBo that has to have all four slots filled, and came with two duds just to fill them. That meant that I had to have two sticks of real memory there. I ended up buying four sticks of RDRAM of 256MB each. I have dual channeling and did not even know it or what it meant for me. My memory capacity for the system is 2Gig, if I remember well.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:36 AM   #10
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:
Ross, no I wasn't going to put a full 4 gigs in because I realize that would definitly be overkill. Let me ask you this: What if I got 2 Gigs at 2x512? In other words, 4 sticks of 512 which equals 2 gigs. Doable?
Yes, this is doable, I have this in one of my systems, but there is little advantage in that over 2 x 1gb sticks. You can't run double dual channel (which is what I presume you're thinking?) and therefore the extra sticks are really only taking more room up. The only very slight benefit would be a slightly lower latency, but you will see no real performance boost from this, and 1gb sticks' latencies are just about as low as the best 512mb sticks anyway.

Stick with the 2 x 1gb sticks

What was your intended budget for the RAM?