Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2002, 05:28 PM   #21
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
puerto rico is a commonwealth.and i don't see it becoming a state.it's a completely different culture and they don't seem to want tobecome a state.they even field their own olympic team.
and i still doubt the u.s. would get along well with the other members of anglica.we is too uppity!
but could you imagine the dominance of an anglican (or anglica?)olympic team?we'd rule."here,just hand over the hockey and basketball medals here at the opening ceremonies."

At the moment. Things do not remain static.

I can't imagine Europe fielding one combined Olympic team either. Why would the teams need to be united? In the largest sporting competition on the planet - the Football World Cup - England have a different team from Scotland despite both being part of Britain.

Now. Here's a curly one.

What would Quebec do?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 02-23-2002, 06:36 PM   #22
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

confiscate all property of the frenchies and send them back to france.yeeee haaaaa!

--------------------
keep your sissy elven wine!i want some whiskey damnit!
Old 02-25-2002, 12:26 AM   #23
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
confiscate all property of the frenchies and send them back to france.yeeee haaaaa!

--------------------
keep your sissy elven wine!i want some whiskey damnit!

sigh....

Old 02-25-2002, 02:34 AM   #24
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

But if the countries joined, would America want most of the power? After all they have all the military, all the money, all the people, all the land, everything, so most likely we wouldnt get a say in any new policy changes.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 02-25-2002, 02:36 AM   #25
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

This has both its pro's and cons. To see a partial dissolution of borders between such major countries would be great and the impacts on the international community with the merger would (hopefully) bring about many changes. It would be very beneficial to the peoples of the said countries, in both freedom of movement and econmic stability.
On the other hand a sense of indentity would be lost though not to any extreme length. The one thing that would worry me the most is some of NZ's enviromental policies would be overlooked or dismissed, and I think that other countries could learn a lot from these even though NZ still has a long way to go in that regard IMO are heading in the right direction. And aswell with regard to Indigenous peoples of NZ the Maori's huge strides are being taken in giving them back their lost heritage, land and a sense of pride in their culture. An increase of over 40% of Maori's in the last 10 or so years have learnt to speak the Maori language.
But I digress, I just think that these things NZ could contribute to such an alliance. Not Economic or political weight to throw around but rather ideals to learn from.
Old 02-25-2002, 04:53 AM   #26
Donut
Jack Burton

quote:

but could you imagine the dominance of an anglican (or anglica?)olympic team?we'd rule."here,just hand over the hockey and basketball medals here at the opening ceremonies."

Sorry khaz, I don't understand this, as far as I recall Holland won the gold at hockey. Did I miss something?

[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 02-25-2002, 05:11 AM   #27
Donut
Jack Burton

We've had this alliance before and all the countries you mentioned were part of it. We called it the 'British Empire' but everyone else got fed up and stropped off.

No seriously, I think it's a great idea but I disagree with the name. I think we should call it 'Oceania' and that we should rename Britain 'Airstrip 1'. It's a 'novel' idea but we're 18 years late.

No seriously serious. You only have to look at the debates on this forum to see that it would never work. You weren't being serious were you Yorick?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 02-25-2002, 06:30 AM   #28
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
We've had this alliance before and all the countries you mentioned were part of it. We called it the 'British Empire' but everyone else got fed up and stropped off.

No seriously, I think it's a great idea but I disagree with the name. I think we should call it 'Oceania' and that we should rename Britain 'Airstrip 1'. It's a 'novel' idea but we're 18 years late.

No seriously serious. You only have to look at the debates on this forum to see that it would never work. You weren't being serious were you Yorick?

Actually to be serious Oceania sounds like a much better name for such an alliance [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2002, 11:03 AM   #29
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

LOL! Oceania! Look out Nostradamus, George Orwall is the new Seer, Yes a 'novel' idea indeed.

Point taken about the British Empire - except that America left before all of that took off. Before any Commonwealth. Also it's only the nations where the British totally eradicated the natives (or close enough) instead of merely ruling a discontent majority (eg. India, South Africa, Malaysia etc etc). Such a bothersome triviality existing landholders are eh?

Donut, I'm serious about asking the question, but I don't know whether it's a good idea or a bad idea. In light of no-one else arguing "for" I've been suggesting positives, but could quite easily suggest negatives.

The issue of where Australia will fit as the world gathers into blocs, concerns me.

Look at the world Cup as an example of sorts. Oceania is too populationaly small to stand alone. So the winner is either part of Asia, or part of....South America?

Australia is the largest Oceanic country with 20 million. New Zealand 3 million, and then there are the 'Nesias'. Poly, Micro, Mela.

For Americans they face the prospect of being outnumbered by China and also the European Union. If Asia gathers into a bloc what a monsterous market power that would be.

It's just something I was thinking about. It has some merit, it has disadvantages. It may be unworkable. But then is Europe working?

Well, it's good coffee table discussion anyway, and conversation makes the world go round (sort of).

Old 02-25-2002, 11:06 AM   #30
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:

Actually to be serious Oceania sounds like a much better name for such an alliance [img]smile.gif[/img]

Except that it's already the name for the nations of the Pacific Ocean. [img]smile.gif[/img]