Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2002, 09:06 PM   #1
Tiamat
Banned User

Like the title sez, its just a comparison!

Class Wise: Bg2 does win hands down in the selection, but D2 has more skills to learn and the spells are quite powerful when 'maxed'.

You cannot choose race in D2, (which may be wy the assasin's not so popular (girl)) BG2 offers diffrent racial choices like Elf, Half-Elf and Dwarf.

Uberwise: Ok....... in BG2, we all know that the mage is the most powerful thing on earth at higher levels. In D2, the Amazon rules with a good bow or a good javlin.

D2 is a mana based game, wile BG2 is a memorization game (when it comes to spells)
Old 02-21-2002, 09:09 PM   #2
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

BGII all the way. there's more roleplaying, more (and better!) classes, along with a multitude more spells. it's hardly even worth comparing, in my eyes. DII gets boring after about 3 hours, but BGII will keep you glued to your seat while the glucose builds up over a day! trust me...
Old 02-22-2002, 02:31 AM   #3
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

BG2 is all about role-play. D2 is all about how many monsters you can smash before having to rest and resupply.
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Old 02-22-2002, 04:16 AM   #4
Manwe
Manshoon

Hmm, i thought that the Sorceress was the most powerful class in D2... atleast what i've heard from some friends who play D2... Anyway i prefer BG2
Old 02-22-2002, 01:21 PM   #5
MagiK

They aren't even the same type of game...its like comparing apples and oranges.

Old 02-22-2002, 01:34 PM   #6
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

As a simple hack'n'slash addict, I've got to confess I've started BG three or four times, but never really got into it.

DII I bought, played until my character was about lvl 65+ then gave up because it just lacked the sheer fun I had with original Diablo...............so...........

After my HD crashed and I lost all my data recently, the first game I have reinstalled is (not Darkstone ) Diablo and Hellfire - and I am having FUN!!!! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 02-22-2002, 01:45 PM   #7
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

If you ask me, BG2 beats D2 hands down, for the sheer roleplayability, in D2 all you do is walk around clicking the mouse on creatures until you win, or you die then respawn to try again and again.
I'm not saying D2 doesn't have it's charms, but I would pick BG2 over D2 any time
Old 02-22-2002, 07:07 PM   #8
Tiamat
Banned User

Havent even begun replaying bg2 since i got d2....... man d2's addictive...
Old 02-25-2002, 05:04 PM   #9
NobleNick
Quintesson

As was mentioned, they are very different kinds of games. D2 is really a very good arcade adventure, with a role play feel; whereas the BIS games are strictly role play adventure. (I am playing IWD, which is same engine, theme and producer as BG.) I am struck by how much strategy comes into play in IWD, as compared to D2.

I think D2 and the BIS games are both great! One is a great action/adventure game and the other is a great roleplay/adventure/strategy game. I have both D2 and IWD/HoW/TotLM, and alternate between the two. I must admit that IWD is the more engrossing of the two, and I spend more time with it; but when I want a break to get an action and adrenaline fix, nothing can deliver like Diablo II.
Old 02-25-2002, 07:23 PM   #10
fable
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
They aren't even the same type of game...its like comparing apples and oranges.

Here, here. Just because the PR firm hired by the Diablo developers kept up a mantra stating "it's an RPG," doesn't make it so. I think anybody who has truly played a RPG (either PnP, or BG2) knows the difference.