Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2004, 02:59 PM   #1
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I'm trying to make a power-party to breeze though SoA and ToB, without any mods or cheats (except for the banter pack, that's just for fun).

Here's my proposed party, please advise/comment:

Krunchy(Protagonist): Berserker/Cleric, dual classed after level 13 Berseker. I love the idea of dual weilding the Flail of Ages with the Defender of Easthaven.
Edwin: Best Mage in the game. Need I add more?
Imoen: All the Thief I need, and an awesome backup Mage. Yoshimo will be used up until this point. She'll be sniping off baddies with the Gesen bow when not casting a spell.
Korgan: Dwarves rock, and this one is probably the best straight Fighter in the game. I consider dual weilding axes (Axe of Unyeilding) and hammers (Crom Faeyr) to be the most powerful combo of weapons in the game. This dude already has a head start in that direction.
Keldorn: I like this pompous jerk. He weilds the most powerful single weapon in the game, Carsomyr, and he's sure to have awesome banters with the evil people in my party.
Jaheira: Druids are cool, Fighter/Druids are cooler. Jaheira is my romantic interest, she's a great backup tank in this party, and when she (finally) reaches level 15 as a Druid, she's uber-powerful.

I think the party is well rounded, with two mages, two divine casters, and two great tanks, with two other members being able to fight as well. I'm a little stumped on what equipment to settle on for Jaheira, but I think I should give her some shields, since no one else will use them. My only worry will be making sure my reputation stays at/under 18. I'm pretty sure none of my party members will fight one another (I've never seen Keldorn and Edwin fight), but if anyone knows otherwise, please LMK.

[ 08-06-2004, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: krunchyfrogg ]
Old 08-06-2004, 04:39 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

My "most powerful" party would be:
  • PC - Sorcerer
  • Cleric/Ranger
  • Fighter/Mage
  • Kensai->Thief
  • Blade
  • Archer
Any party can be powerful if Player 1 is smart enough to control it.
Good party, I agree. The PC should be a C/R.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 04:43 PM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Assuming we're using ToB...

Mara (My generic name for the PC) the sorceress: Feel the wrath of a Child of Bhaal! Comes complete with Robe of Vecna, Amulet of Power, and Improved Alacrity. Screens filled with enemies dead before the spell expires! Void where prohibited, all restrictions apply.
Aerie: The most versatile NPC spellcaster. Epic level spells in a neat little trigger! Who can resist?
Jahiera: A fighter who can cast, among potent offensive spells, Iron Skins. Good luck landing a blow on that one. Not to mention the following equation:
Elemental Transformation + Greater Whirlwind Attack = Lots of dead enemies
ToB NPC
Imoen: With the ability to cast powerful spells coupled with the ability to use any item at higher levels, she can also get rid of nasty traps so you don't have to!
Keldorn: Because somebody has to use Carsomyr.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 06:00 PM   #4
Andraste
Manshoon

I'd agree with Illumina, except I'd have Mazzy instead of Keldorn, and start putting * in halberds as soon as I get her. Partly because she looks funny with a weapon twice as big as herself, but mainly because of the very nice one you can get in TOB.
Andraste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 06:26 PM   #5
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Xen, I know I didn't include it in my original post, but my intent was to play a single-player game here.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:33 AM   #6
whathuh
The Magister

you can switch multiplayer games to single player games if you want to, I love the insta-pause technique from single that you dont get when multiplayer.

If you want to keep your rep down, dont do some quests, or dont get certain rewards. The underdark has some nice places to ruin your rep. and your special ability(would it be a spoiler?) is useful in that aspect.

My party of Power NPCs

Me-Barbarian
Nalia
Imoen
Jan
Minsc
I dont really NEED another one, but maybe viconcia or jaheira.

Magic heavy parties are always a good choice.
whathuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 03:22 AM   #7
IronDragon
Elminster

For power:

PC – Paladin meaning only one thing, Carsomyr. I have used all three kits and I like all three for different reasons

Anomen – like him or loathe him his is a great Cleric and with his early career as a fighter he is a decent tank in his won right. I always shove *’s into flails and dual wield and when he wades into a battle with the Flail of Ages in one hand and Crom Faeyr (or the mace of disruption if the bad guys are no longer breathing) in the other nothing lasts for very long

Valygar. – dual wielding Cleestial Fury and Daystar.

Tashia – best sorcerer in the game. Giver her the robe of Vecna and the staff of the magi and she just mows down bad guys.

Imoen – has more than enough thieving skills for the game and makes a prefect back up mage.

Mazzy - there is no better sniper in the game. And her accent rocks.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:37 AM   #8
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

PC - Sorcerer
Cleric/Ranger
Beserker => Mage (or a kensai mage if you wanna make the robe of the apprenti)
Fighter
Fighter => Assassi9n (not compleetly fair. but ubercool)
Archer

one main spellcaster
one support caster that can fight (and which in rage is immune to imprisonment)
one Tank
one Tank/Healer
one superbackstabber/Tank
one backup Archer
Old 08-07-2004, 01:07 PM   #9
Maidros
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, there are plenty of combinations possible and I suspect that the 'best' or 'most powerful' often depends on playing styles as much as actual power. For what it is worth, I would say,
PC - Fighter/mage/thief - the one man commando - can demolish most things with ease, no other class has that versatility.

Jaheira - probably the most powerful NPC, has no weaknesses at all (except for a slightly lower HP and even this can be remedied).

Aerie - her contingencies are awesome, makes for a decent backline archer (good dex score) and at higher levels, can cut through undead (turn undead) like a knife through hot butter. She has all the defensive spells and is the one stop magic shop.

Keldorn - dispelling is just awesome and his fighting stats are also quite decent(just get him the gauntlets of dex. from the undead city).

Valygar or Mazzy (You need an archer and these are the two best archers in the game).

Imoen - the second best mage in the game and she is extremely useful with a bow as well (in contrast to Edwin who, with his THACO and dex. will have trouble hitting a barn door without magic). Also, she has much better stats than Edwin. Get her some equipment like the ring of acuity/wizardry and you have a great mage and thief.

[ 08-07-2004, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Maidros ]
Maidros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 01:55 PM   #10
Andraste
Manshoon

How about

Jaheria
Imoen
Mazzy
Keldorn (replace in TOB)
Aeire

This gives you
3 tanks
2 mages
2 clerics (1 druid, 1 priest)
1 thief

This covers all the bases, so you can use the PC to enhance for your own playing style

If you like magic (my pref) play a sorcerer.

If you like thievery, let Imoen take care of the boring bits and concentrate on stealth. Play an assassin or a fighter thief who can really make the backstab multiplier hurt.

If you like charging into battle, play a berserker.

If you want something different, play a skald, sing your heart out and see what the party can do when they have all the +4 advantages.
Andraste is offline   Reply With Quote