Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2003, 08:05 PM   #11
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Hey! You obviously have taken general Psych. That is exactly what I am feeling. About the food thing...I had eaten Corn Flakes that morning from a new box with a newly opened jug of milk. Both have since proven clean as I had the same thing today with no sickness. Food poison hits one to two hours, based on contamination and body chemistry. This hit me about two anda half hours afterward. I had not eaten anything else, and I am consciously trying to avoid putting my hands anywhere near my face before washing them well as this is the cold and flu season. Supposedly. Hell, it is freaking November and my garden is still giving me produce! When I was born, there was a snow storm. Times have changed.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:15 PM   #12
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
Perhaps the yoghurt was past its used-by date. Although, as has been said, you really can't be sure what made you sick, unless the smoothie was the only thing you ate that day. It could have been something you ate at home, or just some bug you picked up from touching a door knob or something.
Definitely. I've had quite a few cases of food poisoning in my life (comes with eating out all of the time), and from what I've seen it depends on the type of bacteria/virus as to how long it takes before you get symptoms. I've had one instance where I ate something almost 24 hours before I had any symptoms whatsoever. Check everything you ate within 24 hours of your first symptom; you may still have the contaminated item in your house (from the meal previous to the one where you had the smoothie). The funny part is, while people are very concerned about cleanliness and food protection in restaurants, when it comes to their practices at home they tend to be more lax than the restaurants (the restaurant has to worry about lawsuits, health inspections, etc.). Don't just assume it was the smoothy, but if it is, don't be afraid to go back to them and let them know, especially if you plan to go back there again (which will probably be awhile; you will subconsciously associate being sick with the taste of the smoothy, since you probably tasted it on the way out). I had the same problem with strawberry flavored stuff; got sick one time after drinking strawberry Quix (not the cause of the sickness; someone's cooking did that for me), but tasted that flavor when I vomitted. Took a month or two to get past that and eat/drink anything with strawberries, so I feel your pain.

Hope you get to feeling better!
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 11-13-2003, 06:13 AM   #13
Donut
Jack Burton

I suffered from food poisoning a few weeks ago after eating a tuna mayo sandwich from a local shop. My response was not to go back and to alert my co-workers of the situation.

I learnt two things about projectile vomiting that day:

1) It doesn't go on your clothes

2) It doesn't leave that nasty after taste because it's passed your teeth before it can touch the inside of your mouth!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 11-13-2003, 08:01 AM   #14
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

I learnt two things about projectile vomiting that day:

1) It doesn't go on your clothes

2) It doesn't leave that nasty after taste because it's passed your teeth before it can touch the inside of your mouth!
just what i need to be thinking about when i wake up in the morning! thanks, donut that was lovely.

be pregnant with my third child i bet i can top it but not in this thread....

larry i still think you should have a talk with the manager. there are any number of reasons why you got food poisoning from a smoothie, but you should let him at least know you suspect the smoothie and simply want to look out for others without bad mouthing the place. i bet any good general manager to a place wouldn't be happy that such a regular customer got sick, but would like to hear that you would rather have the problem solved/prevented than get revenge.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:09 AM   #15
cloud ff7 38
User suspended until [Nov26]

sue the hell out of that resturant!
get some cash out of it!
Old 11-13-2003, 04:08 PM   #16
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Hey! You obviously have taken general Psych.
Actually I have a degree in psychology
Old 11-13-2003, 11:11 PM   #17
SecretMaster
Apophis

Just one word of advice, don't order "Orange Chicken" from a chinese food restaurant. 3 out of 4 times it made me real sick, and they were different restaurants. There is something about it...

But what do I do? I'll still go back, but i make a mental note never to have it again.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:53 PM   #18
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:

Actually I have a degree in psychology
Then you are about to become my new best friend! I am minoring in Psych. this school term while getting a degree in teaching Spanish, but I will be continuing my education after that degree to go on to get a degree in Psychology too...and maybe become a school guidance counselor. Psych. is my favorite class this semester! I really enjoy it.

Back on topic...I spoke with the person that sold me the Smoothie today and I could tell that he has never been approached before on such an accusation. He was very very sorry and told me everything that he was going to do to ensure that it never happened again, inlcuding talking to the other people that work there and the boss to ensure that everything is clean. He assured me that all fruit and dairy products were fresh and told me that I could examine them myself the next time I wanted to buy from them, since I am the #1 regular. I buy from them twice a week, and will continue to do so, as they are in a building right by one of my class rooms and I need the fill-up they give me before completing the day of class after class with 10 minutes to run from one to the other across campus. (And UNCG is a freaking large place, especially after having to be forced to take detours while they are constructing new stuff, and have the sidewalks all screwed up).

Anyway, I am pretty sure that thier foods will be safe in the future.