Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2003, 12:34 AM   #1
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

Ive been debating with a friend of mine on the subject of mathematics as a required class. Id like to hear what you all have to say on the matter.

I have taken calc 1 2 3 + differential equations...and i personally feel that i am 99.99% likely to NEVER use any of this in a real life application. Really...the only people who need to know this sort of math are engineer types.
(i used to be a mech engr major is why i even took those)
So anyhow, my friend, who is not going to be in that major or even try it on for size, has to take tests that involve mathematics of a lower level, but still a sort of math that the vast majority of the population probably will never use in their daily lives.
So...what do you think - should they force such 'high' level subject matter upon all students? or should it stop at the level of math actually needed by the typical masses daily?
Old 11-12-2003, 12:42 AM   #2
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
After algebra, you aren't likely to use more advanced math. Unless of course you are planning to go into a math centered career. (i.e. Various sciences, architecture, engineering, etc.)

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 11-12-2003, 01:00 AM   #3
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Well, I wouldn't say that the truly "higher" branches of mathematics should be required, but most people misunderstand the true nature of learning mathematics: math teaches you how to solve problems; not just numeric problems, but any kind of problem.

On the other hand, I am more than a little biased since my training is in math. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:26 AM   #4
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Indeed, mathematics is not all about learning special techniques to solve problems, it's more about just getting handy in solving any problem. Maths also increase your overall insight.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:41 AM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

while I may never use the cylinder of revolution, I nevertheless think basic calculus, along with the ability to find the area under a curve, should be taught to EVERYONE. This of course requires basic geomoetry and pre-calc/advanced mat courses. As for Diffy-Q and advance algebra, I feel that gets into the field speciality level, and need only be taught to math majors/mionr and physics majors/minors.

Let's face it, to understand electromagnetic physics and to even have a rudimentary knowledge of what quantum mechanics is all about, you definately need basic calc.

And, in today's world, I think a basic understanding of what quantum mechanics looks at (without specific knowledge/applicability of it) is a BASIC. C'mon, we need to create Whole Citizens, in the Athenian spirit, people who can speak, at least generally, to the issues. If you don't understand, at least at a basic level, why punching a wall infinitely many times will sooner or later result in going *through* the wall, you simply are not fit to carry on higher level discussions combining physics and philosophy.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:09 AM   #6
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

I think that the only reason why this is even a subject, is the fact that kids don't want to learn stuff like (higher) math. Today it's all about teach me barely enough to make loads of money, I don't care about the rest. Man, what stories I could give you about my college buddies, you'd be surprised Holland still has a relatively constant flow of graduates....

So force it: yeah! It hope the kids might even enjoy it for a bit.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:17 AM   #7
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Well as an Engineer I can say that Maths gets a lot nastier beyond where you stopped. I know I am never likely to use anything from my advanced numerical methods classes. If I find the need to wade hip deep in Jacobi polynomials again I will simply hire "friend mathematician" to do the work for me .

I don't see the lower levels of mathematics as a skill - it is more a training in rational thinking and reasoning. It sets people up with the confidence to approach any of life's problems in a logical and rational manner.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:42 AM   #8
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

No, Davros, you do it the really easy way: you buy Mathematica, program what you need, go to lunch, then come back to see the answer on your screen. [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

I agree, most people don't use anything about algebra in their daily life, but if we use that argument then school becomes nothing more than a job training center. Who would want that?

I don't use higher math in my daily life (one of life's little ironies), but I do enjoy a little analytic geometry now and then, as well as some numerical anaylsis. I designed a kiln for my psychotic ex using a hyperbolic cosine curve as the outer structure (think Gateway Arch in St. Louis; no lateral stress forces); one of the few things for which she was thankful during our time together.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:00 AM   #9
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
No, Davros, you do it the really easy way: you buy Mathematica, program what you need, go to lunch, then come back to see the answer on your screen. [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

Well I went and did some research on this Mathematica thing - nice looking package, and it would be great for repetitive high level calcs. For single ones though, it would take more time to program the darn thing from what I read then it would for most people to write out the 4 or 5 pages of A4 to solve from first principles.

Besides, my Uni lecturer told me that life was full of "friend mathematicians & friend statisticians" to make all these worries disappear [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2003, 10:52 AM   #10
cloud ff7 38
User suspended until [Nov26]

Question Mark

I guess you have to fail something so they keep making you take math.